Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   CGSSA Southern California Chapters (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=288)
-   -   Long Range spot at Hodge Rd? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=905956)

MEDIC! 03-13-2014 7:42 AM

Long Range spot at Hodge Rd?

I shoot at Hodge Rd regularly. It is only about 20 minutes from my house so the convenience is great. I have driven around out there and found some great spots to shoot out to about 400 yards. That is great for handguns, shotguns and AR/AK platforms, but I am really hoping to find a spot out there to shoot my bolt guns farther. Ideally, I would like to shoot as far as 1000 yards or so.

I have seen many people on this forum and others talk about shooting at those ranges at Hodge Rd. I have even seen a few YouTube videos that verify the existence of such spots but I have yet to find one. Admittedly, I have not ventured too far off of Hodge Rd itself usually due to time constraints. I know that there are roads that cut out into the desert from there.

My question is, if you have shot 6-700yards or more at Hodge Rd, would you please contact me via PM (I know you probably don't want your spot being shared with everyone on the internet)? If you could provide me directions, GPS coordinates, Google Maps screen shot, or anything else, I would appreciate it. I will be going out there Sunday, 3/16/14 to look around some more and shoot for a bit. If you want to come and show me your spot, I'll bring the steel targets, EZ-Up, table, chairs, ice chest, etc.

Thanks in advance

-Matt

obpwankel 03-14-2014 2:09 AM

you don't mind to share your 400 yard spot?

this will be first time going over to hodge and i don't know a location to shoot

Pm me if you wanna share it, thanks.

MEDIC! 03-14-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obpwankel (Post 13646549)

this will be first time going over to hodge and i don't know a location to shoot

Let me figure out how to explain directions and get a screen shot of a map of where we go and I will send you a pm.

MEDIC! 03-14-2014 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obpwankel (Post 13646549)

pm sent.

TTT

anyone?

MEDIC! 03-15-2014 8:37 AM

TTT

8mmFMJ 03-24-2014 9:51 PM

Went to hodge yesterday. Over 300 people counted in a 5 mile circle around the hills. Not one place to be alone. Left hodge not sure when I'll be back to that mess of a place. I'm local too. PM me and I'll take you to some 1000-6000 yard areas.

steelbones 05-17-2014 10:23 AM

Just a bit of advice for those who like to shoot out in that area. Hodge rd according to the BLM website is off limits to shooting anything other than shotgun and only during hunting season. This is a highly used legal off road area and is very chancy for shooting high velocity firearms. As far as my reasearch finds the only place for legal open shooting in the High Desert area is off of Ghost Town road just north of Bakersfield an exit or two.

firehawk1 05-18-2014 9:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelbones (Post 14106838)
Just a bit of advice for those who like to shoot out in that area. Hodge rd according to the BLM website is off limits to shooting anything other than shotgun and only during hunting season. This is a highly used legal off road area and is very chancy for shooting high velocity firearms. As far as my reasearch finds the only place for legal open shooting in the High Desert area is off of Ghost Town road just north of Bakersfield an exit or two.

Only the area EAST/SOUTH of the 15fwy is OHV only and firearm restricted. WEST/NORTH of the freeway is legal as long as its not too close to the freeway and not at/near the cell tower