Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Santa Margarita Gun Club (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   May XTC Match Cancellation (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=579238)

Kauf 06-01-2012 10:28 PM

May XTC Match Cancellation

Are the May matches that were cancelled because of the guys cutting the fire break getting rescheduled?

JHermsen 06-03-2012 5:14 PM

No, we are just going to proceed with the year's schedule as planned.

With the loss of our HP Director and lack of a volunteer/s to replace him, the schedule will suffer as there is no one to reschedule and submit paperwork to NRA, coordinate personnel, ect.

As a matter of fact, the apathetic response from the shooting community to the need for someone to step up and either form a team solution, or just plain take the reins, is crippling us.

Without a HP Director/s this year's schedule will be completed and next year's will consist of practices only and one day a Month; prices for the practices will go up as well.

Without a HP Director/s being found, you may very well see the demise of a fantastic shooting venue, the ONLY full size XTC Range available to shoot on in California, besides Coalinga or Ben Avery in AZ! That's a pretty rare bird you all are willing to let go!

That's how pathetic things are in California, we're down to the last two Ranges in this State where a person can fire a Match 200-600 yards! And this is the best facility in the State!

So, there's the answer to your question Kauf. Sorry for the long winded explanation, but that's the situation.

John Hermsen, President
SMGC

Kauf 06-04-2012 5:00 PM

Thanks John. If I wasn't in college I might have thought about taking that position, but school takes up too much time. I'll keep my eyes peeled for someone who may be interested though. Thanks again.

Bserebreni 06-14-2012 9:52 PM

What a sad note for SMGC. There has to be some one. I live in the San Fernando Valley and have 3 F class matches a month on my calender. There's dozens of us that NEED a range at Pendelton. Sorry posting for all of us, members or not. Be positive. It works!

dsantiago 06-21-2012 10:11 AM

Keep the faith!

John,

I have to tell you my friend that I'm not getting the lack of response to the needs of SMGC. We are having a surge in highpower competition interest in the Los Angeles area and both BRRC and Ojai are reporting good attendance at our matches. These are full-distance XC and MR venues albiet with far fewer firing points than Range 103 or 116.

What feeds this surge are the numerous matches firing NRA reduced courses, CMP Course A and B and Appleseed AQT's in the L.A. area all of which help build more and more interest in the sport. I have faith that these people will venture to the larger tournaments at Coalinga, Ben Avery, et al and yes even to Pendleton and Twentynine Palms if we hold our collective resolve.

But now to my constructive suggestion. SMGC sits in a perculiar geographic location sandwiched between southern Orange County and north San Diego County. Many of the ranges in these areas have long since been the victims of urban sprawl. I'm not familiar with the demand for highpower in these areas days but I expect it's at a low ebb. However, what I do know is that interest in shooting is also at an all time high in these areas with shotgun and IPSC/3-Gun gaining to the point that I hear complaints from those that live in the area about lengthening wait times for firing points at what ranges are available. When I describe highpower to these people their eyes light up with excitement at venturing into the aura of precision shooting only to be dimmed by the reveal that they must traverse the bitter gauntlet of LA County to reach BRRC and Ojai.

It's very clear to me that there's a need in your part of the world not just for the matches that satisfy those who possess the Expert, Master and High Master cards but also for matches that feed the hunger of the MU's, Marksmen and Sharpshooters. And that means NRA-Reduced and CMP Course "B" matches. I believe that healthy support for the full-distance venue in an area requires a 3-to-1 ratio of reduced matches also active in the area even if that means CMP Sporter .22LR indoor shooting. I submit that what SMGC needs is not just a highpower program but a highpower development program led by a director who sees SMGC as the nexus of -- but not the sole venue of -- all of this type of shooting in the south OC and north SD areas. What the club needs is a type of person who makes it their business to build the sport using the unique resources of SMGC as a fulcrum. Someone who will take enough time away from being a shooter to becoming a maker of shooters. It may take some time to find that person. But sooner or later they will manifest. Keep the faith my friend.

Dennis

Note: I've put up a new website for the 29Palms regional at www.29PalmsRegional.com. If you could spread the word to the faithful I'd appreciate it. It's time that match got bigger again.

dsantiago 06-21-2012 7:13 PM

And John if I wasn't already so deeply overcommitted up here at BRRC I'd be down there helping. Let me know the next time you do an RSO certification class. I can at least do that and be part of the standby cadre. I have the course material sitting on one of my servers.

JHermsen 07-08-2012 10:45 AM

Dennis,

Thank you for the kind words.

It is with great pleasure that I introduce to you all our new High Power Director, Harry Harrison MGySgt (Ret.).

Harry is a long time competitive shooter that practices many disciplines within the sport. He is extremely knowledgeable, talented and motivated besides being a great Coach and Trainer. Those of you that attended the last Clinic will recognize him as he was our lead instructor.

I can tell you that Harry has big plans for SMGC's HP Program and we can all look forward to a new and energetic schedule with him at the helm.

Good luck Harry! We all look forward to shooting with you and participating in your program,

John Hermsen, President
SMGC