Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Concealed Carry Discussion (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   San Joaquin - 6 months +? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=876685)

pointerman 01-07-2014 2:15 PM

San Joaquin - 6 months +?

EDIT:
Editing my original post since it has become the default for San Joaquin app process. They have modified the application process to allow for "personal protection" as a good cause. The new application is ready and can be email to you by calling their office at 209-468-4342. You will speak to Melanie. Be kind to her since she is likely insanely busy with this change.

New EDIT:
APPLICATION IS NOW AVAILABLE ONLINE.

http://www.co.san-joaquin.ca.us/SHERIFF/ccw.htm

Original Post follows:

Seriously beginning to question if my Sheriff plans on not responding to any CCW apps until after the election. Applied in June and have still not heard back. Guess I need to put some time into the election of Pat Withrow. First course of action should be to give him feedback on how bad his commercial is that he is running in Manteca movie theaters.

oldwilly51 01-07-2014 2:42 PM

we have got to get Sheriff Moore out and pro 2A sheriff in!

Southpaw45 01-07-2014 10:41 PM

Agree! We got to support Withrow for Sheriff.... http://patwithrowforsheriff.blogspot...goes-here.html

ArcherDog 01-08-2014 8:50 PM

I was mocked for saying that applying will be a waste of time. Guess I was right.

Arkangel86 01-08-2014 9:03 PM

This may be a stupid question, but how exactly does the election work? Do we go somewhere to vote or what?

Paladin 01-09-2014 7:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkangel86 (Post 13163852)
This may be a stupid question, but how exactly does the election work? Do we go somewhere to vote or what?

It is part of the regular elections in, IIRC, early June. If there is no candidate who wins >50% of the vote, there's a runoff on the Nov ballot.

The vast majority of voters don't know squat about the sheriff or his/her performance, therefore they either do not mark the ballot for sheriff (skip that part of the ballot), or just figure "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" (if there isn't any bad news about the sheriff, just reelect the incumbent). That's why LEOs LOVE becoming sheriff: once they get in, the usually stay in as long as they want, sometimes ~30 years!

That's major BAD NEWS for us when they're antis -- once they're in, they feel, rightly, immune to the little political pressure pro-CCWer can apply.... :mad:

pointerman 01-10-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcherDog (Post 13163748)
I was mocked for saying that applying will be a waste of time. Guess I was right.

Not yet you're not. A slow process is not a guaranteed "no". I'm as squeaky clean as you can get. Haven't even had a traffic ticket in over 13 years. Never been arrested and have never taken any illegal substance. If they deny me they are definitely making a statement about what they feel about CCW.

Zartan 01-10-2014 12:07 PM

Her's a cool tidbit of Withrows stance on CCW from a MH community forum

MHvillages

ChuckDizzle 01-10-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pointerman (Post 13174618)
Not yet you're not. A slow process is not a guaranteed "no". I'm as squeaky clean as you can get. Haven't even had a traffic ticket in over 13 years. Never been arrested and have never taken any illegal substance. If they deny me they are definitely making a statement about what they feel about CCW.

It is more dependent on your good cause letter than how many traffic violations you have. SJ is a very tough county to get approved on right now. My mother is going through the process and I'm teaching her how to shoot while we wait. She will likely be approved because she is well off, white, a county employee who works in the worst part of Stockton and has a job which has led to actual personal threats against her safety.

If your good cause letter didn't hint at you being a well-to-do white person, and you didn't specify actual threats to your safety (beyond merely anticipated or perceived threats). You likely will be denied.

pointerman 01-10-2014 1:32 PM

Approved

Well, that was ironic. Just got a call from the Sheriff's office to come on down with my final permit payment. Approved.

ChuckDizzle 01-10-2014 3:53 PM

Hahaha, good news, maybe all those Withrow stickers in the shop windows has them feeling more generous.

Old_Bald_Guy 01-11-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle (Post 13174875)
...She will likely be approved because she is well off, white, a county employee who works in the worst part of Stockton and has a job which has led to actual personal threats against her safety.

If your good cause letter didn't hint at you being a well-to-do white person, and you didn't specify actual threats to your safety (beyond merely anticipated or perceived threats). You likely will be denied.

Isn't that special.

pointerman 01-13-2014 1:23 PM

Restrictions

Well, turns out they just issue with such ridiculous restrictions that I would almost never be able to carry. Only valid when going to and from a banking institution.

oldwilly51 01-13-2014 2:55 PM

Here is a quote right off of Pat Withrow's web page .

CONCEALED WEAPON

I wished we lived in a world where our citizens didn’t have to worry about protecting themselves or their neighbors, but we do. I pray no one will have to go through what my family and I have gone through. As a deputy, I have been required to use my weapon to protect the public. Unfortunately I’m sure some law-abiding citizens will likewise face situations where they will need to use a weapon to protect their family and neighbors. I’m certainly not going to keep one of our good citizens from having the ability to protect himself, his neighbors or our families in a time of crises and violence.

I, like you, have heard all the rhetoric on both sides of this debate. There are always extreme examples for why people shouldn’t carry guns and why people should be allowed to carry guns. The rhetoric doesn’t change the reality that, sadly, a lot of times bad guys have guns. Until the day comes where we don’t have to worry about bad guys having guns then good people are going to have to step up and help protect one another until we in law enforcement have a chance to get there and take over. I believe that if you have no mental health problems, no criminal background which precludes you from owning a gun, and you have the physical and mental ability to operate a firearm safely, than everyone should have equal access to obtain a Concealed Weapon Permit.

kjq 01-23-2014 9:30 AM

No More Moore

It is time for Steve Moore to go. He has been playing games with the community long enough. Friends and supporters get a CCW; the average law abiding citizen is denied. I was, only after he took my money.

kjq 01-23-2014 10:00 AM

Pat Withrow Yard Signs

If you really support a sheriff who supports law abiding gun owners, get a yard sign and let people know.

MiddleKingdom 01-24-2014 11:15 AM

Not sure if this is FUD, but a Stockton PD officer told me that Stockton PD issues. The Stockton PD website has all the requirements and there are quite a bit of hoops to jump through. I don't know if anyone has actually been issued a permit that went through the entire process. For all those who live in Stockton, it may be a way to circumvent Sheriff Moore.

kjq 01-27-2014 10:25 AM

City of Stockton Doesn't Issue

Stockton PD Chief is hired by the City Council and the City Manager. It's the council and manager that approves and allows good cause for CCW's. The chief's hands are tied. It's possible that would be relaxed if we replace Moore with Withrow.

09rubicon 02-18-2014 10:05 AM

Didnt want to start a new thread so placing this here.

Just got off the phone with Melanie at the Professional Standards Division in French Camp inquiring about CCW. They have pulled the applications pending change and will take your email and plan to send out the new applications shortly. As of right now San Jaoquin plans to go "Shall Issue" in compliance with Peruta. This is probably partially due to the 9th CA and Sheriff Moores upcoming re-election bid. Either way, now would be the time to apply for SJ County.

I have also inquired with Tracy PD and have not heard back yet. We will see if they follow suit.

oldwilly51 02-18-2014 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09rubicon (Post 13468001)

Just got off the phone with Melanie at the Professional Standards Division in French Camp inquiring about CCW. They have pulled the applications pending change and will take your email and plan to send out the new applications shortly. As of right now San Jaoquin plans to go "Shall Issue" in compliance with Peruta. This is probably partially due to the 9th CA and Sheriff Moores upcoming re-election bid. Either way, now would be the time to apply for SJ County.

I have also inquired with Tracy PD and have not heard back yet. We will see if they follow suit.

You beat me to this! I too got this great news from the Sheriff. Thank you 9th Circuit, NRA and everyone else involved in this decision!

bcortez 02-18-2014 4:48 PM

This is great news. I have been trying to contact Melanie for a few days. I will keep trying. It feels good to have hope again.

pointerman 02-19-2014 2:15 PM

I guess it was good that I got my unrestricted license about 3 days before the 9th Circuit ruling. I can't imagine how long the wait is going to be as they try to process the flood of applications.

DRAB_81 02-24-2014 4:13 PM

I got the email today with the "new" application, so I immediately called to make an appointment to turn it in. The earliest they had was 4/30, so I took it.

I wonder what's actually new about the application. It still has language for the "good cause" requirement.

mmayer707 02-24-2014 7:36 PM

The only difference is now they have to take self defense as a good cause. Or will have to when the case settles.

pointerman 02-25-2014 7:16 AM

A friend of mine got the new app as well. They now accept personal defense as a good cause. The app used to specifically state that was not a good cause. Big change.

Heatseeker 02-25-2014 8:38 AM

Just had Melanie email me an application. Also set my appointment for April 16th! Somebody must have cancelled.

I asked about the livescan fee, since I paid it when I applied in 12/2010. She says since it is over a year since my denial, I need to pay the fee again. I thought I read somewhere in the PC that no second fee was required if applying with the same agency a second time. Can anyone help with finding the PC, since I've been looking all morning and have not been able to find it!

INNOVATIVEWIRING 02-25-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09rubicon (Post 13468001)

I just spoke with Officer Gantt at Tracy PD and their status is you still have to have a good cause and personal protection is not good enough. He suggested applying with the sheriff

AirShark 02-25-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INNOVATIVEWIRING (Post 13522262)
I just spoke with Officer Gantt at Tracy PD and their status is you still have to have a good cause and personal protection is not good enough. He suggested applying with the sheriff

This is just my personal opinion, but if Tracy PD is an actual issuing agency, I would submit an app with them anyways using a "self defense" GC. There's only one way for them to learn the current law.

By the way, I fully expect this to be the response from my SO issuing agency in my county. I know that was their stance a month ago when I spoke to them last.

INNOVATIVEWIRING 02-26-2014 9:45 AM

Just got off the phone with Melanie and she said they are out of applications no eta when she will be sending more out.

Strutter 02-26-2014 10:26 AM

She emailed me an app and I printed it myself.

mmayer707 02-26-2014 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strutter (Post 13531461)
She emailed me an app and I printed it myself.

Think you can email the app? She is no longer emailing them out. I can PM you my email.

Strutter 02-26-2014 11:21 AM

Yep. PM me your email and I'll send you the PDF's.

mmayer707 02-26-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strutter (Post 13531923)
Yep. PM me your email and I'll send you the PDF's.

Sweet, thanks! PM on the way.

09rubicon 02-26-2014 11:35 AM

Got my app filled out, just waiting on an appointment date.

mmayer707 02-26-2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmayer707 (Post 13531984)
Sweet, thanks! PM on the way.

LOL, the sheriff's dept. emailed me right after this with the app. Looks like they are sending them out again.

pointerman 02-26-2014 1:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INNOVATIVEWIRING (Post 13531083)
Just got off the phone with Melanie and she said they are out of applications no eta when she will be sending more out.

How can you be out of PDF docs? That is just silly. :kest:

mmayer707 02-26-2014 2:07 PM

Somebody pinch me. I just got a call from Melanie and now another Lt. is doing applications and I am now going in this Friday. Good stuff. :cool2:

pilot1 02-26-2014 2:11 PM

mmayer707,
please let us know how it goes on Friday. I got the same call but I have prior obligations that day, so my original appointment still stands next month.

09rubicon 02-26-2014 2:17 PM

Guess we will see each other there, mine is 10 am this Friday!!!!!!!??

mmayer707 02-26-2014 3:34 PM

Yup, mine is at 11. I biffed it on my bike this last weekend. i will be the guy with the buffed up face. :) Should be interesting. I am healing nicely though so hopefully I will look a little better on Friday.