Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   camping weekend (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=256910)

PatriotnMore 01-07-2010 10:12 AM

camping weekend

I am getting ready to get out camping for a long weekend (four days), maybe a week, sometime in the near future, before or around early spring time. I have a couple of very good sites to rough camp in the Mojave which are in semi box canyon setting. There is plenty of predator hunting to be done, and areas close by we can set up shooting range against the hills.

I thought I would see if there are any other campers/hunters/shooters that might want to enjoy a weekend also? I don't have a set date, I am just gauging interest. You will need to bring everything you need to camp, including a porta potty if we do the Mojave, however there is convenience items in town five or so miles away, where ice runs and such can be made.

Another option is, there is Applewhite camp ground near Lytle Crrek shooting area, which is more mountainous at 3345' elevation http://www.publiclands.org/explore/s...esults&id=6776 however, it is first come first serve, no camp fires allowed, and an adventure pass is required. Doing a group camp will be more difficult as you cannot make reservations, if it is full, you're SOL.

I kind of like rough camping, but I am open for either.

Anyone interested?

1911 crazed 01-07-2010 10:26 AM

I would be more the interested in a camping trip.

Kid and Dog friendly? OLL OK?

My trailer is not tall so are the roads rough? It can handle miles of dirt roads but large bumps and dips will break my pooper pipe!

When would you want to do this? I know early spring but any dates?

Also I would like to hang out once before to make sure we are both on the same page with gun safety and other actions that may not be good in front of the family.

Would be a blast, I am new to Ca. so to find a campsite and friends is always a plus.

I'm located in Newport/Costa Mesa.

PatriotnMore 01-07-2010 11:50 AM

Yes, Kid dog, and spouse friendly.
Definitely OLL friendly.
The roads to get to ll sites are all improved dirt, there is one small patch actually getting to one box canyon site that is somewhat narrow, how wide is your trailer? I am taking the pop up and it should be OK.

I don't have a date yet, but by the end of the month I'll come up with a few.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 crazed (Post 3603914)
I would be more the interested in a camping trip.

Kid and Dog friendly? OLL OK?

My trailer is not tall so are the roads rough? It can handle miles of dirt roads but large bumps and dips will break my pooper pipe!

When would you want to do this? I know early spring but any dates?

Also I would like to hang out once before to make sure we are both on the same page with gun safety and other actions that may not be good in front of the family.

Would be a blast, I am new to Ca. so to find a campsite and friends is always a plus.

I'm located in Newport/Costa Mesa.

1911 crazed 01-07-2010 12:22 PM

The trailer is 24' long and same width as a large SUV maybe a few inches wider. (Never thought of measuring it)

If an SUV or lets say a full size hummer can make it through then my trailer will fit.

I will keep my calender open near the end of the month.

Also just noticed you are from south OC too. Ever go to On Target?
Where do you shoot? I may go down to On Target this Sat. afternoon. Just to get some dust off the pistols.

Big Jake 01-07-2010 1:00 PM

I would definately be interested in a camping trip. I know a few good spots up Hwy. 395 that has good varmint hunting. I would be happy to know what dates you are thinking of. Send me a PM when you are ready!

PatriotnMore 01-07-2010 1:38 PM

Your trailer is good to go.
Yes, I have been to on target, but actually I am in N. OC and this place http://www.ocindoorrange.com/lessons.upfl is closer. Prado is also a nice plce, they have a trap/skeet range, and handgun range.

Big Jake, sounds good, roughly how many miles away? I am always looking for good camp/hunt spots, especially varmit. If your area is especially nice in terms of scenery, I would be willing to do that one, we could do my area another trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 crazed (Post 3604385)
The trailer is 24' long and same width as a large SUV maybe a few inches wider. (Never thought of measuring it)

If an SUV or lets say a full size hummer can make it through then my trailer will fit.

I will keep my calender open near the end of the month.

Also just noticed you are from south OC too. Ever go to On Target?
Where do you shoot? I may go down to On Target this Sat. afternoon. Just to get some dust off the pistols.

professionalcoyotehunter 01-07-2010 1:40 PM

Were you thinking near Jawbone canyon?

blackberg 01-07-2010 2:06 PM

we where actually talking about this with my dad last nite, need to get a trip or 2 planned.
-bb

Big Jake 01-07-2010 2:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by professionalcoyotehunter (Post 3604734)
Were you thinking near Jawbone canyon?

A bit further up from Jaw Bone as I know that is a state park and guns are a no.-no

professionalcoyotehunter 01-07-2010 2:22 PM

You can go to dove springs and camp and shoot in surrounding areas if you know where to go you jut have to watch for dirtbikers.

Eckolaker 01-07-2010 2:29 PM

I like camping out in the Mojave...There are some cool spots about 10 miles south of Baker...although that area is within the Preserve Boundries...so when I have the firearms out, I am always "hunting"

PatriotnMore 01-07-2010 3:41 PM

Actually my areas are around the Newberry Springs areas just up the road on the 40, past where the 15/40 intersect.

professionalcoyotehunter 01-07-2010 3:52 PM

Near barstow?

PatriotnMore 01-07-2010 4:07 PM

yes, somewhat close, why? Barstow is in between Soda Mountains and Newberry Springs

professionalcoyotehunter 01-07-2010 4:08 PM

I go hunting out that way! There is some great desert out there. I might have to talk to the wife and head out with everyone.

PatriotnMore 01-07-2010 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by professionalcoyotehunter (Post 3605458)
I go hunting out that way! There is some great desert out there. I might have to talk to the wife and head out with everyone.

Correct. You may be very familiar with the areas I am speaking of. There is excellent bird hunting, and yotes for the taking. In addition, on the way in, I know of a small place that has been set up as a range that can be used for those who do not hunt.

professionalcoyotehunter 01-07-2010 4:17 PM

Sounds cool. I probably know close to where you are talking about. Let me know when you want to roll. I can bring the tent trailer or just tent depending on the space.

crud 01-07-2010 4:27 PM

I'M IN!! I just do the tent thing (no trailer), but this sounds like a great idea. My 10 year old son would like to go also if other kids were going.

PatriotnMore 01-07-2010 4:44 PM

Kids are welcome, I only ask that the very young be well watched, this is the desert and since their will be weapons safety is first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crud (Post 3605562)
I'M IN!! I just do the tent thing (no trailer), but this sounds like a great idea. My 10 year old son would like to go also if other kids were going.

eviioiive 01-07-2010 5:27 PM

rough camping does not include trailers.. last year we did sequoia with a standard tent in 3 feet of snow...

caduckgunner 01-07-2010 5:29 PM

I'd be interested.

blackberg 01-07-2010 6:32 PM

Keep me up to date,
-bb

Kali-Jax 01-07-2010 10:18 PM

I would be interested as well.

I love Mojave camping!

Big Jake 01-08-2010 8:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatriotnMore (Post 3604730)
Your trailer is good to go.
Yes, I have been to on target, but actually I am in N. OC and this place http://www.ocindoorrange.com/lessons.upfl is closer. Prado is also a nice plce, they have a trap/skeet range, and handgun range.

Big Jake, sounds good, roughly how many miles away? I am always looking for good camp/hunt spots, especially varmit. If your area is especially nice in terms of scenery, I would be willing to do that one, we could do my area another trip.

Approx. 50 miles North of Jaw Bone Canyon up 395! Very scenic as well!

PatriotnMore 01-08-2010 11:42 AM

Off the 178 into the Sequoia NF?
Near Pearson, Sykes?
That is not that much further than where I was planning, if the scenery is very nice, we may want to consider your area for the first trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Jake (Post 3608614)
Approx. 50 miles North of Jaw Bone Canyon up 395! Very scenic as well!

Big Jake 01-08-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatriotnMore (Post 3609391)
Off the 178 into the Sequoia NF?
Near Pearson, Sykes?
That is not that much further than where I was planning, if the scenery is very nice, we may want to consider your area for the first trip.

Let me know! Not off of 178. Off of 395 in "Them Thar Hills" LOL!

professionalcoyotehunter 01-08-2010 11:52 AM

Nice scenery in socal usually means no shooting.:D

PatriotnMore 01-08-2010 12:01 PM

He already uses the area, and says there is good varmint hunting. Usully where there is good varmit, there is good yote hunting as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by professionalcoyotehunter (Post 3609429)
Nice scenery in socal usually means no shooting.:D

PatriotnMore 01-08-2010 12:18 PM

Big Jake, if we can get scenery with some nice hunting area, I am all for that. In addition, it's not that much further than where I was going to suggest.

I'd like to go with your area first, we can do a second trip to my spot before the summer, and do both.

I've did some looking on the calendar, February would still be a bit on the cold side for camping. Daylight savings starts Sunday March 14th, and the first day of spring starts Saturday March 20th.

The weekend of the 21st looks good, or the following weekend of the 28th. Monday the 29th is a full moon.

I may stay for a four days to a week, and others may only be able to do a couple of days, which is fine, we take them when we can get them.

How do those dates sound?

Big Jake 01-08-2010 12:22 PM

Fine with me. The area I know of is all BLM land so it is all good. Several good spots in the area and I have taken a few yotes there as well. Lot's of rabbits too!

professionalcoyotehunter 01-08-2010 12:23 PM

if there are any left I will find them! So when are we going?

Big Jake 01-08-2010 12:26 PM

Is this going to be a family oriented trip or a giant sausage fest? I ask because I will either take my two boys if it is the family thing or go with you guys if it is just a sausage fest!

professionalcoyotehunter 01-08-2010 12:27 PM

My wife will go!

Big Jake 01-08-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by professionalcoyotehunter (Post 3609576)
My wife will go!

Either way is good by me!:p

Big Jake 01-08-2010 12:31 PM

I am reminded of the scene in the movie Blazing Saddles when the cowboys are sitting around the campfire eating beans and farting! I am sure having a few ladies in the group will soften the manners of the males in the group. LOL! :rofl2:

professionalcoyotehunter 01-08-2010 12:34 PM

You ever smell a coyote jerky fart? OMG they are horrible. iI save those for the dutch oven wife my wife.

Big Jake 01-08-2010 12:37 PM

PCH if we get any yotes you can clean them and we will throw them up on the barbeque. Yote burgers anyone? :eek:

professionalcoyotehunter 01-08-2010 12:40 PM

Let's do this. I will bring a meat grinder and some Lawry's.

Bigballaizm 01-08-2010 12:43 PM

I would be interested in Applewhite camp ground. I dont have all the necessary supplies for desert camping. Thanx

Big Jake 01-08-2010 12:43 PM

I will bring the Pepto Bismal and the antacids LOL! :willy_nilly: