Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Rimfire Firearms (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   500 rounds of American Eagle .22LR $50+ (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=747471)

RickRyder 04-18-2013 12:47 PM

500 rounds of American Eagle .22LR $50+

Hey everyone in the Sac area. I just got a 500 round box of Federal AE .22LR at River City for I think it was $52.99? I bought a bunch of other stuff, but yea if anyone is looking to get a bunch of .22LR they have it. Yes, I know that's expensive for .22LR, but whatever, it's tax season! LOL

ParanoidCivilian 04-18-2013 12:54 PM

wow... I can't believe you bought it for that much! :confused:

Yoteman 04-18-2013 12:58 PM

:no::shock::eek:

RickRyder 04-18-2013 1:20 PM

Damn! You guys act like $50 is a ton of money or something? LOL Wow...

I spent $300 on ammo, $50 of it for 500 rounds of .22 ain't a big deal to me especially since most stores I have been to are all out or won't sell you more than 2 boxes...I'll prob blow thru all 500 rounds this weekend and do it all over again next week :punk:

pilote 04-18-2013 1:43 PM

$50 for a brick is ok because that how it's gonna be for a long while...wishing for $20-25 a brick means you ain't gonna be shooting...i don't like it either but it costs what it costs...

Gringo Bandito 04-18-2013 1:53 PM

You mean... I bought 400 rounds of American eagle for $50+ bucks. Did they at least give you a beer first?

gunnlover 04-18-2013 2:09 PM

Better than craigslist.

Virus55 04-18-2013 2:23 PM

i havent bought .22 in months. its hard to find any but its even harder to pay more than $20 for 550 rounds of the federal bulk i buy.

RickRyder 04-18-2013 2:47 PM

I know ammo prices are up and that sucks, but as far as I'm concerned if I want to go shooting, I'll buy whatever ammo is available...at the end of the day after I have been out all day shooting, I never regret it and I always have a hell of a good time! Plus, everything is relative...I'll spend $60 - $70 on 100 rounds of .223 so $50 for 500 rounds of .22lr doesn't make me flinch...

DCF 04-18-2013 4:06 PM

Wow. Now I am seriously thinking if I should sell some of my 22LR at a inflated price for profit. On the other hand I hate to take advantage of other shooters because I just contribute to the problem.

cmichini 04-18-2013 4:23 PM

This ammo pricing BS is doing wonders for my golf game.

ExtremeX 04-18-2013 4:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickRyder (Post 11125859)
Damn! You guys act like $50 is a ton of money or something? LOL Wow...

$50 isn’t a ton of money… but it adds up… If you have the buy in bulk mentality spending $1000+ for 20 boxes of .22LR is a hard hit when you are used to spending $280 for the same amount last year…

That said… it’s your money and you can do as you please. If I didn’t have any ammo I would probably be happy to spend the same if that was the difference between me looking at my rifle vs. actually shooting it.

pilote 04-19-2013 6:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCF (Post 11127309)
Wow. Now I am seriously thinking if I should sell some of my 22LR at a inflated price for profit. On the other hand I hate to take advantage of other shooters because I just contribute to the problem.

..."contributing to the problem" is BS; you would be selling "at market"; no one can control that...so sell if you want, make your money BUT...don't complain about how you wished you hadn't sold because now YOU have to buy $50-80 bulk packs like of the rest of us...

Annex138 04-19-2013 7:33 AM

The sooner people stop paying these high prices the sooner the prices will go back down.

Eljay 04-19-2013 8:42 AM

Um, guys? I've been selling extra .22 with brands I don't really shoot anymore on Gunbroker. It's been running more like $75/brick. He could probably flip it at a profit.

I think it's crazy, too, but I start 'em at a penny and the buyers set the prices.

Jester3 04-19-2013 8:54 AM

Exactly Eljay, the market dictates the price. Man I been wanting to sell some of my ammo and make a huge profit, but I like to shoot and cringe at the day I have to buy ammo at these prices. That day will come. Definetly been good for my accuracy, take my time shooting now.

downdiver2 04-19-2013 8:58 AM

Hope you got a reach around with that ammo for $50.

Yoteman 04-19-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmichini (Post 11127420)
This ammo pricing BS is doing wonders for my golf game.

EXACTLY!
Between the grabers and the gougers, golf and even ballroom dancing's lookin' good!

.22lr ammo: cents per round:

50 yrs ago = 1.58 per/ rd
25 yrs ago same = 1.70 per /rd
11 yrs ago (550 rounds/ $8.96)=1.79 per/ rd
8 yrs ago (550) rounds/ $19.95)= 3.62 per/rd:eek:
Today.....(500 rounds/$50.00) = 10 cents or what ever the traffic will bear!:eek::eek::eek:

gunnlover 04-19-2013 12:32 PM

Check your math. You divide the price paid by the number of rounds. 8yrs ago based on your figures is $.04/rnd. It was bound to inflate at some point.

Yoteman 04-19-2013 3:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunnlover (Post 11135500)
Check your math. You divide the price paid by the number of rounds. 8yrs ago based on your figures is $.04/rnd. It was bound to inflate at some point.

Thanks I did. Backattach! 3.62 cents X 550 rounds= $19.91 Read the post! It says cents at the top!
Sad truth is ammo WENT STRAIGHT UP IN 2002 and never came back. Tack on the panic of post Conn and it's basically unattainable for the "average shooter"
Some ammo like Dynapoints tripled in 2002! Most bulk doubled and CCI's well....

softreset 04-19-2013 5:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickRyder (Post 11125605)
Hey everyone in the Sac area. I just got a 500 round box of Federal AE .22LR at River City for I think it was $52.99? I bought a bunch of other stuff, but yea if anyone is looking to get a bunch of .22LR they have it. Yes, I know that's expensive for .22LR, but whatever, it's tax season! LOL

I buy 500 round bricks of ammo at $55-65 all the time. Mind you they're not Federal AE, I think the most I've spent on a brick for that ammo was $16-18 (certainly no more than $20).

That being said for decent target ammo you're easily looking at $5 to $7 box and for the nicer match ammo the cost per box can exceed $13. So that's pushing $150 for 500 once you factor in shipping something like Eley Tenex.

I personally (and this is pure speculation) don't think we'll see the $0.03 round price on a retail level at any point in 2013, given where we're at rounding into the last week of April. The good news, I suppose, is that for the most part the nicer target ammo has remained relatively available for those of us who shoot it regularly. The problem, of course, is that for 99.9% of people who shoot a .22 they'll never use or buy that able with regularity as the .22 has always been the "cheap, fun, budget" round. At $0.22+ a round it starts to leave that territory if you shoot any degree of volume.

desertexplore 04-19-2013 5:38 PM

Anything to support the good people at River City Guns.

emsalex 04-19-2013 5:40 PM

I got 500 for $35 this morning in my underwear. That's more baller than your money anit no thang.

russt 04-19-2013 5:43 PM

if you spent $50 on a brick and that let you shoot all day, then a day of entertainment cost $50. that isnt too expensive considering a movie ticket and popcorn costs $25

desertexplore 04-19-2013 5:45 PM

Anything to support the good people at River City Guns.

Yoteman 04-19-2013 6:16 PM

If we continue to pay it........... then it won't come down! Someone else said it here.... It's ECON 1A

Eljay 04-19-2013 7:31 PM

Well, that's true, but if the price goes down and we all pile on then it goes right back up. That's Econ 1A as well.

This whole thing's just going to have to play itself out.

Personally, I'm shooting a lot more black powder and I've started casting. I've always kept a ton of .22 around (I'll buy a case of any .22 if the price is right, which is why I had a lot of not-favorite .22 around) so I'll shoot some of that to warm up and then it's time to make smoke. The cost per round isn't any cheaper but it's hard to get too many rounds off in a range session...

majtom94 04-19-2013 8:24 PM

Was offered 525 Federal for $60 on 4/18 in south bay. I told them thanks but I had 2k of fed, I want something different. 2 or 3k of mini-mag would be nice.

Burly 04-19-2013 8:47 PM

Spent $24 for a 525 round box of remington 22 at basspro last week. Since Jan I've picked up a little over 3k round of 22 without a whole lot of effort. Just buying it when its there. Its out there for reasonable prices but you have to make a point of stopping into your ammo stops every chance you get.

Yoteman 04-19-2013 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eljay (Post 11139619)
Well, that's true, but if the price goes down and we all pile on then it goes right back up. That's Econ 1A as well.

This whole thing's just going to have to play itself out.

Personally, I'm shooting a lot more black powder and I've started casting. I've always kept a ton of .22 around (I'll buy a case of any .22 if the price is right, which is why I had a lot of not-favorite .22 around) so I'll shoot some of that to warm up and then it's time to make smoke. The cost per round isn't any cheaper but it's hard to get too many rounds off in a range session...

Econ 1A: If the demand goes down, the supply goes up, prices go down! Playing itself out means it stabilizes. The demand now is in hyper mode. The supply we hope is stable. If we quit validating the hyper mode by buying the stuff at outrageous prices it has no where to go but down.
If the ridiculous prices are validated by purchases then welcome to your new normal...unless and until there's a new entry into the market....which ain't hap'n!

pilote 04-20-2013 7:29 AM

we're in an asset bubble with regards to ammo, a bubble i don't see being burst for awhile...telling people to "stop buying" at the hi pricing is pointless; no one is going to stop their panic buying and hoarding till gun legislation is settled and people know what is what...only then will the bubble burst and prices normalize...to a "new normal"? maybe, we'll see...

Zedrek 04-20-2013 8:15 AM

So everyone wants to say how the OP overpaid for ammo and how stupid it is but I don't see any of you offering to sell your stash for a decent price. :confused:

Jack L 04-20-2013 8:41 AM

Hey, many people pay more than that each month at Starbucks and no one hassles them. This time of year the squirrels are out in numbers. I'd pay that too if I did not accidently buy 7K rounds before all this happened. I'm addicted to the .22.

RickRyder is out shooting now and others are not.

emsalex 04-20-2013 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedrek (Post 11142809)
So everyone wants to say how the OP overpaid for ammo and how stupid it is but I don't see any of you offering to sell your stash for a decent price. :confused:

That's why I call it MY stash. Not sure why you are confused. How could I offer ammo to someone I have never met and don't know they are looking for any.

That is not a really bad deal, I might pay 50 if it was the differance between shooting or staying home. I would rather just wait afew days and get more ammo for the same price.

softreset 04-20-2013 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedrek (Post 11142809)

Who's everyone? We certainly all didn't say anything. I'd happily sell Eley Match to people that needed it for $120/brick. But people think I'm crazy, until they realize that's a deal.

hikonhui 04-20-2013 7:11 PM

econ

ammo is a commodity that is consumed. Harder to replace depending on supply and demand. that is why ar lowers and ars' in general have been coming down in price. We don't need to buy lowers every other week but ammo is like cigaretts after you consume it you need more of it. its an addiction. I spend about 50 bucks worth of cigs every week so burning through 50 bucks of ammo every other week is not that bad. I believe shooting is healthier for my lungs.

RonnieP 04-20-2013 7:32 PM

I'm glad I jumped on those shopdunns deals of 10 bricks of federal for $170 shipped.

I got enough to last me for a few years. Hopefully, it'll be enough to ride out this mess.

Yoteman 04-20-2013 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hikonhui (Post 11147282)
ammo is a commodity that is consumed. Harder to replace depending on supply and demand. that is why ar lowers and ars' in general have been coming down in price. We don't need to buy lowers every other week but ammo is like cigaretts after you consume it you need more of it. its an addiction. I spend about 50 bucks worth of cigs every week so burning through 50 bucks of ammo every other week is not that bad. I believe shooting is healthier for my lungs.

:confused::facepalm:

Socalman 04-23-2013 7:43 AM

If some of the various laws that are proposed here in Calif. come to pass, it will be much more difficult to buy any ammo, including .22!

What if the tax per round passes? Consider having to get a permit to purchase ammo? That permit will cost you a yearly fee.

These things have been proposed and in the current political make up of Sacramento could become law. In that case $75 for a brick might seem like it was a bargain.

Contact your assembly member and state senator and let them know you are opposed to many of the proposed laws.

DPmax 04-23-2013 8:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester3 (Post 11133388)
Exactly Eljay, the market dictates the price. Man I been wanting to sell some of my ammo and make a huge profit, but I like to shoot and cringe at the day I have to buy ammo at these prices. That day will come. Definetly been good for my accuracy, take my time shooting now.

I underlined something in your post...
I keep reading posts like this were people buy ammo at inflated prices because "that is the going rate", almost like they do not have any control on the price.
The buyer absolutely does have a say in pricing and so many have completely forgotten that. The consumer is the final link in determining the price/value of any product or service, we set the balance between what the wholesale and retail price is. A retailer sets the "sale" price based on overhead and profit, if they raise the price to increase profit too high the consumer can stop buying and the price will need to be lowered to sell... that is the balance.
Right now supply is still behind demand, but it is catching up... if we do not start to use our part of the setting the market value we will end up with a permanently increased sell price.

Note, this is not a bash on any seller, they are doing what our free economy was designed to do, it's just that so many buyers have completely forgotten that they are also a participant in the same system.
I'm also not calling out the OP or Jester3