Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns LEOs (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Are peace officers exempt from SB 53? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=781318)

Like gandhi but better 06-20-2013 6:27 AM

Are peace officers exempt from SB 53?

if passed, will we be able to purchase ammo without paying the $50 fee
and going thru a background check?

will placed like walmart still sell ammo?

SDGUNS 06-20-2013 8:53 AM

I don't know. But what I found quite interesting when reading the bill was in bold print stating (THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS) I don't remember being asked or the option to vote on this matter. From reading this it makes it look like everybody in California agrees with it. But in reality the( people )means just the legislators.

Like gandhi but better 06-20-2013 9:30 AM

considering i work with an assault rifle with 30 rounds everyday, it would be silly to make me do a background check for ammo. then again i do have to pay for a background check to purchase firearms

Hdawg 06-20-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard-Long (Post 11629081)
if passed, will we be able to purchase ammo without paying the $50 fee
and going thru a background check?

I sure hope not.

Librarian 06-20-2013 10:45 AM

No exemption from getting the 'authorization' for LEO. Does appear that LEO is exempt from the proposed 30312(a) 'face to face' requirement, at 30312 (b)(2).

Like gandhi but better 06-20-2013 11:17 AM

thats how i read it. just hope online vendors wont be scared to sell to california peace officers

Like gandhi but better 06-20-2013 11:55 AM

i agree. im not special. the existing laws are unconstitutional. just curious how the cards are gonna fall

IlDuche 06-20-2013 1:54 PM

I've had to find specific vendors to purchase real (so called high cap) magazines. Assuming it'll be like that with ammo. Some places will sell to us, some won't. That's assuming these laws actually pass. I'm planning for the worst.

The ammo background is stupid. I've already been through a more thorough background than any freakin DOJ gun check.

SDGUNS 06-20-2013 3:42 PM

The difference as far as being special compared to a regular citizen, is the citizen is not required to take a polygraph nor a psychiatric exam. LEO's are. Therefore they can't tell if your mentally unbalanced.

Like gandhi but better 06-20-2013 3:57 PM

im a peace officer and i didnt have to take a polygraph. and you only have to take a psych eval once. if it was up to me, there wouldnt be background checks or waiting periods for anything.
we've been under a tyrannical govt for a while now.

boiling frog situation. imagine 20 years from now.

if we cant trust you with a gun, why are you in society?

E.T. 06-20-2013 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDGUNS (Post 11632909)
...the citizen is not required to take a polygraph nor a psychiatric exam...

Shush. Don't give the legislature ideas.

74c5 06-20-2013 5:08 PM

5 hour test to buy 50 rounds of .40. Now that's the California I know.....now.

softscrubb 06-20-2013 6:01 PM

Considering police officers can get ammo given to them from their agencies it won't be as much of an issue.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Like gandhi but better 06-20-2013 6:20 PM

i dont know about that. im a prison guard. and thats definitely not happening for me

Che762x39 06-21-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by softscrubb (Post 11633929)
Considering police officers can get ammo given to them from their agencies it won't be as much of an issue.

Maybe in Mayberry or Petticoat Junction but it is not happening in CA in 2013. If you quit my department and you were issued a Beretta 92FS, three magazines and 46 rounds. When you are signing out the range staff needs to sign off for a Beretta 92FS, three magazines and 46 rounds. Savvy?

Civilians watch to much tv and Lethal Weapon movies :facepalm:

oddjob 06-21-2013 3:27 PM

"Considering police officers can get ammo given to them from their agencies it won't be as much of an issue."

Not always true.......smaller agencies may not issue ammo, but simply guidelines on what is acceptable for duty use.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano (Post 11637467)
I am definitely special.

Don't mean to derail this thread, but when i retired I was having lunch with some non-sworn friends. One them made a smart *** comment about me not being able to buy non-roster guns. I just mentioned that I wasn't anyone special now......I'm a "nobody".....just like you guys!!!

warthog1984 06-21-2013 3:39 PM

Quote:

The difference as far as being special compared to a regular citizen, is the citizen is not required to take a polygraph nor a psychiatric exam. LEO's are. Therefore they can't tell if your mentally unbalanced.

Oh, the Gov knows *all* about me. I swear sometimes I only know it must be Tuesday because I have yet another BG check to go through.

yzErnie 06-21-2013 8:44 PM

Quote:

A grossly inaccurate comment because budgets have substantially changed. Heck, my agency now counts the ammo out to you for qualifications. They used to provide ammo for the retirees to qualify but it is so bad now you have to bring your own.

H2O KLAN 06-25-2013 1:25 AM

Quote:

I'd like to know where this is because my department sure as hell isn't handing it out to us. Each round is counted out for qualification. If I want to shoot more than just our regular qualification, I have to purchase it myself.

2002zo6 06-28-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

I think his point is that as LEO's we carry loaded weapons with us while on and sometimes off duty, so it is kind of pointless to do a check on us to buy it from a store. It kind of defeats the purpose for the check.

Dr.Lou 07-03-2013 8:44 AM

Quote:

Mentally unbalanced? Yeah, the psych and poly make a difference. :rolleyes: Chris Dornan comes to mind along with many other cops that successfully passed full background, pysch and poly and still went on to abuse their authority, nutted up, etc. I base this on 30 years LE, half of which I was the hiring authority. The process does help to screen out most of the whackos, but if you're an LEO you know that many still sneak through.

SDGUNS 07-04-2013 10:05 AM

SB53

Unfortunately in every job regardless LEO, Military, or even a Doctor. Some do slip thru the cracks. And some blame others for their problems and don't handle things rationally. (LAPD Doner). There are other ways of solving problems then going crazy. But that's life, everyone made a little differently. I'm not a mind reader, we have just to deal with it the best we can.