Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   General gun discussions (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Cheaper Than Dirt- I'm boycotting them (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=708445)

Maddawg46 02-20-2013 5:33 PM

Cheaper Than Dirt- I'm boycotting them

Got an email add from CTD today. I replied and also sent a message to Customer Service. Told them since they gouged their customers on .223 ammo a couple of months ago ($1000 for 1000 rounds of Lake City) I could no longer do business with them. I just can't do it. My conscience won't allow it.

ImYourSalt 02-20-2013 5:34 PM

I think they are boycotting me :O

manuelcardenas77 02-20-2013 5:35 PM

So your against capitalism? Supply and demand....

mabilis_matulis 02-20-2013 5:39 PM

I stopped buying for the mean time but the addiction is hard to control..

Maddawg46 02-20-2013 5:43 PM

I just think that knowing people were panicking, they thought we can make a killing. Yea that's my take on it. I feel they should have stuck together with all the gun owners. You want to support them, then that's your choice. I look at it different. My choice.

foxracer72 02-20-2013 5:44 PM

Yeah there on my **** list, it was when I was browsing there site and seen mags were $80. Even if they have something I need at a good price I'll wait and buy from someone else.

jtc736 02-20-2013 5:50 PM

I believe probably 95% of Calguns is boycotting them :P

fremont lapua 02-20-2013 7:06 PM

I have an email from them stating they would not see to law enforcement in states banning items for civilians, they sound like they are listening and starting to join our side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fremont lapua 02-20-2013 11:13 PM

I went to their website after reading this and they are basically out of ammo. Supply and demand, they have the right to set the price at whatever they feel like. I have the right to shop around but people can complain all they want about how high the price is, they are still selling out.

stix213 02-20-2013 11:35 PM

Start selling AR accessories to CA civilians and I'll put them back on the list of sites I check. The price raising doesn't bother me much, since I just don't hit the buy button.

TheDeej 02-21-2013 7:45 AM

many here have been boycotting them for years because even prior to this panic they refused to sell Californians things that are perfectly legal for us to own. When you have places like Exile, who have taken an active interest in our community and our plight despite being in a free state it makes it very hard to justify the kind of ignorance seen from CTD. They want to act like they are with the trampled-upon citizens, but where were they prior to 2013? Oh yeah, not selling AR parts to CA residents.

legalbroker 02-21-2013 8:09 AM

I use them for stuff i need if it is priced fairly....when they price on the high side I look else where..a lot better than going to buy ammo at local Walmart for ammo....

lolkopter 02-21-2013 8:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtc736 (Post 10595408)
I believe probably 95% of Calguns is boycotting them :P

+1 to this :D

danweasel 02-21-2013 8:19 AM

Make that 95.02%.

-Dan

Helixfury 02-21-2013 8:19 AM

95%? ummm...how about 100%. Price gougers to the max!

elsolo 02-21-2013 8:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fremont lapua (Post 10596328)
I have an email from them stating they would not see to law enforcement in states banning items for civilians, they sound like they are listening and starting to join our side.

they are just playing your emotions, pretending to be good guys after screwing over everybody

Their own history proves they are not interested in your rights

ElDub1950 02-21-2013 8:43 AM

Which gas stations are you boycotting? Gas has gone up every single day for the last 33 days. There's no supply & demand issues there, just gouging.

Local and online stores are all paying higher prices due to supply and demand. The cheapest 223 I can find is 92 cents a round. Hard to blame one store when every store is doing the same thing.

zuchaka 02-21-2013 8:44 AM

enjoy your boycott comrade

fuj357racing 02-21-2013 9:14 AM

i totally agree with calguns on this. all the a-holes attempting to make money off the "needy" is b.s. i thought that the gun community was tighter than that.

SGT Loco 02-21-2013 9:16 AM

I love closet communists ;)

TheExiled 02-21-2013 11:23 AM

Ill say it again.. banner on the front page about CTD.

leocrrnz 02-21-2013 2:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheExiled (Post 10601942)
Ill say it again.. banner on the front page about CTD.

I'll 2nd that

myk 02-21-2013 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElDub1950 (Post 10601206)
Which gas stations are you boycotting? Gas has gone up every single day for the last 33 days. There's no supply & demand issues there, just gouging.

Local and online stores are all paying higher prices due to supply and demand. The cheapest 223 I can find is 92 cents a round. Hard to blame one store when every store is doing the same thing.

Exactly. All of you who claim price-gouging, why aren't you boycotting gasoline? Food? THEY can set whatever prices they want on their bullets, gas and jugs of milk. If you can't stomach that well....

danweasel 02-21-2013 7:40 PM

That's a well thought out post up there, Hahahaha!

-Dan

Maddawg46 02-21-2013 8:06 PM

If they raise prices according to their cost, then that's acceptable. When they raised that .223 to $1000, it was early on during the scare. It's the way they did it. Over night higher than everyone else 5 fold. It's my personal opinion on how they did business.

scidx 02-21-2013 8:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuj357racing (Post 10601481)
all the a-holes attempting to make money off the "needy" is b.s.

Needy?

You have your priorities out of line. Life will go on even if you don't get your PMAG, or 1000 rounds of .223, right now. There are better websites to shop other than Cheaper Than Dirt; which, has never been more than a well stocked, trailer park yard sale.

dustoff31 02-21-2013 8:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDeej (Post 10600683)
many here have been boycotting them for years because even prior to this panic they refused to sell Californians things that are perfectly legal for us to own.

And CTD has yet to give a single damn.

L4D 02-21-2013 10:03 PM

I love cheaper than dirt! I got my 9mm CMMG bolt for $149 when it was in-stock.

Mickael81 02-21-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddawg46 (Post 10595202)
Got an email add from CTD today. I replied and also sent a message to Customer Service. Told them since they gouged their customers on .223 ammo a couple of months ago ($1000 for 1000 rounds of Lake City) I could no longer do business with them. I just can't do it. My conscience won't allow it.

Don't buy into the panic. Let it die down and buy your ammo at the end of the year.

Things might get ugly here in CA. but Texas and AZ is only a day away. Getting ammo is not an issue. We just have to wait it out.

myk 02-21-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maddawg46 (Post 10606425)
If they raise prices according to their cost, then that's acceptable. When they raised that .223 to $1000, it was early on during the scare. It's the way they did it. Over night higher than everyone else 5 fold. It's my personal opinion on how they did business.

So......businesses should conduct themselves based on someone's approval or opinion of their practices? Hmm..that don't sound very American to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scidx (Post 10606600)
Needy?

You have your priorities out of line. Life will go on even if you don't get your PMAG, or 1000 rounds of .223, right now. There are better websites to shop other than Cheaper Than Dirt; which, has never been more than a well stocked, trailer park yard sale.

Seriously. We're not talking about water or baby formula for chrissakes...

L4D 02-21-2013 11:28 PM

I heard that all CA ip addresses get different pricing.

Xombie 02-21-2013 11:39 PM

CTD sold 100,000 of .223 and then donated $100,000 to The Second Amendment Foundation. http://www.saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=422

firebert 02-21-2013 11:59 PM

In Yoda's voice: Living under a rock you've been?

madjack956 02-22-2013 12:30 AM

The price gouging isn't an issue with me as I have the choice to buy or not.

It's the practice of them not selling legal items to Cali that made me quit them for good.

Simply115 02-22-2013 1:51 AM

Friends don't let friends buy from Cheaper Than Diamonds.

myk 02-22-2013 2:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply115 (Post 10608686)
Friends don't let friends buy from Cheaper Than Diamonds.

Love your 'sig pic-that's one of the most memorable games I've ever played on the Neo Geo...

drkphibr 02-22-2013 9:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by California44 (Post 10596401)
Do you think their cost didn't go up? It's like yelling at the postman when he delivers your bills. Sure, they may be holding margin and making a bit more, but they too have to compete with other retailers. If they are all at that price, then its a market price. There inventory is what makes them money. If they can't acquire new inventory to make more money, they go out of business. If they sell higher, making more money, their cash flow is likely similar (i.e., higher per item, but lower volume overall (since when they are out of stock, they are selling zero but are still paying expenses)). I would give them a second chance. When I find a decent price, I buy bulk. Maybe you do to.

Makes me always think of how gas prices fluctuate.

Whenever there is price impacting news, the price at the pumps IMMEDIATELY rises, when in reality, the gas sitting in those tanks was purchased at a different (i.e., lower) price but the same argument/practice is NOT applied by the oil companies when the price of oil drops, the price at the pumps usually don't immediately drop but only seem to do so when the tanks are refilled with the lower priced gas significantly after the price of oil has dropped. Bottom line, pricing is ALWAYS in the favor of the oil companies. Capitalism is one thing, price manipulation is another (oil companies sued Safeway to force them to charge higher prices citing unfair business practices since their pricing model was below normal gas stations. I'm waiting for the Costco suit now...).

Don't you find it interesting that oil companies post RECORD revenue EVERY single quarter...hmmmmm.

tenpercentfirearms 02-22-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xombie (Post 10608210)
CTD sold 100,000 of .223 and then donated $100,000 to The Second Amendment Foundation. http://www.saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=422

Where in the hell did they get that $100,000? :sleeping:

What I don't understand is this whole desire to be a crusader for the working class. If you don't like the price, just don't buy it. Why take it personal? Most of us could care less what Cheaper than Dirt does because we don't buy things from them, so why should I suddenly start boycotting them when I already don't buy from them? Why do I care what their price is unless it is something I want and they have it for the best price?

I just sold 20 round boxes of PMC for $20 a box, the same rate as CTD. The little I had was gone in about 5 minutes. With demand like that CTD and ourselves would be fools not to get that money. Even though I do not respect CTD having stricter policies than the laws of the State of California, I do appreciate them putting their record profits into SAF. And we have to thank the people who bought from CTD that made that happen.

So lets way a few more days until the next crusader stands up to the exploiters. :rolleyes:

hellayella 02-22-2013 2:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms (Post 10611292)
Where in the hell did they get that $100,000? :sleeping:

What I don't understand is this whole desire to be a crusader for the working class. If you don't like the price, just don't buy it. Why take it personal? Most of us could care less what Cheaper than Dirt does because we don't buy things from them, so why should I suddenly start boycotting them when I already don't buy from them? Why do I care what their price is unless it is something I want and they have it for the best price?

I just sold 20 round boxes of PMC for $20 a box, the same rate as CTD. The little I had was gone in about 5 minutes. With demand like that CTD and ourselves would be fools not to get that money. Even though I do not respect CTD having stricter policies than the laws of the State of California, I do appreciate them putting their record profits into SAF. And we have to thank the people who bought from CTD that made that happen.

So lets way a few more days until the next crusader stands up to the exploiters. :rolleyes:

AGREED..if u don't like it then dont buy...

Flopps1 02-22-2013 2:45 PM

Making a profit is one thing but when you're raising prices that high it tells me that you have no principles and all you care about is the o' might dollar. If they are willing to charge those kinds of prices then who knows what they might do if you ever had an issue with them.

There's a bigger picture here that some of you guys FAIL to recognize. It's not just about a person deciding to buy or not or a dealer trying to run a business. It's also about principles and supporting those that support the 2nd Amendment. We're all in this fight together and if 2nd Amendment goes away than we all lose. We are all apart of the firearms community so we need to support each other rather than trying to screw the next guy.

Support those dealers with integrity, morals and display good business practices. Dealers that will support you, your rights and the 2A.