Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   California handguns (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Open Carry Jan. 1st (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=512919)

GL0Ck 12-19-2011 5:43 AM

Open Carry Jan. 1st

I will be carrying an empty holster in protest of the ban on unloaded open carry of handguns, come January 1st, and was just wondering... (forgive my ignorance of the law, but I know someone here will be able to advise me) What is the legality of placing other items in a holster? (Airsoft guns (loaded or unloaded), or ive heard of some people planning on putting bananas in holsters). Basically I want to protest and hopefully waste some tax dollars by taking up some of the PD's valuable time, without getting arrested. I know it seems childish and immature, but hey, im childish and immature... so there ya go.

Mossy Man 12-19-2011 5:55 AM

i fail to see how carrying a banana on your waist can get you into any sort of trouble at all

GL0Ck 12-19-2011 5:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mossy Man (Post 7693757)
i fail to see how carrying a banana on your waist can get you into any sort of trouble at all

nothing surprises me when it comes to gun laws, I see them defining the banana as 'an unidentifiable baby killer with high capacity potassium'... 25 to life.

Mossy Man 12-19-2011 6:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GL0Ck (Post 7693763)
nothing surprises me when it comes to gun laws, I see them defining the banana as 'an unidentifiable baby killer with high capacity potassium'... 25 to life.

but, due to tyrannical federal judges, you will be "realigned" to a county jail because you're a tri-non, where you will be court-ordered to be released due to overcrowding and only serve 1 year out of 25 and be on non-revocable parole.

XDRoX 12-19-2011 6:05 AM

Spend your energy where it counts, vote. And try to show the light to all the young liberals on the site voting our rights away.

Walking around with a banana in a holster won't do anything but get you laughed at. Spend the day with family and enjoy life.

Distro 12-19-2011 6:28 AM

If you're feeling froggy and want to jump, find a way to carry an AR pistol grip in/on the holster and let the day unfold.

If you do carry a banana make sure the peel is off, unlike some FUD from grocery stores that says it should be separate from the banana, it actually can be in the same container but not wrapped on the banana itself to be considered legal carry.

skyscraper 12-19-2011 6:34 AM

Just remember the kind of behavior that put OC on the map and led to its outlawing. Carrying an airsoft gun is a bad idea.

Outta Control 12-19-2011 6:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GL0Ck (Post 7693717)
...I know it seems childish and immature, but hey, im childish and immature... so there ya go.

Amen

zonzin 12-19-2011 6:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XDRoX (Post 7693790)
Spend your energy where it counts, vote. And try to show the light to all the young liberals on the site voting our rights away.

Walking around with a banana in a holster won't do anything but get you laughed at. Spend the day with family and enjoy life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyscraper (Post 7693859)
Just remember the kind of behavior that put OC on the map and led to its outlawing. Carrying an airsoft gun is a bad idea.

Could not have said it better. Lifes to short to be packing bannanas.

Dion 12-19-2011 6:50 AM

Quote:

I like it when people make sense. :)

Coyote Brown 12-19-2011 6:56 AM

Carry your long gun. Toy gun is a bad idea .

gun4fun 12-19-2011 7:36 AM

Sling shot :oji:

BRANDON7766 12-19-2011 7:58 AM

If I shot a cow in the head and let it bleed to death on the middle of main street (like they do in slaughter houses) do you think that would be smart?

Neither is open carry.

Just because a law allows you to openly carry a firearm doesn't mean you should parade around main street doing so, doing that will just put negative attention on gun owners, which we don't need.

If you want to keep your rights or get more of them, then volunteer to teach people to shoot, participate in the political process or even start your own. Pot is looked at as "cool" by much of society, we need to put that kind of spin/marketing on guns if we want to move ahead...not do the opposite.

Being immature about this will only hurt this process.

Bananas though, I'm not sure that ones such a bad idea....no gun around ( no gun pics on shirts etc). You could say when asked by a news crew that "an unloaded weapon is about as dangerous as this banana". And bring some comic relief to this...but bringing anything that resembles a gun would be counterproductive.

Mossy Man 12-19-2011 8:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRANDON7766 (Post 7694217)
If I shot a cow in the head and let it bleed to death on the middle of main street (like they do in slaughter houses) do you think that would be smart?

Neither is open carry.

Just because a law allows you to openly carry a firearm doesn't mean you should parade around main street doing so, doing that will just put negative attention on gun owners, which we don't need.

If you want to keep your rights or get more of them, then volunteer to teach people to shoot, participate in the political process or even start your own. Pot is looked at as "cool" by much of society, we need to put that kind of spin/marketing on guns if we want to move ahead...not do the opposite.

Being immature about this will only hurt this process.

Bananas though, I'm not sure that ones such a bad idea....no gun around ( no gun pics on shirts etc). You could say when asked by a news crew that "an unloaded weapon is about as dangerous as this banana". And bring some comic relief to this...but bringing anything that resembles a gun would be counterproductive.

i agree with this post.

most people who are afraid of guns don't understand them.

once you teach them about them, they typically either have fun shooting them, or at least respect them enough and understand them enough to know that they don't kill people on their own; people kill people.

Curley Red 12-19-2011 8:05 AM

Think of the kittens, I mean monkeys, think of the monkeys!!! Oh the humanity!

Mickey D 12-19-2011 8:07 AM

What are you going to prove?

The open carry movement did nothing but to pass a law making open carry unlawful.
Soon we won't be able to carry a banana. :facepalm:

yokstar 12-19-2011 8:07 AM

All joking aside, I say open carry a bushel of broccoli.

MossbergMan 12-19-2011 8:08 AM

"If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...." well when it comes to guns, the same is true. So expect to be treated accordingly by law enforcement. Don't be a dork and invite encounters you may regret.
I understand wanting to make a point or protesting unjust treatment or law, but come on man do somethng useful about the issue....vote. Carrying a banana openly (peeled or unpeeled) I'm sure is a violation of some obscure ag. law about bearing fruit without a FDA license...or some crud. And it WILL get you laughed at.
IMO,the OC movement has done a great service to the gun owning community, it got UOC out lawed. Now that arguement has been taken off the table when considering CCW reform. Now we can all rally behind getting the stupid "may issue" changed to shall issue.

GWbiker 12-19-2011 8:18 AM

Quote:

You can't be serious.

You're living in a state where weepy-eyed anti gun liberals believe trees, rocks, fish and little frogs have rights. But law abiding gun owners have no rights.

Mossy Man 12-19-2011 8:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWbiker (Post 7694286)
You can't be serious.

You're living in a state where weepy-eyed anti gun liberals believe trees, rocks, fish and little frogs have rights. But law abiding gun owners have no rights.

i sometimes forget.

then i watch this video and it all becomes clear

and then i do the following:

http://www.mmocrunch.com/wp-content/...card-sigh1.jpg

trob 12-19-2011 9:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GL0Ck (Post 7693717)
Basically I want to protest and hopefully waste some tax dollars by taking up some of the PD's valuable time, without getting arrested.

you should be banned just for saying that. Get a life.

Do you think it's possible that the police department might have more important things to do other than waste time on your ***? (busting drug dealers, stopping DUI's/speeders, burglaries, arson, etc.....to name a few).

If you want to waste tax dollars, take it to the higher ups and make them listen to what you have to say. Don't detract from public safety by being a pain in the *** to first responders.

Kanoodler 12-19-2011 9:30 AM

"You're not going to fall for a banana in the tail pipe?"
- Axel Foley, BHC 1984

"You go ahead.....take those bananas."
- Damon Wayans, BHC II 1987

weinerd 12-19-2011 9:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRANDON7766 (Post 7694217)

+1.

I remember seeing the newscast about the pro-UOC protest they had in the east bay about a month ago and all I could think was "why is it that all the pro-UOC protesters they show and interview on TV are whiney douches that make the rest of us gun owners look bad?"

joefreas 12-19-2011 9:48 AM

Quote:

Thanks XDRox for the new sigline-:43:

a1c 12-19-2011 9:51 AM

UOC existed mostly in this state because CCW is not equally available throughout the state.

You carrying an empty holster is both silly and uneffective. What are you protesting? Not being able to carry an unloaded gun? Or not being able to get a LTC?

If the former, you have your priorities wrong. If the latter, your empty holster makes even less sense.

Ranger20 12-19-2011 10:46 AM

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/a...esCAR2NBGX.jpg

Neither is a good Idea...

XDRoX 12-19-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joefreas (Post 7694773)
Thanks XDRox for the new sigline-:43:

Yes, I finally made it :D

Vampyredark 12-19-2011 10:51 AM

Man.... please dont do that. Take the right steps, join the NRA and vote. Write letters to officials. I hate politics, but I think this would only make things worse!

DONT carry a air soft gun, that is a bad idea - a Dumb IDEA.

PsychGuy274 12-19-2011 10:58 AM

I love all the Statists in this thread. It's pathetic.

gl0ck - Call me.

sendithit 12-19-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trob (Post 7694643)
you should be banned just for saying that. Get a life.

Do you think it's possible that the police department might have more important things to do other than waste time on your ***? (busting drug dealers, stopping DUI's/speeders, burglaries, arson, etc.....to name a few).

If you want to waste tax dollars, take it to the higher ups and make them listen to what you have to say. Don't detract from public safety by being a pain in the *** to first responders.

AMEN, Sir!!!:D

Ukiahgunnut 12-19-2011 11:07 AM

I can't beleive it has gone this far...

UGN

Mr310 12-19-2011 12:50 PM

Carrying an Airsoft gun to give the impression that it's a real one is about one of the dumbest things anyone can do. People have been shot doing that.

Outta Control 12-19-2011 1:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr310 (Post 7695814)
Carrying an Airsoft gun to give the impression that it's a real one is about one of the dumbest things anyone can do. People have been shot doing that.

Remember, "...im childish and immature... so there ya go..."

whipkiller 12-19-2011 1:19 PM

Quote:

I don't know about that - I've been carrying one just below my waist for years, and it's gotten me into all kinds of trouble!;)

FIREBALL_BRIAN 12-19-2011 5:45 PM

I suggest on the 1st you contribute to those who fight for us. Donate to NRA or CG

Mossy Man 12-19-2011 5:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr310 (Post 7695814)

+1 not smart

buggsb 12-19-2011 6:12 PM

Quote:

+1,000....I couldn't say it better...

Flying Bones 12-19-2011 6:22 PM

FWIW, I think "Take a Liberal Shooting" is a the best suggestion the OP has been given. MANY young Liberals LOVE guns, once they're introduced to them. It's not long after being introduced that they realize the freedom of exercising 2nd Ammendment rights it's much more empowering than exercising 1st Ammendment rights. A gun in a lib's hand is worth 1000 times a protesting fake UOC'er.

LovingTheYear1911 12-19-2011 8:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mossy Man (Post 7694313)
i sometimes forget.

then i watch this video and it all becomes clear

and then i do the following:

http://www.mmocrunch.com/wp-content/...card-sigh1.jpg

Wow, that video was some funny stuff. Those people need to kick rocks.

paratroop 12-19-2011 9:21 PM

holy moly this thread is full of siglines, but i dont remember how to do them. can someone please help me?

NEVERMIND. I FIGURED IT OUT.