Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Concealed Carry Discussion (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Using a gun purchased through SSE as a CCW? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=685741)

shaff777 01-22-2013 7:43 PM

Using a gun purchased through SSE as a CCW?

I was just curious if anyone has any experience putting a weapon on their permit that was purchased via SSE? I don't know how I feel about it, looking for input from the community.

keenkeen 01-22-2013 7:53 PM

Yes...

Why would it matter? Lots of legally owned pistols in CA are not on the "Safe Handgun Roster".

jlbflyboy172 01-22-2013 10:43 PM

Not trying to be rude but, some of the questions that come up on this forum really make me wonder if the people posing them should be carrying weapons. Seriously!

ODub 01-22-2013 11:22 PM

Don't flame a member for double checking to make sure that they're on the safe side of the law. Yes OP, if it's legal to own, it's legal for CCW. Be safe out there.

desertexplore 01-22-2013 11:27 PM

I was at Wild Bills in Elk Grove today and the guy behind the counter spoke about is non roster pistol on his CCW and referenced the SSE process.

shaff777 01-22-2013 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlbflyboy172 (Post 10291045)
Not trying to be rude but, some of the questions that come up on this forum really make me wonder if the people posing them should be carrying weapons. Seriously!

Wow.....

nickel plate 01-23-2013 8:19 AM

I think there are way far more Calguns.net members that are unclear on the workings of a SSE than there are those that know all about it. I too am on the "unclear" side of the roster but I studied the process enough to basically understand it from the the buyer's perspective and went ahead and purchased my off roster Sig P238 and proudly added it to my CCW-no questions expected or asked by the sheriff's department.

JoeP 01-23-2013 1:07 PM

I have an LCP on my permit, no issues at all with my issuing agency.

goodKarma 01-23-2013 5:35 PM

Go for it, I have it on mine. :)

dobek 01-23-2013 7:53 PM

Colt combat elite - SSE sept 2011 - On my LTC in dec 2011

Steve

682beretta 01-23-2013 10:11 PM

SSE ?

shaff777 01-23-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 682beretta (Post 10301581)
SSE ?

Single shot exemption

Thank you all so much for your feedback, I'm feeling a lot more informed about the legality of doing this. It's good to hear others have done so much research and have no reservations about it! I love calguns :)

jlbflyboy172 01-24-2013 4:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODub (Post 10291240)
Don't flame a member for double checking to make sure that they're on the safe side of the law. Yes OP, if it's legal to own, it's legal for CCW. Be safe out there.

I admit that my comment was rude. It was late and I had consumed a couple of cocktails ... perhaps. My apologies to the OP and I retract my comment.

El Toro 05-03-2013 12:28 PM

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I just met a dealer in So. O.C. that told me I couldn't put an SSE gun on an Orange County permit. Of course his info was from a guy that had consigned an off-roster Glock to him because he was 'told' by O.C. Sheriff that once a gun was no longer on the roster it couldnt go on their permit. Since SSEs were 'off-roster' they werent allowed. He further went on to tell me FUD that an SSE converted back was illegal.

Anyhow, wondering if anyone with an O.C. permit can comment on whether they will allow an SSE'd gun on a permit. Some folks here have stated they know the O.C. Sheriff armorer (Duayne??) fairly well. Insights?

Jet Setter 05-03-2013 12:49 PM

Yes. As long as the handgun is legally purchased, it does not matter that it started out as a SSE.

Librarian 05-03-2013 12:51 PM

Some issuing agencies have the notion that guns listed on the license should be on the Roster.

There's no support for that notion in Penal Code. They get away with it because they can - so far.

jb7706 05-03-2013 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaff777 (Post 10289154)
I was just curious if anyone has any experience putting a weapon on their permit that was purchased via SSE? I don't know how I feel about it, looking for input from the community.

No different than if you bought it PPT. If it's legal to own it's legal to go on license. How you legally obtained it is irrelevant.

Teohenwhy 05-03-2013 6:01 PM

I have a buddy who was asking the same question. This helps because I guess I was wrong in my response to him.

woozyjon 05-06-2013 12:20 AM

Not SSE, but out of state family transfer of an off roster, now issues adding to my permit.

SilverTauron 05-06-2013 7:12 AM

Way I view it, there are three problems to consider.

The first dilemma is replacing the gun after a defensive incident. Given California's political climate, it is probable once the gun has been taken into custody by police for evidence, it will not be released to the owner again. Unless said owner spends more money then the gun is worth on lawyer fees to petition for a court order mandating release of the weapon-and even then, the gun grudgingly returned by the police won't be in the same condition it was surrendered in. That can pose a problem if acquiring the SSE was logistically difficult &/or expensive; should Sacramento outlaw SSE, replacing an off roster handgun legally will be nearly impossible in that event.

Problem #2 is civil court. There's little legal weight in trying to slander a defender in criminal court for using an off roster handgun, especially when LE does so quite frequently in California. The trouble is in the civil suit afterwards filed by the ventilated scumbag's family, where only a "preponderance of evidence" is needed for a finding of wrongful death. This is the biggest threat we face IMO as armed citizens: because it emotionally and financially blows to hand over all your worldly assets and livelihood to the family of the scumbag who tried to kill you. Any step we can take to avoid the horrifying prospect of paying a wrongful death judgement to the dead perp's baby momma should be considered.

Problem #3 is perception by the issuing authorities/police. Unfortunately government employees are not the sharpest tools in the shed when it comes to real-world firearm knowledge. Most people-including ones who work in CCW approval offices- think that if a gun isn't listed on a "Safe Handgun Roster", there's a good reason why that is. Since these bureaucrats are the ones determining if you can exercise a "state issued privilege" to keep and bear arms, it may be wiser to not rock the boat on the subject to ensure an already illegal and discriminatory CCW issuance process doesn't get any more antagonistic then it needs to be.

Shenaniguns 05-06-2013 11:11 AM

I have two on mine.

SARC_Mike 05-08-2013 12:58 PM

one of my daily carrys is a gun obtained by sse. Didnt matter a lick.

joefreas 05-08-2013 1:00 PM

I have one on mine.

JeepFreak 05-13-2013 5:43 PM

I have one too (my only).
Billy

shaff777 08-10-2013 9:22 PM

Thanks for the input everyone, this is great! I wonder if things will change if Ca is successful in outlawing the SSE process? Just a thought....

john67elco 08-10-2013 9:25 PM

I have one on mine

oops... 08-11-2013 10:35 AM

All three of mine are SSE's... Funny when the guy was asking about why I had three XDM's. I told him they are great guns and I own the 9, 40 and 45, so why not have them all on the CCW... He laughed!

Shenaniguns 08-11-2013 3:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaff777 (Post 12037497)
Thanks for the input everyone, this is great! I wonder if things will change if Ca is successful in outlawing the SSE process? Just a thought....

You are over thinking things, the guns are not being 'outlawed' but the process may be. The issuing agencies are busy trying to get licenses out, not check it for guns are on the roster.

tlor 09-27-2013 6:43 PM

I have 2 M&P Shield .40 and Glock 19 gen 4

adrenaline 09-27-2013 7:27 PM

I have an HK45c. Sac Sheriff never even batted a lash. I think a detective actually said....."nice!"

dls 09-27-2013 7:35 PM

No problem in Stanislaus Co.

JohnCCW 09-28-2013 2:17 PM

Funny that law enforcement, on & off duty, is exempt from requirement on purchasing only "Safe Roster" handguns.

12voltguy 09-28-2013 2:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeP (Post 10295858)
I have an LCP on my permit, no issues at all with my issuing agency.

I too have an LCP on my permit
& a 7.5" SunDevil ar15 in 9mm:D

kemasa 09-29-2013 7:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnCCW (Post 12421249)
Funny that law enforcement, on & off duty, is exempt from requirement on purchasing only "Safe Roster" handguns.

It is not about safety and if they did not exempt LEO, then the law might not have passed.

nickel plate 09-29-2013 8:58 AM

A fellow on another forum who lives in Inyo County wrote that their sheriff for at least the past three years does not allow off roster handguns on their CCW permits. Anyone here from Inyo County?