Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   Jailed a new rifle... Now I need a scope... (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=825555)

kenjimatic 09-18-2013 11:49 PM

Jailed a new rifle... Now I need a scope...

Well, I jailed my very first bolt action rifle, a couple days ago, and I need a recommendation on an optic setup. I did a little research and came up with this setup.

Rifle: Tikka T3 Lite 7mm-08- Jailed
Optic: Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44(VHS4305)
Base: EGW rail scope mount 0MOA
Rings: Warne Maxima 30mm low matte black

My budget is $600 for the optic setup and this seems to fit the bill. I plan on using this rifle for hunting in Zones A(north), B3, and D3-5. Pretty much my range is anywhere from 50-300 yards. Only optics I have experience with is Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44, Leupold VXR Patrol 1.25-4x20, Aim Point PRO and Trijicon RMR. I appreciate any input. Thanks.

brando 09-19-2013 2:48 PM

Viper HS 4-16x44mm is pretty much a hunting scope, so if that's your intended use for it then you're golden.

kenjimatic 09-19-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brando (Post 12354923)
Viper HS 4-16x44mm is pretty much a hunting scope, so if that's your intended use for it then you're golden.

Cool! I'm not trying to 1/4" shots at 300 yards(though, it'll be nice if I can) but would like to shoot MOA at the least. I've researched about other scopes also but the warranty seemed to have gotten to me on the Vortex and I didn't want to spend more than $600 on an optic setup for hunting. I'm planning on building a bolt bench rifle later so for the optic I'll be planning on spending $1500+. That'll be later down the line. Might go buy a R700 youth before the sale ends at Sportsman's Warehouse(just for the action). They have the ADL youth short action for $399+tax and fees.

kenjimatic 09-20-2013 12:26 PM

Well, thanks to the "Deals, Sales and Coupons" I went ahead and purchased a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA for $855. Now it's time to find some projecties and brass to load. Thanks Calguns!

JagerDog 09-20-2013 2:07 PM

I thought your first choice was a better hunting scope. Sight it in for 200 yds and you're good from 0-300 at minute of deer. No need for mildot clutter and FFP. And the bottom of 6X can be a bit much for hunting.

lewdogg21 09-20-2013 2:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenjimatic (Post 12362000)
Well, thanks to the "Deals, Sales and Coupons" I went ahead and purchased a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA for $855. Now it's time to find some projecties and brass to load. Thanks Calguns!

Be forwarned that 6x is pretty high for the bottom end of hunting. If you jump anything inside of 80 yards it will be difficult to stay on it.

I would not recommend paring that light of a rifle with that beast of a scope. Any 3x9x40 or 4x12x40 would be more practical. If you were headed to the wide open rolling hills for antelope in Wyoming then that scope would be ok.

The proof that I'm not just an internet keyboard commando is my avatar photo but do what you want.

kenjimatic 09-22-2013 10:19 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. It was just a deal I couldn't resist. I guess you can say that I got this for future bench gun.

lewdogg21 09-23-2013 6:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenjimatic (Post 12379145)
Thanks for the advice guys. It was just a deal I couldn't resist. I guess you can say that I got this for future bench gun.

Great way to look at it. Like I said anything with a 4x or lower will work much better.

Just make sure you have some good binoculars since you will look through them countless times each day of hunting versus 1-2x a day with your scope.

NytWolf 09-23-2013 7:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenjimatic (Post 12350597)
Well, I jailed my very first bolt action rifle, a couple days ago, and I need a recommendation on an optic setup. I did a little research and came up with this setup.

My budget is $600 for the optic setup and this seems to fit the bill. I plan on using this rifle for hunting in Zones A(north), B3, and D3-5. Pretty much my range is anywhere from 50-300 yards. Only optics I have experience with is Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44, Leupold VXR Patrol 1.25-4x20, Aim Point PRO and Trijicon RMR. I appreciate any input. Thanks.

You're kidding me, right? :eek: Another 7-08 shooter to compete with me for the ammo. J/K. That's the same rifle and scope I have. Also, think of putting a Pachmayr recoil pad on it. That light rifle shooting the 7-08 beats the crap out of my shoulder, that is, until I put the Pachmayr on it.

That's a good choice of a scope although the glass on the Conquest will be slightly better. I used 30mm Talley mounts. Pricewise, it's probably the same as the mount+rings setup. I just don't remember which height though.

kenjimatic 09-23-2013 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdogg21 (Post 12380006)
Great way to look at it. Like I said anything with a 4x or lower will work much better.

Just make sure you have some good binoculars since youu will look through them countless times each day of hunting versus 1-2x a day with your scope.

I'm going to be getting a pair of binoculars also, a recommendation from my cousin who hunts B zone. I'm probably going to get it the same time I get the Viper HS 4-16x44 for my Tikka. Damn these sales... LOL...

Quote:

Originally Posted by NytWolf (Post 12380305)
You're kidding me, right? :eek: Another 7-08 shooter to compete with me for the ammo. J/K. That's the same rifle and scope I have. Also, think of putting a Pachmayr recoil pad on it. That light rifle shooting the 7-08 beats the crap out of my shoulder, that is, until I put the Pachmayr on it.

That's a good choice of a scope although the glass on the Conquest will be slightly better. I used 30mm Talley mounts. Pricewise, it's probably the same as the mount+rings setup. I just don't remember which height though.

Well, I'm going to be buying probably 2 boxes of Winchester Ballistic Silver tip for breaking in the barrel. After that I'm going to be hand loading so I guess you shouldn't worry about ammo ;). Thanks for the advice on Pachmayr recoil pads, I'll have to look into that.

Divernhunter 09-23-2013 10:00 PM

I have that rifle and a 6.5X55 model.
I put a 3X9X40 Duplex reticle Leupold on both of them using the rings that come with the rifle. Have shot a number of animals. I put on the direct replacement limbsaver recoil pad on both. Big help.
I have used the leupold out to over 600 yards taking game. I have also used it very close for taking game.

You would be better off if you used the K.I.S.S. idea setting up a hunting rifle.

Whiterabbit 09-23-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenjimatic (Post 12350597)

IMO you are way, way, way overmagnified.

I DO like the rings though. Couple those with the Warne torque wrench, you can't ask for a much better mount. I do recommend springing for the QR's though. IMO it is worth it, having run exactly those rings. ALL my guns with only one exception use warne QD's, and that will remain for the forseeable future.

But you say you want 50-300. 4.5x is WAY TOO MUCH for 50 yards, and 14x isn't required for 300 yards.

Since you are looking at the Viper HS level (if anything like the PST, that will be a very nice scope), I recommend something in the 2-7 range. If you demand to be overmagnified, then a 3x9. but no more, unless you can get less than 3x on the bottom end. Something like the 2.5-10 PST. But even that is way more scope than needed for 50-300. Heck, 9x will get you out past 500 yards easy!

Anyways, it's your call. but IMO you are WAY, WAY overmagnified.

Whiterabbit 09-23-2013 10:21 PM

ah, I missed that you made your choice already.

in the worse direction.

Oh well, the PST is a great scope. Heavy, and too much zoom for hunting, but I'm sure you'll like the glass and IMO the PST has the best reticle.

Enjoy hunting hair.

send it_hit 11-06-2013 5:23 PM

First off, the Tikkas are mighty fine rifles. I have the Varmint in .223 and it's an absolute tack driver. I also went with a 0moa EGW base, and I was popping 2liter soda bottles at 300, 500, and 800yds within 3 rounds (the 0moa mount and 80gr SMK's made holdovers fun :) ). I also had a Lite in .308 until recently, but never go to shoot it. I'm sure it's just as accurate.

But that was with a scope that would not be suited for hunting... just like the PST. Awesome optic, but a lot of mag and weight. Definitely look at Bushnell's higher end lines, but Leupold's hunting scopes are hard to beat. Shooting F Class matches? Sure, go PST.