Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns LEOs (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Anyone else have DROS issues for off-roster purchase? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=887079)

CBR_rider 01-30-2014 4:37 PM

Anyone else have DROS issues for off-roster purchase?

I went into an unnamed gun shop in the LA area to purchase an off-roster handgun yesterday. Everything went fine (I didn't bother to get a letter to waive the 10 day wait) but as the dealer was attempting to register the handgun the DROS system would only allow him to register it as an off roster/peace officer purchase with a letter from my agency (and thus waiving the 10 day wait as well). Anyone else continuing to have this issue? I saw the thread on it earlier this month but I figured by now maybe it had been sorted out.

1911su16b870 01-30-2014 4:48 PM

Yes this little change in the CA DROS software kind of shut down off roster LE sales for a month, but AFAIK Riflegear and Proforce are not asking for letters to buy off roster guns for LE.

As an aside, it greatly disturbs me that DOJ BOF is pursuing the micro-stamping issue which in effect bans all new concealable handguns.

samsigsauer 01-30-2014 6:57 PM

I was able to purchase a Glock 42 two weeks ago without a letter just my ID...Apparently there is another panel/screen where they need to goto to allow to purchase without 10 day wait...that is what I have been told by two other dealers... I purchased the Glock 42 from a place that does only LE or GSSF sales....

yzErnie 01-30-2014 8:06 PM

Letterheads are only necessary for the waiver of the 10 days.

drewXD/G23 01-31-2014 6:49 AM

Go to a real LEO gun store!!

BONECUTTER 01-31-2014 11:18 AM

The Non Roster Peace Officer option automatically selected the 10 day wait (letter required) option. This is an error CADOJ know about.

They can just click exempt handgun and go from there.

RollingCode3 01-31-2014 11:46 AM

I was able to buy the glock 42 (off roster) from Rifle Gear with only my dept ID two days ago. It depends on where you go. Proforce required the dept letter the first week in january but they have removed it recently.

CBR_rider 01-31-2014 9:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewXD/G23 (Post 13330380)
Go to a real LEO gun store!!

LOL, I like this guy and he takes care of my friends/family who aren't LEO's!

As to my original situation, it appears that an update/re-install cleared up the issue. Ridiculous that it was overlooked (by Cal DOJ) in the first place.

samsigsauer 02-01-2014 8:57 PM

Picked up my Glock 42 today with no letter or issues!

drewXD/G23 02-02-2014 8:25 AM

10 day wait non letter hanguns are to be DROSED under exempt handgun purchase!! Not all FFL's understand this... Sad cause we shoul be aware and knowlagable of the DROS system if you sell firearms for a living.....

Just sayin.....

CBR_Rider..... Thanks for The kind words

yzErnie 02-02-2014 12:42 PM

As I'm sure you know, there is a LOT to have to keep up on with the hideousness (is that really a word??!!) of the State of California and their continuing rules changes as well as the lack of FFL support from the CaDoJ and the geeks that put the new DROS website together. I think every single one of us had some struggles with the new system after January 1 but have figured out how to get through it.

BONECUTTER 02-03-2014 7:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewXD/G23 (Post 13345394)
10 day wait non letter hanguns are to be DROSED under exempt handgun purchase!! Not all FFL's understand this... Sad cause we shoul be aware and knowlagable of the DROS system if you sell firearms for a living.....

Just sayin.....

You are blaming FFL for not just guessing this? The manual does not say any such thing. Non Roster peace officer seems like the obvious guess and the manual says:
Quote:

Peace Officer Non-Roster Handgun Sale
Select the Peace Officer Non-Roster Handgun Sale transaction type when the individual purchasing the handgun is a peace officer and has a letter from his/her law enforcement agency giving permission to purchase a non-roster handgun
This is wrong but its still printed in the manual so don't be surprised if dealers do not do it until its updated.

I called DOJ and they said this is one of many things to fix.

trendar5 02-15-2014 10:50 PM

They put this in the manual because they assumed that Gov. Brown would sign the law....but it just didn't work out.

cr250chevy 02-17-2014 1:22 PM

I have written the CADOJ on this matter with links to both the Penal Code and their own webpage that specifically states no letterhead is required for LEO's to buy off roaster.
As you all can imagine it has been over 2 months and I have not received a call or email response as requested... And the last time I checked they have not changed their manual on this matter.
But LEO's are "EXEMPT" from all guns laws you say? We have "regulations" applied against us despite the lack of any law backing such infringements.
LEO's are not the cause of the anti-gun laws/climate. The legislators are...

mirage2887 02-17-2014 7:46 PM

Hey can any of you guys pm me or let me know of some good LEO stores the Socal area? I recently just purchased a gun from ammo bros LEO store on an impulse buy ( I couldn't help myself). I usually do my research and price shop first but I couldnt resist it seemed like a good buy.