Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   O.C. Chapter (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=291)
-   -   Looking for a place in desert to shoot close to OC (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=869709)

Nickrp83 12-22-2013 6:57 PM

Looking for a place in desert to shoot close to OC

OK, so i live in OC and i am looking for a place to go shoot the day after xmas somewhere in the local deserts. The closer the better. I am thinking Apple Valley area or Riverside area???

Want to be able to shoot both shotguns and my 308. Anyone have any suggestions? Plan is to both throw some Skeet and shoot some longer range stuff (1-200 yards maybe?). Looking to have say 5-10 of us.

Any suggestions would be awesome!

Nickrp83 12-22-2013 6:59 PM

Obviously need it to be legal haha.

H2O KLAN 12-22-2013 7:11 PM

Lots of "secret" places that people go to but I doubt anyone will give you the location of their place. Sorry just the way it is. Don't mean to be a jerk but when you have a place that you can go to whenever you want, and not have to worry about others being there when you show up, you don't tell others.

Nickrp83 12-22-2013 7:36 PM

Got cha. well I am just looking for a general Area that i can go legally. But if people are pretty closed lip, I get that too. Just thought i would ask.

Rickrock1 12-22-2013 7:49 PM

You must have at least 100 posts to learn the top secret places and or donte to Calguns

NulodPBall 12-23-2013 1:43 AM

Do a search on shooting locations. Plenty of threads. Some of them have maps, but basically you need to either get a map and look for BLM land but read up on regs and clean up after yourself. Don't bring TVs and refrigerators and leave them. State land is a no-no pretty much. Watch out for offroaders and other land users. Other states have less restrictive laws.

BumBum 12-23-2013 7:47 AM

You need to do some research before heading out. Aside from concerns of people not wanting to share "secret spots" for fear of it being trashed, you need to be mindful of land ownership and county ordinances. There are some spots that I've seen people post about in Riverside County that are technically rifle-prohibited spots. Likewise, there are shooting spots in San Bernardino County that is technically private land.

That said, your best bet is in San Bernardino County for anything close to Orange County. And by close, I mean Barstow area. Get BLM maps of the area, and San Bernardino County has a shooting ordinance map that shows what is allowed where. Bass Pro Shops has the SB map for sale, but some Calguns members have an online link to it (which you can probably search for).

Lastly, you don't want to be shooting clays in the desert. BLM specifically prohibits this. Even though they are "biodegradable", the desert doesn't have enough rain to allow this to happen. Steel ammo is also prohibited in BLM land.

Nickrp83 12-23-2013 1:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BumBum (Post 13044961)
You need to do some research before heading out. Aside from concerns of people not wanting to share "secret spots" for fear of it being trashed, you need to be mindful of land ownership and county ordinances. There are some spots that I've seen people post about in Riverside County that are technically rifle-prohibited spots. Likewise, there are shooting spots in San Bernardino County that is technically private land.

That said, your best bet is in San Bernardino County for anything close to Orange County. And by close, I mean Barstow area. Get BLM maps of the area, and San Bernardino County has a shooting ordinance map that shows what is allowed where. Bass Pro Shops has the SB map for sale, but some Calguns members have an online link to it (which you can probably search for).

Lastly, you don't want to be shooting clays in the desert. BLM specifically prohibits this. Even though they are "biodegradable", the desert doesn't have enough rain to allow this to happen. Steel ammo is also prohibited in BLM land.

Shoot so no clays. OK Thanks, Ill go try to get a map.

SNCaliber 12-23-2013 1:46 PM

calico or barstow is closest

Winterftbl 12-23-2013 2:30 PM

shoot me a pm. I will give you a place. as long as you clean up after yourself theres no problems.

GMG 12-23-2013 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winterftbl (Post 13047415)
shoot me a pm. I will give you a place. as long as you clean up after yourself theres no problems.

Our hero!

johnniezombie 12-24-2013 2:08 PM

Some jack *** just posted the google map to the bee canyon spot. I wish someone would delete that.

RobGR 01-04-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnniezombie (Post 13054571)
Some jack *** just posted the google map to the bee canyon spot. I wish someone would delete that.

Seriously, it's one thing to PM someone and keep it on the DL, but these ding dongs who post publicly are inviting every knucklehead to go to their "local" spot. My spot is now pretty much ruined b/c of ignorant posters.... more so that the people who go don't clean up after themselves and act like imbeciles.

/rant

ocstag6h 01-05-2014 8:31 AM

If you are going to drive out to the desert might as well just drive over to Lytle Creek range, pay the $14 per person and shoot in the comfort and safety of a controlled range. Can't rapid fire or goof off there, but that's the trade off, safety first.

Other than Hodge Rd off 15 in Barstow (littered with trash and spent casing and occasional visit from CHF officer), there are other spots in SB national forest, some requiring Adventure Pass. Big Bear has a few spots, but in my opinion just not worth the stupid drive and the search. Good luck.

Socalman 01-05-2014 10:17 AM

Great advice Avalon42. Too often we see areas ruined by all the trash inconsiderate shooters leave behind.