Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Technology and Internet (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   windows xp pro- blue screen, no boot (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=868378)

heidad01 12-19-2013 4:25 PM

windows xp pro- blue screen, no boot

Help please.....
My laptop and only computer stopes booting and shows the blue screen. Great, just the right time before s-mass.
Says to run "chkdsk /f".
Since I can not get it started, I can not run anything. Asking around, someone said i needed a win xp system disk which I can not make and that is why I am typing on my phone. I'm in WLA and am willing to drive to pick it up if someone can make me one. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm also going to the Burbank shoot on 12/20 and can connect in case you are going there. Thanks.

spetsnaz 12-19-2013 4:31 PM

You might need to get some local help for that issue.
can you run chkdsk? also have you tried boot in safemode?
Anything else comes up or it just shows chkdsk screen?
chkdsk means the hard drive might have a problem so it wants to run a check to fix any issues.
you can live boot a xp system using a flash drive load cmd prompt and run chkdsk/f

njineermike 12-19-2013 4:33 PM

How did you get online? If you have access to another computer, I may still have the .iso files for XP pro and you can burn your own DVD.

spetsnaz 12-19-2013 4:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njineermike (Post 13021427)
How did you get online? If you have access to another computer, I may still have the .iso files for XP pro and you can burn your own DVD.

oooo. That would take hours to download...

njineermike 12-19-2013 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spetsnaz (Post 13021436)

The digital river links may still be around too

heidad01 12-19-2013 4:39 PM

Thanks for suggestions. My problem is that I do not have access to another computer. My phone is The only live link I have left. I need someone to make the win xp pro cd.

njineermike 12-19-2013 4:40 PM

question: was it 64 bit or 32 bit?

spetsnaz 12-19-2013 4:41 PM

probably need local help. you need to download proper iso file, and burn to cd would be easiest way. What phone are you using? wifi or data? you can download file on phone and find a computer to transfer too. if you can take some photos of what your pc is doing, would also help., how does the computer boot? restart it and press F8 numerous times and try to load boot menu...

Make sure you have correct version.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=25129

billofrights 12-19-2013 4:52 PM

What kind of computer is it? I have plenty of Dell OEM cd's for Win XP and am going to the Burbank shoot tomorrow. It'll work on any machine for a clean install, but if it's a Dell you don't need to put in the activation key to unlock it.

heidad01 12-19-2013 5:10 PM

The laptop is an IBM, THINKPAD z60. Win xp pro with service pak 3.

SoCal Gunner 12-19-2013 5:18 PM

If you hold down F8 at boot up, can you get into safe mode?

More than likely you are going to need a Win XP CD, so you'll want to start looking.

heidad01 12-19-2013 5:25 PM

I've tried the f8 while booting and it does not go anywhere. None of the options work.

heidad01 12-19-2013 6:32 PM

Njineermike, it is 32 bits. It is about 6 years old.

bg 12-19-2013 7:51 PM

I have a feeling someone has a bad drive..

If you can, write down the 0X codes at bsod.
List them if you can. That would be very helpful.

You didn't happen to go into BIOS and change anything
did you ? Also if running dual ram. pull one out and see
if it boots, if not then try the other stick and see what
happens.

heidad01 12-19-2013 8:38 PM

BG, I did not change bios. The oz error message is
0x0000007B...........
The dots are other char and numbers but don't stay on the screen long enough.
It does list a bunch of files from c:/windows/system32/drivers/... some that I could see were
Ntfs.sys
Ndis.sts

SoCal Gunner 12-19-2013 9:00 PM

That is a generic stop error saying your boot device (hard drive in this case) is inaccessible.

Try opening up the computer and checking the cables to the hard drive. If you see a secondary cable and or slot, switch to it. Chances are you may have a bad hard drive, but until we can disprove it or get another computer to prove it, we're just guessing.

stonith3901 12-19-2013 9:57 PM

windows xp pro- blue screen, no boot

Generally It is some type of faulty hardware that causes blue screens in my experience. Granted I have some windows experience but isnt the Operating System I run.

My word of advice is since its a laptop that has probably has no redundancy for data integrity, I highly recommend imaging the hard drive as soon as possible if you dont normally backup your data. Unless you really dont care about losing the data on the drive.

As for diagnosing hardware issues, it might be possible to obtain proprietary software (in this case ibm) to run and do a diagnostic on your laptop to find out where your fault resides. You might need to boot off something like a bootable usb stick and run the program. Repairing it in my opinion is not worth it.

I understand this is your only computer, but data integrity is probably the highest of priorities because I really hope it is not priceless data that you are willing to shell out some huge dough for data recovery services. Pull the hard drive and clone it to another drive. If you cant I'm sure there is a calgunner willing to help you out. I would but Im neck deep with work.

I just say get another laptop and backup your data before you cant. Good luck and double back and let us know your progress.

heidad01 12-20-2013 11:07 PM

Thanks to all for your help and providing valuable information. I am especially greatfull and indebted to "billofrights" for his time and efforts in fixing the problem, the hard disk was bad. He even loaned me a hard disk and installed it for me.
One of the best x-mas presents I ever received.
Happy holidays to all.

stilly 12-21-2013 9:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spetsnaz (Post 13021436)

Here is what I have learned. START THE DOWNLOAD...

LoL. Heh. Glad this got worked out...