Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Riverside Chapter (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=360)
-   -   STEELE PEAK SHOOTING AREA (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=693565)

ninjastar310 02-14-2013 10:01 AM

Hey well I plan to go this firday(Feb 15) with my sis and friend and if anyone wants to join me, shoot me a msg. As for this spot, this will be my first time going their and was wondering how does it work other than picking up after myself and them some. But here are my question

1-Where exactly is the location?
2- Is their a certain spot that we have to set up or is it just pick a spot and shoot?
3-Are their any ristrictions like shot guns only?
4-What else should I take into consiteration like bringing a table or using a car that is 4x4 or anything of the sort?

And like my sgts use to say even though its a mess, you got to leave make it better than it was.

Livetoride33 02-14-2013 10:27 AM

Answers:

1. Top Secret
2. Make sure you go over the hill...I have heard both sides of legal/illegal to shoot right after entering, but follow the rules...(no shooting within 150 yeards of buildings)
3. No
4. A table and chairs are nice. This is empty land. The trails are a mess right not from the rain so without a pickup or SUV with some decent ground clearance, you may get stuck.

If you pack it in, pack it out.

Livetoride33 02-14-2013 10:29 AM

PS. Its not top secret. It showed up on my phone...WITH directions...lol.

Look for a gun club on your BLM map. The entrance is just sought of it.

Jeepway 02-15-2013 12:22 PM

I was out there yesterday. After shooting a little I worked my mag-sweeper over a couple of turnouts, picking up steel casing, etc. I also did a little raking too. Took home a 4 gal bucket full of steel casings and shotgun hulls.

I was actually pissed off seeing all the glass that stupid #$%^'s are shooting. I'm going to assume that CG'rs aren't the one's doing this stupid crap. Everyone needs to pick up their damn shotgun hulls too. Glass and empty hulls are the first things that catch the eye due to their reflectiveness and colors. At least hulls can be picked up with a mag-sweeper although they're a pain due to size...but glass is a nightmare to clean up.

The whole situation, and the types of people that cause the closures just piss me off. Lazy, inconsiderate, selfish POS's.

I'll try to make it out Sunday but no guarantee's. Any 'start' time you all are meeting out there?

SanPedroShooter 02-15-2013 2:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeepway (Post 10544345)
I was out there yesterday. After shooting a little I worked my mag-sweeper over a couple of turnouts, picking up steel casing, etc. I also did a little raking too. Took home a 4 gal bucket full of steel casings and shotgun hulls.

I was actually pissed off seeing all the glass that stupid #$%^'s are shooting. I'm going to assume that CG'rs aren't the one's doing this stupid crap. Everyone needs to pick up their damn shotgun hulls too. Glass and empty hulls are the first things that catch the eye due to their reflectiveness and colors. At least hulls can be picked up with a mag-sweeper although they're a pain due to size...but glass is a nightmare to clean up.

The whole situation, and the types of people that cause the closures just piss me off. Lazy, inconsiderate, selfish POS's.

I'll try to make it out Sunday but no guarantee's. Any 'start' time you all are meeting out there?

Thank you.

conwaj 02-15-2013 2:46 PM

New to the group today. I think I know the location and plan on being there Sunday to help with the cleanup - 4 people but small pickup.

John

Livetoride33 02-15-2013 2:51 PM

I saw 8:30 am. I will be there. Grey F250 with white alpinestar logo on the rear window. I may have room to bring some people over the hill if they bring cars.

Like I said earlier, the trails are getting rough but not imposible.

Jeepway-I bought a mag sweeper too...hopefully it will work better than bending over and picking 'em up.

I'm bringing trashbags and some buckets. If I can get any money for all the steel I pick up, I will use the funds for more supplies to keep the cleaning going.

TacoTodd 02-15-2013 3:13 PM

Kuddos to Jeepway for his efforts today.
I will be there with in my Silverado w my American Flag. I will be wearing a red fmf shirt so everyone can find me. ;) Maybe I will have the kids make a sign that says range clean up on some bright colored poster board so maybe others will help too who are there. I have 3 buckets and 5 or more easy reaches ( http://www.harborfreight.com/36-inch...ool-94870.html ). I also have a few tarps to shot on so it will catch all my brass when they fall. They are on sale at harbor freight for $2.79(7ftx9ft) if you guys need some. I also have a dozen 30 gallon trash bags, rakes, shovels and lots of pairs of gloves. I will try to bring a case of water bottles too. The only thing I dont have is a magnetic sweeper. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a head count of my friends who are joining us too.

TacoTodd 02-15-2013 3:28 PM

*Updated* Head count:
Myself (+3)
Oldfartdiehard
Livetoride33
Cliffv (+1)
Wgasa84 (+3)

And a few more of my friends might come to .

Cahooting 02-15-2013 3:35 PM

Myself (+3)
Oldfartdiehard
Livetoride33
Cliffv (+1)
Wgasa84 (+3)
Cahooting

I will be in a silver tundra with a blue tree on the side.

Rightwinger 02-15-2013 3:38 PM

Preaching to the choir here (Calguns).. Most of us that use this spot not only clean up our own mess but others who are not so courteous... I feel your frustration, I tell everybody that's next to me to clean-up after them self, I don't care what they think - I'm packing too!!!

Holydude13 02-16-2013 7:43 AM

Hello everyone I'm new to calguns and kinda new to shooting, I am planning on going to this place on Sunday morning and want thank everyone for the great info, I will be bringing a canopy,water, and cleanup buckets and will be driving a black ford explorer with a don't tread on me sticker. Hope to meet some new people, and I just had one question is it okay to skeet shoot up there?

Jeepway 02-16-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holydude13 (Post 10552050)
is it okay to skeet shoot up there?

Yes, just throw so you're not raining down shot on anybody. And PLEASE, pick up your hulls. I hope to be out there too, so hope to meet you as well as the others.

I'll be in a tan Jeep probably between 9-10am and will focus on mag-sweeping...and will bring more buckets this time. Not sure I'll even shoot this trip.

Holydude13 02-16-2013 12:08 PM

@jeepaway, thanks for the onfo. Oh and sorry if I sound like an idiot but what did you mean by just throw so I don't rain down shot ? Did you mean only use the hand clay thrower ? Like I said I'm still new too this my bad

GordonLWilliams 02-16-2013 12:44 PM

BLM Steele Peak Shooting Site

For you shotgun shooters here in Riverside...Bullseye Gun Shop on Brockton Avenue is now carrying the White Flyers....$13.99 + tax for 135 birds. The grandson and I was out there twice in the past 2 weeks and I can't for the life of me understand why fellow gunshot shooters are NOT picking up their hulls. If your friends or neighbors are using this site, just REMIND THEM THAT THEY NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT THEIR HULLS AND TARGETS ARE PICKED UP AND TAKEN WITH THEM WHEN THEY LEAVE. Those BLM Rangers will tell the responsible "wheels" down at Palm Springs that the personnel that utilize Steel Peak don't give a good rat's a___ and we will lose a great site for all of us. 2nd Thing....why would anyone want to take glass bottles and shoot and leave the broken glass? With those "ruts" getting deeper going "up the hill"...we notice that alot of guys aren't going up and over the hill and that's getting to be the worst area and the first area the BLM Rangers and others from the road see. I would bet the farm that the members next door at Maywood Gun Club wouldn't feel bad about this site getting closed down with the debris blowing on their property when the Santa Ana's kick up/in. I told Dylan down at Bullseye Gun Shop after he mentioned that he and his buddies were going out and I told him "Dylan, make sure that you guys clean up" and he appears to be a responsible young man and I'm sure that Bullseye tells other{s} about the Steel Peak to shoot after they purchase their firearms from that store. I would do the same...we just need to make sure that our friends and/neighbors that utilize this BLM site that its not the CITY DUMP and want to keep it open for all of us...how hard is it to take a frickin' rake, trash bag/33 gallon trash can and pick up your "empties"? The grandson is 14 now and he will ask me "Grandpa, why do you always insist on us cleaning up for others" and I remind him "remember when we were members across the road at the Rockpile and how it got closed down for Code Violations". It won't be Code Violations...it will be the BLM Rangers who will report back to Palm Springs offices that they are tired of policing the area and yet it continued to be a eye sore and it will get CLOSED...I for one don't want to be driving out to the desert to shoot the clay pigeons. Hell! I don't even know another site to shoot"...

Livetoride33 02-16-2013 7:03 PM

Have returned all pm's. Will be at the base of the hill at 8ish in a grey f250. No idea where to start the cleanup, so open to suggestions. I know right off the road is the worst, but I wont shoot there. There were 7-10 groups this afternoon leaving one hell of a mess.

See you guys tomorrow.

Ranger was out today too.

Jeepway 02-16-2013 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holydude13 (Post 10554157)
@jeepaway, thanks for the onfo. Oh and sorry if I sound like an idiot but what did you mean by just throw so I don't rain down shot ? Did you mean only use the hand clay thrower ? Like I said I'm still new too this my bad

Just throw your clays with a clear backdrop (side of hill) so your shot isn't raining down on someone just over the next rise.

Livetoride.....great, it'll be closed tomorrow (that would suck). I should be there as my prospective M1 Carbine buyer hasn't called to meet Sunday.

TacoTodd 02-16-2013 7:31 PM

Ill see everyone tomorrow. I made a bright green sign that says "calguns range cleanup". You cant miss it. Not too sure how far up the road where we are going to clean yet but Livetoride and I will figure it out in the morning. I'll try to remember to post where we are at here when we finalize our location. If anyone has any questions just pm me. Don't forgot your sunscreen. :)

TacoTodd 02-17-2013 8:10 AM

We are about a mile deep down the dirt road look for four trucks and green calguns sign

TacoTodd 02-17-2013 3:34 PM

Great Job to all who showed up ane participated today:
Oldfartdiehard
Livetoride33
Cliffv (+1)
Jeepway
Superduper2013

here are just a few pics from today
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ps2b857051.jpg http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ps9fd286da.jpg http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...psc1b5d3f7.jpg

cliffv 02-17-2013 4:51 PM

Thanks everybody for putting this together, it alway feels good to leave a place cleaner than we found it!
Can't wait for the next one.

Cliff

Eat Dirt 02-17-2013 5:16 PM

EXCELLENT Job Guys !!!!!!!!

Well Done .............................

Jeepway 02-17-2013 6:02 PM

Nice to meet some of you guys today. Wish I could have got there sooner and stayed later. Hopefully I can bring my wife and the oldest next time. See you all at the next one.
I left with 2 24-bottle beer boxes of steel casings/SG hulls...1 full, one 3/4 full. More time, more junk next time.

G38xOC 02-17-2013 7:30 PM

good work !

jkgts1 02-19-2013 7:31 PM

Any chance someone can PM me this spot? I usually go to Bee Canyon, but want to shoot further. I'm always up to picking up trash, I do it at Bee and don't mind doing this at Steele peak. Thanks

Sargeant Satan 02-23-2013 2:04 PM

Great job everyone!!! Sorry I haven't been on here in a while, but kudos for all the great work. I will be heading out there one day this week for some shooting and filling up the bed of my truck with other peoples trash yet again.

bob7122 02-23-2013 2:30 PM

i hope it doesn't close. it is a great spot that isn't too far away.

SpectreZ91 02-24-2013 8:27 PM

Can someone pm me the spot? Since the Rockpile is closed I haven't found a good place to go. I have a F250 as well and have no issues joining in on a cleanup.

edwardfa 02-25-2013 8:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eat Dirt (Post 10397623)
Here's a link to the Cal-Gun Clean-Up thread ::

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=606961

We have had 2 Clean-Ups there with Great turn out
The BLM provided the dumpsters and the Cal-Gun members provided the work..........

But as of now they don't have the funds to set-up for another dumpster
So , Any members here doing clean-up on thier own is Great help

Hi all, you all should check out the tread / link by Eat Dirt above!!! :)

jumbopanda 02-25-2013 11:23 PM

If anyone's heading up there this weekend, mind if I tag along? It looks like a good place to shoot, but I don't think my vehicle would be ideal for the trip.

Lead_Rain 03-01-2013 7:26 PM

Steele Peak

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumbopanda (Post 10647775)
If anyone's heading up there this weekend, mind if I tag along? It looks like a good place to shoot, but I don't think my vehicle would be ideal for the trip.

Might go up for a couple of hours tomorrow if I can get my truck maintenance done early enough.

Where are you located?
Never mind Moreno Valley.

jumbopanda 03-03-2013 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lead_Rain (Post 10689126)
Might go up for a couple of hours tomorrow if I can get my truck maintenance done early enough.

Where are you located?
Never mind Moreno Valley.

Dang, missed your post. :sleeping:

sean714 03-05-2013 6:45 PM

If it dont rain on Thursday, ill be up there for a couple hours. Taking my wife with me for the first time, and its my birthday. I just hope it doesnt rain that day.

Finch 03-06-2013 9:36 PM

Sean, I'll pm you my contact info. If you don't mind I'd like to join you, and I have a friend who may come as well but he's kind of iffy. I'll bring my old gloves and some trash bags for police call. I'd appreciate being able to tag along as I have neither the exact coordinates, or a vehicle capable of traversing the trail from what I'm able to gather!

- V

Gemini Effect 03-07-2013 10:17 AM

Is there another clean-up happening soon? I am only available on weekends.

2ShotsNoDucks 03-07-2013 11:57 AM

Steele Peak

I'm a new member here and it seems as though it is good company.

I am glad to see shooters attempting to clean up shooting areas! They are far and few between. You all need to be commended!

With regard to Steele Peak, what is being done to encourage the rats to stop leaving their beer boxes, trash and target frames not to mention thousands of spent shells and cartridges? Cleaning up after the jackholes that don't care can't be the only answer.

Last season, we fought 3 brush fires in that exact area and I could not believe my eyes...what has happened to personal responsibility?

I will stay tuned to Calguns and will be happy to join you all in local cleanups.

-2ShotsNoDucks

Spaofjello 03-08-2013 10:46 PM

I have always been leery of shooting clays here due to the BLM Website stating:

"Always pick up and remove targets, empty shells, and any other debris after you have finished. You can be cited for littering if you leave any debris; for this reason, in the desert region, you are not allowed to use clay pigeons as targets. Even the so-called “biodegradable” clay targets remain indefinitely in the dry, fragile landscape of the desert." (http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/cdd/f...ons.print.html)

Has anyone had any issues with the rangers regarding this?

Thanks,
Spaofjello

2ShotsNoDucks 03-12-2013 8:10 PM

So far, it seems as though the BLM boys are tolerating the clays. But I went out on Friday morning around 9 and was disappointed to see that much of the effort the clean up team made has already been nixed. THOUSANDS of emptys and a truck load or two of shot up junk from 5 ga jugs to spongebob toys to beer bottles to cans and every other kind of trash you can imagine. I gathered a trashbag load and left somewhat disgusted. It is going to be up to shooters with some ethics to tell the jackholes to pick up their crap! If not, the anti's are going to run with it and another area we can shoot will be gone...speak your mind to the inconsiderate...even though they're armed...

Gemini Effect 03-13-2013 9:58 AM

You go talk to them. I'll stay behind and cover you. :)

nubrun 03-13-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ShotsNoDucks (Post 10741982)
With regard to Steele Peak, what is being done to encourage the rats to stop leaving their beer boxes, trash and target frames not to mention thousands of spent shells and cartridges? Cleaning up after the jackholes that don't care can't be the only answer.
-2ShotsNoDucks

There is a BLM sign at the entrance essentially warning people to pick-up after themselves or the site will be closed.