Calguns.net

Calguns.net (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Rimfire Firearms (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   22 LR Swing Targets Ban at Shooting Ranges? (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1381927)

WolfTrap 09-26-2017 7:32 AM

22 LR Swing Targets Ban at Shooting Ranges?

First, started Metallic Silhouettes back in the early 80's both big and small bore.
Now to my _itch.. Shooting Ranges here in the 3 Counties have banned small bore swingers and offering paper targets with holes to accept clay pigeons.
Now to my point. I've always been a promoter for "Young Starters" into a great sport, but now...the Kids I take to the range are bored sick having to shoot out the clay and wait until line break.
I've taken this issue to Range Masters with them saying it's LEO's telling them no metal swingers..in case of fire?
Lead bullets don't cause sparks is my reply..but what more can I tell them?
:facepalm:
Thank you for your time..my worries shooting sports will not be carried?

mrrabbit 09-26-2017 7:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfTrap (Post 20694736)
First, started Metallic Silhouettes back in the early 80's both big and small bore.
Now to my _itch.. Shooting Ranges here in the 3 Counties have banned small bore swingers and offering paper targets with holes to accept clay pigeons.
Now to my point. I've always been a promoter for "Young Starters" into a great sport, but now...the Kids I take to the range are bored sick having to shoot out the clay and wait until line break.
I've taken this issue to Range Masters with them saying it's LEO's telling them no metal swingers..in case of fire?
Lead bullets don't cause sparks is my reply..but what more can I tell them?
:facepalm:
Thank you for your time..my worries shooting sports will not be carried?

You didn't mention the distance.

=8-|

Paperchasin 09-26-2017 8:26 AM

It's true. Some ranges won't allow metal due to sparks and potential fires

beerman 09-26-2017 10:42 AM

Might have something too do with ricochets. Some years back I welded up a batch of steel swing targets to use with our SKSs. I used 5/8" thick discs since that was the minimum thickness required to stop a 7.62x39. Well on one outing we shot them with a 22 and found that if you hit them on just the right angle while swinging the bullet would come right back at you...Needless to say,we don't shoot them with 22s anymore

mshill 09-26-2017 11:10 AM

The Dillman Range in Lincoln lets you put out steel right in front of the berm. For pistols and .22 that is at 50 yds and for rifles 100 yds. They don't allow steel core or steel jacket ammo currently because of the fire danger. They also have steel hanging at 200 and 300 yds.

ShaneB 09-26-2017 11:32 AM

Oak tree gun club has a nice steel pistol range, they also have steel rifle out to 100 yards as well.

thrillhouse700 09-26-2017 7:22 PM

Lytle Creek allows them but they have to be 18" off the ground, and at the 50 yd line or further. I asked the range master and he said due to liability because people would complain about light ricochets.

Milsurp1 10-03-2017 7:53 PM

Oak Tree only allows pistols on the steel range, not even 22 rifles due to the ricochets they were noticing.

BigFatGuy 10-05-2017 11:13 AM

Burro Canyon, in the private bays, forbids any metal in the target or target stand. I've seen the RO remove a target stand because it was held together with a C-clamp, or because a wooden stand had a metal base 3" tall.

I always wonder how long it will be before they go after staples.

Don the savage 10-07-2017 9:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatGuy (Post 20735387)
Burro Canyon, in the private bays, forbids any metal in the target or target stand. I've seen the RO remove a target stand because it was held together with a C-clamp, or because a wooden stand had a metal base 3" tall.

Ome of the reasons i stopped going to burro.
That and the space shuttle door gunner rsos

23 Blast 10-09-2017 2:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don the savage (Post 20747138)
Ome of the reasons i stopped going to burro.
That and the space shuttle door gunner rsos

Hey, you know they're the elite of the elite, right?

Yeaj, I haven't been to Burro in about 5 years due to the ridiculous overcrowding. We had a 1 hour waiting list last time I was there, but the RSOs were not properly policing the "list" and I noticed some folks who had come later than us were up and shooting before we were assigned a table.

When I complained about it, they basically shrugged and said "Oh well, sucks to be you!"

No thanks. I'll take my business elsewhere.

Paperchasin 10-09-2017 2:33 PM

Burro is a joke. Cancelled my membership years ago and have never been back.

ar15robert 10-09-2017 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFatGuy (Post 20735387)

Thats why i dont bother going there went a few years ago with family and i basically was out of luck on targets couldnt even use some plywood i had to staple a target on it because the wood would splinter.

Bainter1212 10-09-2017 9:04 PM

Sac Valley has a dedicated .22lr range with tons of steel targets at 25 and 50 yards.
Wife and I have shot thousands of rounds there with nary a ricochet. It is great fun. If that range was eliminated, it would be a travesty.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

sovereign2b 10-10-2017 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerman (Post 20695592)
Might have something too do with ricochets. Some years back I welded up a batch of steel swing targets to use with our SKSs. I used 5/8" thick discs since that was the minimum thickness required to stop a 7.62x39. Well on one outing we shot them with a 22 and found that if you hit them on just the right angle while swinging the bullet would come right back at you...Needless to say,we don't shoot them with 22s anymore

Nice to know. Thanks for sharing! I'm looking at taking out 6 nieces and nephews to some BLM land to introduce them to shooting, and I don't need any of them getting hurt, or worse.

Jimi Jah 10-10-2017 9:13 AM

Use whatever on BLM land, if it's open. Pray for rain.