Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calgunners in Service (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Camp Pendleton Hunting (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=842988)

SF1975 10-25-2013 10:10 PM

Camp Pendleton Hunting

Just wanted to know in anyone here hunts in Camp Pendleton. If you do and need a hunting buddy let me know.

The sarge 10-26-2013 10:31 PM

Haven't been out in awhile since I coach soccer for MCCS but I hunt on Pendleton. This is my first year hunting and so far I have taken some rabbit and been unsuccessful with coyote.

Gun_Smoke 10-27-2013 4:46 PM

I rarely have time to hunt anymore but you can pm me if you are looking for a partner and don't have anyone I may be able to make it out.

I know of a few good deer spots, coyotes are easy to find if you know where to look. Ask the warden which training areas were recently used the mre trash attracks alot of varmits/small game.

The sarge 11-01-2013 5:52 PM

I'd love to know what you know about coyotes. I only seem to find them when I'm not hunting.

itsbs2 11-01-2013 9:34 PM

I hunt there every now and then. Would love to find someone to go with as I usually hunt rabbit there on my own. PM me and maybe we can set up a hunt!

SOAR79 11-01-2013 10:02 PM

sounds like fun!

The sarge 11-02-2013 9:00 PM

I know a pretty good rabbit spot. Good for 22 or shotgun.

SF1975 11-02-2013 10:36 PM

Awesome, thanks everyone! I'm most interested in Quail for right now. I went out with my son not long ago and had a blast. Anyone know a good area or have seen quail coveys while hunting for other things?
I will also like to take my son to duck hunt but I have never done it. The season in Pendleton starts on 26 Nov for duck and would like to know if anyone out there would be willing to show us the ropes.

Germz 11-03-2013 2:10 AM

I've got a hunting class scheduled at the warden's office on the 17th. I'm pumped to start pickin up some rabbits

Quote:

Originally Posted by The sarge (Post 12680657)
I know a pretty good rabbit spot. Good for 22 or shotgun.

back hills of 24 area behind the brig are packed with rabbits, squirrels and coyotes.

Bowhunter_619 11-03-2013 5:39 AM

I ran into a few covies of quail during archery season in India. We saw 7 coyote yesterday while hunting, all in November and SMR 1. My hunting partner took a 2x out of November with one side broken off.

The sarge 11-03-2013 8:59 PM

I have found quite abit of scat in the smr's but never have seen the yotes. As far as quail I really haven't seen or heard of much being around anywhere this year.

Duck is something I really want to do and have my duck stamp already but have never duck hunted and the ponds right now are all dry and not looking good. I hope to get to the next sportsman's club meeting to see if there is any hope in sight for that. I know there are some other duck areas than the ponds but they are accessible only by boat I believe.

Germz- not sure but I believe the area you are looking at should be shotgun only behind the brig.

The sarge 11-11-2013 9:36 PM

Found the quail today. 2 different covies in different spots. One was really healthy 40 birds or so. The other was around 15 or so from what I saw fly.

SF1975 11-18-2013 8:25 PM

Bowhunter, thanks for the info! We'll go check it out next time and congrats on the Yotes. Funny thing is I heard that from the warden that day. Keep shooting them when ever you get a chance as it will increase the chance of survival for quail and other small game lol.

Sarge, thanks for the info! 30+ is a very healthy covey. You should come out with us ( my Son and another Marine) next time we go.

Anyone else is invited too. We found out that the more people the better as it's easier to round them up as we walk through the fields. Maybe we could even do a hunting party and even a BBQ at the end perhaps? Just a thought :)

Oh, and have anyone hunted Dove in CP? What area would you recommend?

SF1975 11-20-2013 7:01 PM

Any Service member interested on doing a pheasant hunt on Sunday 24? PM me for more details.

r3dtitan 11-22-2013 12:56 AM

hey guys, its been a two+ years since I separated from the Corps in Pendleton. Id love to go hunting there. Could you guys point me in the right directions to get started? and I don't have a hunting license tho

rooster85 11-22-2013 2:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r3dtitan (Post 12820076)
hey guys, its been a two+ years since I separated from the Corps in Pendleton. Id love to go hunting there. Could you guys point me in the right directions to get started? and I don't have a hunting license tho

You need a license and a sponsor bro.

Bowhunter_619 11-22-2013 5:09 AM

If you didn't retire, or work there as part of the government, or a dependant you are not eligible to hunt Pendleton. I'm sure I overlooked one other category but can't recall it.

KNITTER 11-28-2013 7:06 AM

I've always been an avid upland game hunter my whole life, but I just bought my first AR-15 and am trying to get into coyote hunting. where on Pendleton is the game office and once I get there will they have maps on where I can hunt. also how do you get a weapon on base, do I just declare it if the gate guard ask and if they don't just don't say anything.

Bowhunter_619 11-28-2013 7:10 AM

You do not have to declare the rifle at the gate, just ensure you have it cased. The Game Warden office is building 2648, it is behind the Mechanized Museum. You will need to pay the $20 fee to hunt on base. They will have a listing of training areas that are open on the board and they have maps for all the areas. I assume you are eligible to hunt on base.

KNITTER 11-28-2013 8:48 AM

If by eligible you mean active duty and have a current hunting license then yes I am, unless there is more.

Bowhunter_619 11-28-2013 8:57 AM

That's what I meant. I will be up there tomorrow and maybe Saturday. Good Luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by KNITTER (Post 12864391)
If by eligible you mean active duty and have a current hunting license then yes I am, unless there is more.

KNITTER 11-28-2013 10:34 AM

Another side note, is there a local place that will tan a coyote pelt, I don't know how to do it and I don't want to kill a coyote unless I'm going to use it.

Bowhunter_619 11-28-2013 10:56 AM

there is a taxidermist guy that frequents Pendleton during deer season and I'm sure they have his card in the Warden Office. I would be willing to bet, he can get you in the right direction