Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Technology and Internet (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   How do you change WPA to WPA2 wireless encryption? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=692613)

xrMike 01-30-2013 7:13 PM

How do you change WPA to WPA2 wireless encryption?

I just checked all of the wireless networks that my laptop is picking up in the neighborhood, and all of them except mine say "WPA2" encryption. Mine is the only one that says "WPA".

We were one of the first ones to get ATT U-verse service around here, so I assume WPA2 is a newer and better type of encryption than WPA.

How do I switch our wireless network to WPA2?

Can I do that from the router admin page?

Also, I can't remember how to even GET to the admin page, although I've done it before. I remember you just enter a particular IP address into your browser address bar, but I forget the IP address... Anybody know what it is for ATT Uverse routers?

Do you just change a setting on the admin page or is it more involved than that?

Thanks for any tips/advice.

stilly 01-30-2013 8:31 PM

seriously?

Okay, look for your access point and login to it, it is USUALLY something like 10.0.0.1 or 10.0.0.2 OR in some cases 192.168.0.1 or close to it, then just change it over from wpa to wpa2- but as long as it is NOT WEP is should be okay for a while.

You can also get a program called "the Dude" that should scan your network and show you what the ip address is of your router. It is sometimes very close the your GATEWAY if not your gateway.

To find your gateway you can click START, then RUN, then type CMD (and hit enter/return)

you will get a black box and then you type: "ipconfig" you should see some numbers and you will see YOUR ip address (which should start as 192.168... or 10.0.0... and that will dictate which ip address your gateway will be around. Generally playing around with those numbers in your browser address bar will get you where you wanna go.

If your wireless is part of your router then it should be able to be changed through your admin page or setup page.

Personally though, I would leave it alone unless you REALLY had some issues.

BTW, I am no expert so please, if I am wrong someone step up and school me.

xrMike 01-30-2013 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stilly (Post 10376076)
seriously?

Um, yeah, why would I have posted the question otherwise?

I do appreciate the advice. None of your IP addresses worked, but the "ipconfig" command gives my "Default Gateway" IP address, which takes me to the ATT U-verse Admin page. There are multiple tabs within tabs there, so I'll have to explore and find the page with the encryption settings, if that's where they are.

Not experiencing any problems. Just want to change over to the most modern/secure method if I can. Thanks.

nothinghere2c 01-30-2013 9:20 PM

WPA2 is slightly more secure than WPA. Its usually just a quick option change in your router interface which should be your "default gateway" IP as you found.

if your router doesn't support it, or you cant figure it out, don't worry too much.

as long as you aren't using WEP ;)

ExtremeX 01-30-2013 9:28 PM

If you can’t use WPA2 when you can achieve better security from using custom SSID and strong encryption keys.

You will get a lot more mileage from that vs simply switching to WPA2 and using a password key such as “Internet” or something else easy to remember or brute force.

ocabj 01-30-2013 9:42 PM

WPA was broken in 2009 using a method of short packet spoofing. It targeted a weakness in TKIP which is the underlying algorithm for WPA.

This is why no one uses (or should be using) WPA.

hey8you 01-31-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrMike (Post 10375017)
I just checked all of the wireless networks that my laptop is picking up in the neighborhood, and all of them except mine say "WPA2" encryption. Mine is the only one that says "WPA".

We were one of the first ones to get ATT U-verse service around here, so I assume WPA2 is a newer and better type of encryption than WPA.

Also, I can't remember how to even GET to the admin page, although I've done it before. I remember you just enter a particular IP address into your browser address bar, but I forget the IP address... Anybody know what it is for ATT Uverse routers?

Do you just change a setting on the admin page or is it more involved than that?

My parents have Uverse. Try 192.168.1.254 to get on the router.

The wireless settings icon is right next to the Broadband icon or go to the bottom of the page where it says "Top Networking Features". Wi-Fi should be the first selection.

maurice05 02-03-2013 8:17 AM

192.168.1.254 its correct dvds your gonna need the admin password on the side of the Rg to make changes

Darryl Licht 02-11-2013 1:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrMike (Post 10375017)

Depending on how old your Uverse router is you may be limited to only WEP and WPA. If that is the case call AT&T and get a newer more up to date unit from them!

Did you ever gain entry to the admin page...

stilly 02-11-2013 2:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xrMike (Post 10376603)
Um, yeah, why would I have posted the question otherwise?

I do appreciate the advice. None of your IP addresses worked, but the "ipconfig" command gives my "Default Gateway" IP address, which takes me to the ATT U-verse Admin page. There are multiple tabs within tabs there, so I'll have to explore and find the page with the encryption settings, if that's where they are.

Not experiencing any problems. Just want to change over to the most modern/secure method if I can. Thanks.

It is like, if you made it to that point where you could assign wpa, then why not just one more click and wpa2?

I thought that WEP was busted. You mean that someone figured out wpa too? Sweet. I have the setup for wep but I neva thought wpa was taken down. LoL.

I have to agree with Merc too though in that no matter WHAT you choose, if you has a password named "password" or something simple no amount of encryption/security will prevent it from being compromised (to a POINT of course).

odysseus 02-11-2013 2:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ocabj (Post 10376898)
WPA was broken in 2009 using a method of short packet spoofing. It targeted a weakness in TKIP which is the underlying algorithm for WPA.

This is why no one uses (or should be using) WPA.

Yes, someone shrewd enough and wanting in sniffing WPA running TKIP has an entry point, which is why WPA2 was fast tracked in implementing CCMP-AES crypto.

Also for the OP along side a very hardened PSK (password) if you are presumably using this, if your device supports WPS PINs you need to disable that, even if the device is supporting WPA2.

JDay 02-11-2013 3:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by odysseus (Post 10500187)
if your device supports WPS PINs you need to disable that, even if the device is supporting WPA2.

On many APs/Routers disabling WPS does not secure you against the WPS pin attack. What you need to do is flash a 3rd party firmware such as dd-wrt that does not have WPS support built-in.

Darryl Licht 02-11-2013 7:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDay (Post 10500455)
On many APs/Routers disabling WPS does not secure you against the WPS pin attack. What you need to do is flash a 3rd party firmware such as dd-wrt that does not have WPS support built-in.

Unfortunately, an ISP supplied router such as in this case with AT&T Uverse CANNOT run ddwrt! Only certain makes and models of routers can run ddwrt, tomatoe, openwrt, etc.

Also, FYI --- average WEP can be hacked in about 5 minutes, average WPA takes about an hour, and WPA2 can be hacked but you need PLENTY of time, a fast PC, and determination! Most hackers will look for easier "prey".

Best protection is to use a long and complicated passkey (password) using a mix of upper and lower case letters, numerals, and special characters!

xrMike 02-11-2013 9:00 PM

Wow, haven't checked this thread in a week or so, thanks for the info guys, I don't understand ANY of the last several posts but...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Licht (Post 10499422)
Did you ever gain entry to the admin page...

Yes, it's 192.168.1.256, just like several of you said, thanks again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stilly (Post 10500096)
I have to agree with Merc too though in that no matter WHAT you choose, if you has a password named "password" or something simple no amount of encryption/security will prevent it from being compromised (to a POINT of course).

Currently it's a 10-digit random numeric. The same one the ATT guy gave us when he did the original installation.

So I just did some digging through the MANY admin pages and tabs within pages, and here's what the relevant tab looks like:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...ps4fb7110e.png

So all I have to do is select "WPA2-PSK (AES)" in the drop-down list and click the Save button?

Is that all I have to do to switch it over to WPA2?

There is a statement at the top of the page:

Warning Modifying the settings on this page can impact the ability of devices to access your wireless network.

My fear is clicking the Save button and losing all connectivity and then not being able to get back into the Admin page to fix or change it back...

I've got ~10 different devices configured to automatically connect to the router, and it will be a PIA to re-enter the password for all of them again. Will that be necessary?

Thanks.

ocabj 02-12-2013 6:47 AM

When you specify WPA2-PSK it's going to want another shared secret. If you want, just use the same one you had configured for your previous authentication type.

zio707 02-12-2013 3:08 PM

It depends on your devices (laptops, iPhones, notepads, etc.), some may support WPA2-PSK in which case you'll need to select the second choice from the bottom - both WPA-PSK (TKIP) & WPA2-PSK (AES). I would suggest your using this setting. If your device supports WPA2-PSK but is still connecting using WPA-PSK after you made the cnfg change, on your device you may need to remove and rediscover your network for it to work.

ATT u-Verse is real nice but their wireless routers don't have all the features available to the home administrator like other home network routers (Netgear, Linksys, etc.)

Keep if simple if you're not sure what your doing.

Change the default wireless password for your network to something more challenging. (example: f!ghTb@c7)

You may also want to change the admin password to your router as well!

WPS is disabled - good

You could change your SSID name if you like to make you wireless network name unique.

There are other simple settings you can tweak like changing the private network range which I always do.

There are advanced settings available like MAC filtering, etc. but I would avoid this unless you really know what your doing. Lot's of good suggestions on this thread, many advanced but again if your not sure, keep it simple.