Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Riverside Chapter (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=360)
-   -   STEELE PEAK SHOOTING AREA (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=693565)

Sargeant Satan 01-31-2013 10:00 PM

STEELE PEAK SHOOTING AREA

Come on guys. Lets pick up the trash out there after you are done shooting. There is now a huge federal sign at the entrance to the BLM shooting area that is from the Bureau itself stating that Steele Peak will be shut down if we can't keep it clean. It's now quite a popular spot and more and more hoodlums are shooting out there. I'm not blaming the Calgunners, but the punk kids that don't give a heck. I shoot out there every week. I was happy to see a guy in a truck loading his bed up with a bunch of trash, as we loaded up our 2 trucks also. We always take out more than what we bring. A little help goes a long way. Its pretty sad seeing such a good shooting area getting trashed. Pick up yours and then some and lecture those little hoodlums if you see them leaving crap.

Sargeant Satan 01-31-2013 10:03 PM

I talked to the Ranger and he said they are at their last straw of threatening to close it down. If it doesnt change out there, they will in fact close the area to shooting.

G38xOC 01-31-2013 10:18 PM

where is this place ?

G38xOC 02-01-2013 4:35 PM

I always thought that place was privately owned . just like burro range . didnt know it was open field . suks that its about to get closed down soon .

sean714 02-01-2013 8:26 PM

Last time i was there was a bunch of tires,paint buckets,poles,trash,etc. I seen alot of crap on the west side of steele peak. We should get another clean up set up so we can prevent this place from closing.

Lead_Rain 02-01-2013 8:31 PM

Crud I Live about 5 miles as the crow flies in Wildomar. I wanted to go up there and check out the gold mines, I didn't know you could shoot up there.

Can somebody tell me how exactly to get up there?
I have 2 buddies I was going to Lytle creek with tomorrow early but I can take my big trash day dumpster up there and pick up trash when I'm not shooting if I can find it.

Eat Dirt 02-01-2013 8:42 PM

Here's a link to the Cal-Gun Clean-Up thread ::

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=606961

We have had 2 Clean-Ups there with Great turn out
The BLM provided the dumpsters and the Cal-Gun members provided the work..........

But as of now they don't have the funds to set-up for another dumpster
So , Any members here doing clean-up on thier own is Great help

Eat Dirt 02-01-2013 8:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargeant Satan (Post 10387530)
I talked to the Ranger and he said they are at their last straw of threatening to close it down. If it doesnt change out there, they will in fact close the area to shooting.

How long ago did you talk to a ranger ??
And
Which one was it ??

I need intell to check this out with BLM contacts

Lead_Rain 02-01-2013 8:58 PM

Thanks Man I might check it out tomorrow.
Can I shoot .308 There?

I got it on Google earth. Piece of cake for my Frontier to get up there.

If you see a grey 4x4 Nissan Frontier tomorrow morning beginning about 8:30 to 9 am with a big black trash dumpster that is me, Chris

Sargeant Satan 02-01-2013 10:44 PM

I just love this place over Bee Canyon in Hemet. I can set up to do 1000 yard shooting around back of Peak verse 150 yards at Bee. Its better being close to home than my typical spot on BLM in Ocotillo Wells. Even though we can reach out to endless yardage out there

Lead_Rain 02-02-2013 5:39 AM

Ok see you there.
Should be the perfect day for exercising your 2A rights...

Sargeant Satan 02-02-2013 6:58 AM

Yes you can shoot 308 there. That's what I shoot mostly out there. Be out there this afternoon sometime. Have a white Tacoma Crew Cab.

Sargeant Satan 02-02-2013 7:02 AM

Lets keep it clean this weekend fellow shooters. Pick up a little extra for its the weekends that the careless shooters bring, shoot up and leave their trash. Just talk to people out there. If we don't act soon, an awesome long range shooting area will be gone.

boltmopar 02-02-2013 2:05 PM

Didnt look too bad, a lot off shot gun hulls everywhere though. I didn't go that far and set up shop by where Eat Dirt sets up the ez ups for the cleans ups. Not sure what it looks like further down. We did take two trash bags with us. Can't fit too much in the cherokee when we got four people.

Lead_Rain 02-02-2013 5:14 PM

Had a great day breaking the new Taurus .357 and Benelli M2. Got my steel ringers out to 375 used where when were situated for the AR's and M1A. We left with all of our brass and shotgun shells plus several hundred shot shells we raked up. On the other hand there were TV's, doors and God knows everything else scattered around we couldn't carry. Great place to shoot and only minutes from my house. I hope we can keep it open.

Sargeant Satan 02-06-2013 5:12 PM

I was out on Super Bowl Sunday. It was looking much cleaner. It looks like the new sign is scaring people to pick up. We went around back to do some long range and loaded up as much as we could fit in my truck. Getting better, but still needs work out there!

guitarman584 02-07-2013 11:09 AM

Could someone pm me the GPS coordinates? I think I found them already but want to make sure it's the right place. I am willing to help with cleaning up if it means they won't close it. This is much closer than driving to Palm Springs to shoot. Thanks.

Sargeant Satan 02-07-2013 3:30 PM

Steele Peak GPS

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarman584 (Post 10454740)
Could someone pm me the GPS coordinates? I think I found them already but want to make sure it's the right place. I am willing to help with cleaning up if it means they won't close it. This is much closer than driving to Palm Springs to shoot. Thanks.

Message Sent

oldfartdiehard 02-07-2013 6:59 PM

Some one share this old man this area, I'm thinking about going this weekend but have no clue where the site is. I have a truck I dont mind hauling a load to my local disposal area. I'm also willing to help out on other site clean up as well.

guitarman584 02-08-2013 8:30 AM

By the looks of it on Google earth this is flat land. Am I correct? I don't really want to shoot my 30.06 without some sort of backstop.

Sargeant Satan 02-08-2013 8:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarman584 (Post 10465101)
By the looks of it on Google earth this is flat land. Am I correct? I don't really want to shoot my 30.06 without some sort of backstop.

Its all hills and mountains with plenty of backstop. Just pick up around you when you are done.

guitarman584 02-08-2013 9:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargeant Satan (Post 10465317)
Its all hills and mountains with plenty of backstop. Just pick up around you when you are done.

Yeah I just realized that I should have went to street view. Everything I take with me, leaves with me. I can't stand people who are too lazy to not at least pick up their stuff.

dzhao20 02-08-2013 6:35 PM

Is it possible to PM me the direction for this area as well? I'll be willing to contribute on the cleaning up the range or land that we shoot too :x Shame on the people who cant wipe for themselves. They got to have people like us to wipe them after they finish : X

bishop2queen's6 02-08-2013 6:45 PM

X2 on the gps coords please. I am very responsible shooter with a degree in envionmental engineering. My buddies and I haul away 3 pick ups worth of trash after shooting.

Thank you

jurrd87 02-08-2013 6:51 PM

I don't have spare ammo to shoot, but am more than willing to clean up. If someone could get get with me to provide coordinates i can go out this weekend. Thanks.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

jhoveln 02-08-2013 7:19 PM

Anyone interested in going out with me on Thursday the 21st or Friday the 22nd? I've got a rolling trash can I can bring to fill with trash plus the bed of my truck. I think I know where I'm going but would prefer to go with someone who's been before. I'll have my new .308 bolt action Savage and lots of ammo by then. :-)

3006mv 02-11-2013 12:57 PM

i will help clean that weekend.
i predict this place will end up getting closed this year from the look of it the last time i was there, besides picking up a few brass pieces and shotshell hulls that weren't mine i filled a garbage bag full of junk which is just a drop in the bucket at this place. all it takes is some anti to take pix of that place and forward to the blm office to shut that down so don't let it happen! especially since i am about to get a savage .308 bolt action also :D

TacoTodd 02-11-2013 1:37 PM

I will prob be there this week. Most likely Sunday with gf and her kids. I already told the kids they can not shoot unless they help clean first. I am bringing gloves, trash bags, rake and shovels. I have never been there but I am eager to try it. I found it on google maps(I think) but GPS cords would def be appreciated too if you guys have them

stilly 02-11-2013 3:23 PM

I wonder if we can get CR&R to just provide a dumpster out there and bill it to the City of Perris like they do at the REAL Perris range...

mrprazor 02-11-2013 4:12 PM

I think eveyone who leaves there targets behind think they are doing someone else a favor. please dont take it with you and then some if you can
and remeber don't shot the rocks if you can

cliffv 02-12-2013 2:48 PM

I hate to be a "Me Too" person but can I please get directions to this area. It's definitely closer to me than Barstow. I have my rake and garbage bags waiting!

Thanks,

Cliff

oldfartdiehard 02-12-2013 5:25 PM

looking at google earth with the blm over lay, I may have an idea where this is located but would be nice if someone confirm the actual location..

Livetoride33 02-12-2013 5:39 PM

I was out there today as well as last Friday.

There is 5hit everywhere.

There was a lady ranger out putting "trail Closed" signs up on the off shoots from the main road.

I picked up some extra crap today and would be happy to do it again with more people.

I have a grey F250 with a white alpinestar sticker on the rear window.

This weekend is supposed to be nice and I would be willing to come out and help clean. The trails are getting pretty rutted but my 2wd gets up them just fine.

I seat 6 including the driver so if anyone wants to start an un-official clean up this weekend, I'll buy trash bags and can get people in if they only have cars.

I did see signs of people raking up their stuff, but the shotgun shells are out of control.

Sorry, dont have GPS coordinates but can lead they way if we clean up.

TacoTodd 02-12-2013 7:45 PM

I will be there on Sunday(2/17) with trash bags, rakes, shovel etc etc to do some clean up before we shoot. I am aiming to bet there by 830. All are welcome to join. I have 2 adults and 2 kids confirmed with maybe 3 more adults joining too. .
Livetoride33 I inboxed you

We need to take care of it before they shut it down

Livetoride33 02-13-2013 6:14 AM

Todd,

I'll be up there.

OldFart Pm'd me too. I'll respond to him as well.

cliffv 02-13-2013 7:43 AM

My son and I will be there Sunday ready for work!

Cliff

TacoTodd 02-13-2013 8:05 AM

Sounds great everyone! Spread the word and hopefully more will join us for the clean up then some plinking afterwards.

oldfartdiehard 02-13-2013 6:26 PM

Sunday it is...

TacoTodd 02-13-2013 7:18 PM

Head count:
Myself (+3)
Oldfartdiehard
Livetoride33
Cliffv (+1)

And a few more of my friends might come to .

wgasa84 02-14-2013 6:06 AM

Hey guys & gals. I'm new to calguns.net...

My family (4 total) is looking at going out there Sunday, too. We always pickup more than our fair share. I'm looking for some GPS coord's like everyone else.

Is the area big enough for multiple groups to shoot? We are going to be sighting in our rifles and plinking.

I'll bring some tools to help clean up as well as a trash can and bags.

Thanks,
Chris

ninjastar310 02-14-2013 10:01 AM

Hey well I plan to go this firday(Feb 15) with my sis and friend and if anyone wants to join me, shoot me a msg. As for this spot, this will be my first time going their and was wondering how does it work other than picking up after myself and them some. But here are my question

1-Where exactly is the location?
2- Is their a certain spot that we have to set up or is it just pick a spot and shoot?
3-Are their any ristrictions like shot guns only?
4-What else should I take into consiteration like bringing a table or using a car that is 4x4 or anything of the sort?

And like my sgts use to say even though its a mess, you got to leave make it better than it was.

Livetoride33 02-14-2013 10:27 AM

Answers:

1. Top Secret
2. Make sure you go over the hill...I have heard both sides of legal/illegal to shoot right after entering, but follow the rules...(no shooting within 150 yeards of buildings)
3. No
4. A table and chairs are nice. This is empty land. The trails are a mess right not from the rain so without a pickup or SUV with some decent ground clearance, you may get stuck.

If you pack it in, pack it out.

Livetoride33 02-14-2013 10:29 AM

PS. Its not top secret. It showed up on my phone...WITH directions...lol.

Look for a gun club on your BLM map. The entrance is just sought of it.

Jeepway 02-15-2013 12:22 PM

I was out there yesterday. After shooting a little I worked my mag-sweeper over a couple of turnouts, picking up steel casing, etc. I also did a little raking too. Took home a 4 gal bucket full of steel casings and shotgun hulls.

I was actually pissed off seeing all the glass that stupid #$%^'s are shooting. I'm going to assume that CG'rs aren't the one's doing this stupid crap. Everyone needs to pick up their damn shotgun hulls too. Glass and empty hulls are the first things that catch the eye due to their reflectiveness and colors. At least hulls can be picked up with a mag-sweeper although they're a pain due to size...but glass is a nightmare to clean up.

The whole situation, and the types of people that cause the closures just piss me off. Lazy, inconsiderate, selfish POS's.

I'll try to make it out Sunday but no guarantee's. Any 'start' time you all are meeting out there?

SanPedroShooter 02-15-2013 2:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepway (Post 10544345)
I was out there yesterday. After shooting a little I worked my mag-sweeper over a couple of turnouts, picking up steel casing, etc. I also did a little raking too. Took home a 4 gal bucket full of steel casings and shotgun hulls.

I was actually pissed off seeing all the glass that stupid #$%^'s are shooting. I'm going to assume that CG'rs aren't the one's doing this stupid crap. Everyone needs to pick up their damn shotgun hulls too. Glass and empty hulls are the first things that catch the eye due to their reflectiveness and colors. At least hulls can be picked up with a mag-sweeper although they're a pain due to size...but glass is a nightmare to clean up.

The whole situation, and the types of people that cause the closures just piss me off. Lazy, inconsiderate, selfish POS's.

I'll try to make it out Sunday but no guarantee's. Any 'start' time you all are meeting out there?

Thank you.

conwaj 02-15-2013 2:46 PM

New to the group today. I think I know the location and plan on being there Sunday to help with the cleanup - 4 people but small pickup.

John

Livetoride33 02-15-2013 2:51 PM

I saw 8:30 am. I will be there. Grey F250 with white alpinestar logo on the rear window. I may have room to bring some people over the hill if they bring cars.

Like I said earlier, the trails are getting rough but not imposible.

Jeepway-I bought a mag sweeper too...hopefully it will work better than bending over and picking 'em up.

I'm bringing trashbags and some buckets. If I can get any money for all the steel I pick up, I will use the funds for more supplies to keep the cleaning going.

TacoTodd 02-15-2013 3:13 PM

Kuddos to Jeepway for his efforts today.
I will be there with in my Silverado w my American Flag. I will be wearing a red fmf shirt so everyone can find me. ;) Maybe I will have the kids make a sign that says range clean up on some bright colored poster board so maybe others will help too who are there. I have 3 buckets and 5 or more easy reaches ( http://www.harborfreight.com/36-inch...ool-94870.html ). I also have a few tarps to shot on so it will catch all my brass when they fall. They are on sale at harbor freight for $2.79(7ftx9ft) if you guys need some. I also have a dozen 30 gallon trash bags, rakes, shovels and lots of pairs of gloves. I will try to bring a case of water bottles too. The only thing I dont have is a magnetic sweeper. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a head count of my friends who are joining us too.

TacoTodd 02-15-2013 3:28 PM

*Updated* Head count:
Myself (+3)
Oldfartdiehard
Livetoride33
Cliffv (+1)
Wgasa84 (+3)

And a few more of my friends might come to .

Cahooting 02-15-2013 3:35 PM

Myself (+3)
Oldfartdiehard
Livetoride33
Cliffv (+1)
Wgasa84 (+3)
Cahooting

I will be in a silver tundra with a blue tree on the side.