Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   PTR91 GI vs Scout Carbine -- Need help choosing (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=738280)

neomedic 04-03-2013 4:23 PM

PTR91 GI vs Scout Carbine -- Need help choosing

I'm having a hard time deciding between the two.

Scout Carbine Pros:
Better finished (Painted I think vs just parkerized for the GI)
Matching Black Furniture vs ugly green furniture
Has picatinny rails on receiver for scope
Has 3,6,9 picatinny rails on handguard for accessories

GI Pros:
Cost
18" barrel
Since this will be more of a just to have rifle, I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $400 for the PTR91-SC.

What would you get and why? :confused:

Thanks.

Steve_In_29 04-03-2013 7:26 PM

I bought the GI, mainly because it was the only variant the LGS had but also because I had heard PTR had the chambers on the GI revised closer to G3 specs to allow use of any mil-surp ammo. As opposed to the tighter tolerances they employed on their other models as a means of enhancing accuracy.

Someone else recently posted that PTR has now done that to all their models but I haven't verified that.

Fantomas 04-03-2013 7:36 PM

PTR

18" barrel better for 308.

Go Packers! 04-03-2013 7:39 PM

That's an easy one. Get the PTR 91 Classic Wood.

I love the look. You would lose the rails that you mentioned. It does have an 18" barrel and black powder coated finish. Either way, I am sure you will enjoy which ever you choose. It is one my wish list.

http://www.ptr91.com/products/PTR%20...c%20Wood?id=28

neomedic 04-03-2013 8:45 PM

I did call PTR and was told that they resolved the issue of non-GI models not being able to run tar-seal surplus ammo.

But looking at their website under "technical information"

http://i48.tinypic.com/xlxg0m.jpg
G.I. Series Rifles
Made with match grade barrels
Chambered for .308 or 7.62 NATO caliber
Rate of twist: 1 in 10
15mm x 1mm right handed barrel threading for attachments
Original G3 “stepped” barrel profile

http://www.ptr91.com/uploaded_files/...08f91%20SC.png
91 Series Rifles
Made with match grade bull barrels
Chambered for .308 or 7.62 NATO
Rate of Twist: 1 in 10
15mm x 1mm right handed barrel threading for attachments
Barrel diameter: .70”
Fluted barrel

So while they may have changed some specs on the 91 series rifles to be more reliably feed ammo, it seems only the GI series have the "original G3 stepped barrel profile. Don't know if that is a better option or not?

I don't mind not having the rails on the hand guard. But having a rail welded on the receiver for optics is really nice!!

Lastly I like the painted finish better than the parkerized.

serjm1a1 04-03-2013 9:44 PM

The more I take my PTR-91 GI to the range the more I love it, next year I will be putting a 3.5x Acog on it. Eats everything I feed it and is damn accurate, my bro destroyed a bowling pin at about 175 yards with iron sights his 1st time using it.

MrPlink 04-03-2013 9:55 PM

the correct answer is none of the above.
This is the one to get.
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/imag...ct/ptra3r3.jpg
The Atlantic exclusive.
Unfortunately just like most things gun related and all hip hop music of the last decade... sold out!

neomedic 04-03-2013 10:02 PM

^^^ That would be nice, but atlantic firearms are out of stock.

And who knows when it will be back. Got 8 months left to get everything I want.

B!ngo 04-04-2013 4:50 PM

Wow, I'm surprised about so many votes in favor of the PTR. They're excellent/classic Battle Rifles (tm), but the Scout is a modern design. The16" versus 18" difference is in the noise (and the 16" should be more accurate), the PTR's are not known for their accuracy regardless, they can also be rough on brass, and they are pretty heavy.
I really like them both, but I prefer the Scout. For me, that is the best rifle in terms of price/performance that has hit the market in years. Excellent at almost everything - though not the best at anything.
B

neomedic 04-04-2013 4:59 PM

^^^ Thanks for your input.

But I'm trying to decide between two different PTR91s The GI version and the SC (Scout Carbine) version.

Steve_In_29 04-04-2013 7:47 PM

Something else, since you are choosing a caliber that can reach out and touch someone, why handicap it with a shorter barrel and loose some of that capability.

urbancommando 04-04-2013 8:36 PM

Don't forget the PTR chews up cartridges so you won't be able to reload.

neomedic 04-04-2013 9:04 PM

Thanks. I don't reload. At least I don't at the moment. Maybe in the future, but not anytime soon.

Steve_In_29 04-04-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urbancommando (Post 11005629)

Not true, you just can't count on being able to reload every cartridge you fire. Mine will have at least 15 out of every 20 GOOD for reloading.

torsf 04-04-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPlink (Post 10997215)
the correct answer is none of the above.
This is the one to get.
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/imag...ct/ptra3r3.jpg
The Atlantic exclusive.
Unfortunately just like most things gun related and all hip hop music of the last decade... sold out!

The Atlantic version is an excellent rifle.

darthsideous 04-05-2013 6:09 AM

Furniture can always be changed out. I think surp wood stock and handguard is $20 when they're back in stock

crazychinaman 04-05-2013 6:42 AM

Quote:

Just buy a port buffer,then you can reload,and also the brass does not fly into the next county

BHPFan 04-05-2013 7:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B!ngo (Post 11003537)
Wow, I'm surprised about so many votes in favor of the PTR. They're excellent/classic Battle Rifles (tm), but the Scout is a modern design. The16" versus 18" difference is in the noise (and the 16" should be more accurate), the PTR's are not known for their accuracy regardless, they can also be rough on brass, and they are pretty heavy.
I really like them both, but I prefer the Scout. For me, that is the best rifle in terms of price/performance that has hit the market in years. Excellent at almost everything - though not the best at anything.
B

Not necessarily true. There are precision shooting models. Also, HK made sniper rifles (PSG-1) from that same system.

Quote:

I don't know about PTR, but that was my experience with the similar HK91. However, read around forums and you will find the following below:
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazychinaman (Post 11007888)
Just buy a port buffer,then you can reload,and also the brass does not fly into the next county

This.

Plus, get a heavy recoil buffer (the one fitted by the buttstock) if the recoil is too hard for you.

nitroxdiver 04-05-2013 8:50 AM

A few points to consider. Furniture is cheap and easy to swap. If you go wood, you cannot install a heavy recoil buffer without modifying the stock. If you stick with the standard stocks, a heavy recoil buffer is a simple drop in part. A relatively inexpensive yet very worthwhile investment.

The metal collapsible stocks, while super cool looking and very nicely made, are a bit brutal to actually shoot the gun with.

The GI spec HK91 bbl profile will be lighter and handier, although it is still a heavy weapon.

Optics choices are limited unless you get the one with the welded rail. Personally I like the claw mount hensoldt fero zf4 fixed 4 power issue scope.

People reload 91 brass all the time. It ejects them into the next county, and puts a ding on them if not using the port buffer.

It's a fairly dirty weapon.

If you can get your hands on a .22 conversion kit for it, definitely do it.

Have fun, 91 pattern rifles are awesome.

Sent from classified location using Tapatalk.

serjm1a1 04-05-2013 9:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitroxdiver (Post 11008933)
A few points to consider. Furniture is cheap and easy to swap. If you go wood, you cannot install a heavy recoil buffer without modifying the stock. If you stick with the standard stocks, a heavy recoil buffer is a simple drop in part. A relatively inexpensive yet very worthwhile investment.

The metal collapsible stocks, while super cool looking and very nicely made, are a bit brutal to actually shoot the gun with.

The GI spec HK91 bbl profile will be lighter and handier, although it is still a heavy weapon.

Optics choices are limited unless you get the one with the welded rail. Personally I like the claw mount hensoldt fero zf4 fixed 4 power issue scope.

People reload 91 brass all the time. It ejects them into the next county, and puts a ding on them if not using the port buffer.

It's a fairly dirty weapon.

If you can get your hands on a .22 conversion kit for it, definitely do it.

Have fun, 91 pattern rifles are awesome.

.22 ? didn't know what was possible with the PTR, I'm guessing you need to change the barrel?

Steve_In_29 04-05-2013 9:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serjm1a1 (Post 11009086)
.22 ? didn't know what was possible with the PTR, I'm guessing you need to change the barrel?

It is a kit with an insert that provides a bolt/chamber/barrel liner that slips into the existing barrel.

serjm1a1 04-05-2013 9:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 (Post 11009167)
It is a kit with an insert that provides a bolt/chamber/barrel liner that slips into the existing barrel.

hu, interesting...sliding a barrel liner sounds like it can harm the rifling on the original..I could be completely wrong.

Oceanbob 04-05-2013 9:39 AM

http://i52.tinypic.com/2e0ppud.jpg

nitroxdiver 04-05-2013 9:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serjm1a1 (Post 11009086)

Its made for the military G3. It uses a barrel sleeve insert different bolt group and different mag. They are old military stock. Only issue getting one in Ca is the mags are 20 rounders so you'd need to have someone take them apart for you and block them to 10.

nitroxdiver 04-08-2013 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serjm1a1 (Post 11009263)
hu, interesting...sliding a barrel liner sounds like it can harm the rifling on the original..I could be completely wrong.

No harm to the barrel. At least none ever reported that I've read about, nor on my rifle. It's made by HK and is an amazing piece if engineering.

Cadre 04-08-2013 3:33 PM

the atlantic version i red comes with a lifetime warranty not sure if the others do.

Steve_In_29 04-08-2013 5:26 PM

PTR has recently gone to a lifetime warranty as well.