Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Sacramento Chapter (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=289)
-   -   FFL in the Fair Oaks, Orangevale, CtrHts, areas. (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=667501)

walterwhite 12-31-2012 3:36 AM

FFL in the Fair Oaks, Orangevale, CtrHts, areas.

Yo Sac area shooters.

Last week I picked up two online purchased firearms that had to go through an FFL. I called around and went to a couple of places and decided on:

Golden State Tactical
Robby Betts
http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/

1st Robby's fees are fair:
$60.00 for the Transfer fee which consists of $35.00 Dealer Transfer Fee and $25.00 State DROS fee.

I was quoted as high as $75 for the transfer fee + DROS fee, from other store/FFL.

2nd Robby follows through. I bought a handgun & shotgun, the handgun was through a smaller vendor, no issues. The shotgun, didn't ship from first vendor I chose, so cancelled, ordered from a second vender and I cancelled later that same day. Then ordered through a 3rd vendor, who shipped same day. So there were multiple emails requiring Robby to send his FFL info to complete the order process. Robby never once said a word about the dozen or so emails, which I know created extra work for him.

3rd friendly service, I never met the guy we started with one brief phone conversation and then everything was via email. If you are the type that has to talk to someone live, then forget it, Robby is NOT for you, he is too busy. He is a one man show, answering the phone during this extraordinary time for gun purchases is difficult for him. Note I called some big online places that only went into voice mail, I emailed, and never got return emails. Each gun I purchased took more than 6 emails and replies with the selling vendor. Robby always responded faster than the vendors I bought the guns from and they were making the real money, the money made for transfer fee is NOTHING.

He does discount fees on multiple gun purchases if same type.

Note he works out of his house/garage so you have to have an appointment. At first this bothered me, however the 3 gun stores I went into took 45 minutes or more to get to talk to someone, I know this is an extraordinary time for buying guns, all gun stores are super busy. It was nice to know I could make the appointment, and get private service for what I wanted done.

I didn't buy anything from GST, so I'm not sure of his prices, however we had a discussion about price gouging during this peak demand period, Robby believes dealers should have a fair markup and not gouge, it hurts the business image, the buyer, and industry. I think he is serious because the number of AR receivers he moved in 3 days blew me away.

Robby is also Calgun member and post occasionally.

BTW, I'm not his friend, or relative, met him one time to do paperwork and next time to pickup guns.

BonnieB 12-31-2012 3:27 PM

I've bought from Robbie and he's excellent to deal with.

akoba 12-31-2012 3:48 PM

It looks like a good review for GST. If that is the kind of costumer service he had, i will stick to my first plan on using GST for my lower (group buy).
I try to contact him via email as i don't want to waste his time and ask about the pricing and procedure (it's already in his website i think). It took days before i got a response.

NotEnufGarage 01-01-2013 3:04 PM

Robbie is my "go to" guy for transfers and purchases, unless I decide I have to buy a gun on a Wednesday!!!

Jester3 01-05-2013 2:01 AM

I agree with the positive responses for Rob @ GST. I have done multiple transactions with Robby, always quick and efficient . Will continue to deal with him as long as I am in the area.

curtru 02-14-2013 11:16 AM

Does gst have a store local because the address goes to a home

Markinsac 02-14-2013 3:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curtru (Post 10532992)
Does gst have a store local because the address goes to a home

He is a home-based FFL - hence the appointment-only status.

He doesn't necessarily keep an inventory - when you identify something, you can either buy and have it shipped to him, or he will try to order it for you.

EvlMdnghtBmr 02-14-2013 3:39 PM

I will (quick post count) fifth this recommendation. I've used his services twice for gun purchases. He was polite, friendly, and very responsive as other posters have indicated.

supra 02-15-2013 2:33 PM

+1 for Robby. Did a PPT through him without any problems. He does operate out of his house, but has a legitimate ffl business. Has a wide selection on his online store with decent prices.

softreset 02-15-2013 5:36 PM

I'm a repeat customer and will always give him 1st dibs with my business. Ordered a CZ 455 American through him, he was fast, efficient and 15% less than another shop in Sacramento. I also did a transfer through him for an Anschutz 1918 and he worked with the seller to ensure a smooth and effortless transaction with very little interaction from me.

Highly recommended.

atilla916 02-28-2013 9:40 PM

GST is good to go. No issues whatsoever after several transfers/purchases.

sactoshooter 03-02-2013 8:47 PM

I have been dealing with Robby For awhile now and I am more then happy to throw my 2 cents in about the outstanding customer service you receive when dealing with him and his business. Way to go and Keep up the good work Robby !!!

Dizturbed One 03-06-2013 9:28 PM

He is very local to me and I like supporting local. I will probably email him tomorrow and see what he can do about an LC9 these days. Glad to see good reviews. Although I'm already on CalGuns, I actually found this thread while searching Golden State Tactical reviews after finding it on Google Maps.

walterwhite 03-07-2013 8:26 AM

Dizturbed One,
Robby has been extremely busy lately, and slow to respond to email unless it is a customer he is currently working with.

Best bet is just call the number on his website, he is has answered the last two times I called.

Robby is very direct and his conversations are short, not much for pleasantries. Just tell him what you want or need and he will give you the answers you need.

Jed peters 03-07-2013 8:42 AM

Another plus for robby. He has never done me wrong. Quick, efficient, and gets the job done!

Waggs 03-07-2013 9:35 AM

Is there anyplace locally for training to get your FFL?

sammass 03-11-2013 9:53 AM

Also +1 for Robby & GST. A customer for a while. Been driving by the location for many years before and didn't realize he had a non-stocking business there. Very low impact. He is busy, short and to the point. Definitely not a sit around the pot belly stove and tell yarns business model. Very efficient, ignores the phone during your appointment. No Fuss, No Muss. Was looking for a short supplied bolt action, nothing available. He called me back 3 months later with one in hand if I was still interested; if not, there were other names on his wait list. YES! was the appropriate answer. :-) Robby Betts is a straight forward good guy!

Waggs 03-13-2013 5:34 AM

What is the going rate for someone having a gun transfer of ownership?

David13 03-13-2013 6:17 AM

I have also dealt with Robby & GST and was very happy with the fast and efficient service.
I don't think you can beat that $60 price anywhere in the entire state.
dc

JDay 03-13-2013 7:22 AM

Checkout Just Guns off Auburn/Watt. Great service there.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

cjlane 04-21-2013 7:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDay (Post 10795595)
Checkout Just Guns off Auburn/Watt. Great service there.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

if youre into high prices and slow service

akoba 04-21-2013 8:56 AM

Robby is great. I will use his service on my next purchase.

Nate Haler 04-21-2013 6:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David13 (Post 10795244)
I have also dealt with Robby & GST and was very happy with the fast and efficient service.
I don't think you can beat that $60 price anywhere in the entire state.
dc

You wanna bet?

762ch 04-21-2013 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Haler (Post 11155103)
You wanna bet?

What is there to bet about? Rob has excellent customer service and a great reputation.

Cheaper isn't always better, but is there a new fair oaks ffl?

Special Agent R 04-21-2013 7:30 PM

Referred to Robby by my retired LEO friend whom actually works at a LGS. GST was actually able to do transfers and at a lower cost and get specific stock at better prices then the LGS he works at. Robby is fast and efficient and I appreciate by appt. only and no BS customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Special Agent R 04-21-2013 7:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Special Agent R (Post 11155451)
Referred to Robby by my retired LEO friend whom actually works at a LGS. GST was actually able to do transfers and at a lower cost and get specific stock at better prices then the LGS he works at. Robby is fast and efficient and I appreciate by appt. only and no BS customer service.
I've done many transactions with Robby at GST and plan on many more. I've also referred some of my Cal Gun friends to GST. and they're now loyal GST customers.

97F1504RAD 04-21-2013 7:48 PM

I will second everything you said about Rob, I just wish I was closer to him in order to give him more business.

Bulldog1911 04-21-2013 7:52 PM

I was one of the customer of Mr. Rob Betts. He's a nice guy and I will do another transfer from him.

vedra 05-07-2013 10:49 PM

+1 for Robby. He's a great fella to know in the area. I do as much business through him as I can