Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   General gun discussions (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   NPR poll on Biden's "buy a shotgun" comments (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=708217)

m03 02-20-2013 1:15 PM

NPR poll on Biden's "buy a shotgun" comments

We probably want to hit this one:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...-buy-a-shotgun

:)

gwgn02 02-20-2013 1:24 PM

done

kantstudien 02-20-2013 1:30 PM

Wait... Biden can't have it both ways.

If shotguns were so much more effective than AR-15s, then why bother going to all this effort to ban them? If anything needs to be banned, it would be shotguns!

"You don't need an AR-15. It's harder to aim, it's harder to use, and in fact you don't need 30 rounds to protect yourself."

m03 02-20-2013 1:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kantstudien (Post 10592536)
"in fact you don't need 30 rounds to protect yourself."

If 9 projectiles are in a typical 00 buckshot shell, then wouldn't only 3 or so rounds of buckshot be the same thing?

Hmmm.

Cpl. Haas 02-20-2013 2:26 PM

Gotta say, I agree with Biden on this one... in my opinion, a 12gauge shotgun with 00-buck makes an excellent HD weapon...

...but an "assault-style" weapon still serves its purpose in my armory.

P345 02-20-2013 2:36 PM

Ok so what about knowing your target BEFORE you pull the trigger? WOW VP, lets tell America.... Don't worry about what you are shooting at just aim and fire. :sarcasm:

acolytes 02-20-2013 2:38 PM

Done

billofrights 02-20-2013 2:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P345 (Post 10593218)
Ok so what about knowing your target BEFORE you pull the trigger? WOW VP, lets tell America.... Don't worry about what you are shooting at just aim and fire. :sarcasm:

That's a cherished VP position in U.S. politics, just ask Cheney.

"If there are bad guys on the property, walk out on the balcony and fire a couple blasts from their double-barrel shotgun"
Wow. So brandishing then? No mention of imminent threat to life, just blast away out the window, huh? Oh, and "fire a couple" from your TWO BARRELS, so now you're empty and the bad guys are pissed. Brilliant logic.

NorCalXJ 02-20-2013 2:46 PM

Pretty soon it will turn change to owning an assault shotgun.

FORD4LIFE 02-20-2013 2:47 PM

Soooo are we voting yes or no......

Hahahaha

DennisCA 02-20-2013 2:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billofrights (Post 10593331)
That's a cherished VP position in U.S. politics, just ask Cheney.

"If there are bad guys on the property, walk out on the balcony and fire a couple blasts from their double-barrel shotgun"
Wow. So brandishing then? No mention of imminent threat to life, just blast away out the window, huh? Oh, and "fire a couple" from your TWO BARRELS, so now you're empty and the bad guys are pissed. Brilliant logic.

"That's a cherished VP position in U.S. politics, just ask Cheney."
Only if you are bird-hunting with him:facepalm:

Mikeb 02-20-2013 2:49 PM

I don't know ... I still prefer a handgun

AragornElessar86 02-20-2013 3:03 PM

Refresh the page and you can vote over and over and over and...

I am a giant idiot. Listen to nothing I say. :facepalm:

mabilis_matulis 02-20-2013 3:09 PM

I do use a shotgun for HD.. Not a double barrel but a 870

paul0660 02-20-2013 3:17 PM

Joe is disingenuous because he knows a shot to his head would make no difference.

chris1911 02-20-2013 3:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpl. Haas (Post 10593100)
Gotta say, I agree with Biden on this one... in my opinion, a 12gauge shotgun with 00-buck makes an excellent HD weapon...

Except it's big, long, and the resulting muzzle flash is likely to blind you temporarily after the first shot if it's at night.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Biden
If there are bad guys on the property, walk out on the balcony and fire a couple blasts from their double-barrel shotgun.

Yeah great idea Joey, and while you're reloading that double-barrel after firing off a couple shots they can easily take you out. And also, in case you didn't know buddy, you can't fire a warning shot here in California so that does us no good.

kurac 02-20-2013 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kantstudien (Post 10592536)
Wait... Biden can't have it both ways.

If shotguns were so much more effective than AR-15s, then why bother going to all this effort to ban them? If anything needs to be banned, it would be shotguns!

"You don't need an AR-15. It's harder to aim, it's harder to use, and in fact you don't need 30 rounds to protect yourself."

Don't worry, when only double barreled shotguns are left, the gun grabbers will go after those as well.

CoopsDad 02-20-2013 4:32 PM

"Jill, just fire the thing till it clicks empty... that should do it!"

"... harder to aim, harder to use- why even bother? Hold out your hand and we'll give you a nice EBT card and an Obama phone."

bohoki 02-20-2013 4:52 PM

saiga 12s with 20 round drums for everybody

cmichini 02-20-2013 6:32 PM

Quote:

Did you watch the video?

His version of using the shotgun as HD (specifically pointed out as double barreled by the way) was to go out on the balcony/terrace and discharge it to scare away the intruders.

The way he's advocating is not home defense, personal defense or any defense. He's advocating discharging a firearm (likely illegally for most folks) in an effort to scare off an intruder when you may not be justified in even using deadly force, yet.

This guy puts your every day retard to shame.

seabee1 02-20-2013 6:38 PM

Quote:

I agree, that a 12ga. is a great choice for HD. What I disagree with is "go outside and blast a couple shells" First, she'll never need to do that, as their security is provided at taxpayer expense

also, you just walk outside and fire? no asking "who's there?" ?

beretta929mm 02-20-2013 7:14 PM

done.

GW 02-20-2013 7:22 PM

Biden
What a maroon:facepalm:

safewaysecurity 02-20-2013 7:26 PM

I demand we equip his secret service protection with double barrel shotguns since they are so much more effective. Take those hard to use, and hard to aim assault weapons with 30 round mags away from them.

Nick Justice 02-20-2013 7:28 PM

Wrong.
If shotguns are easier to aim, why do I miss at trap and skeet with my 870, but hit the paper every time with my 270, 8mm, and 308?

safewaysecurity 02-20-2013 7:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Justice (Post 10596581)
Wrong.
If shotguns are easier to aim, why do I miss at trap and skeet with my 870, but hit the paper every time with my 270, 8mm, and 308?

http://ferringtonpost.com/wp-content...oto-by-2bp.jpg

winston1911 02-20-2013 8:42 PM

My votes in

NoHeavyHitter 02-20-2013 8:48 PM

I'm right there with you on this Mr. Biden!~

As soon as the KelTec KSG's come down from "scarcity-pricing", I'll be buying one! :)

HiveDR. 02-20-2013 9:20 PM

Do the secret service agents protecting his wife and family use double barrel shotguns(?) or are they armed with something more modern say a P90, MP_ or M4s. Just asking?

Oh and that whole firing a few rounds to scare (?) them (?) off thing would not fly in any state. I wonder if that was part DiFi approved.

Quiet 02-20-2013 10:27 PM

Is Vice President Biden right about shotguns, assault-style weapons and self-protection?
Yes 39.6% (3,657 Clicks)
No 60.4% (5,578 Clicks)
Total: 9,235

bohoki 02-20-2013 10:36 PM

i just realized its harder to hit blue helmets with a shotgun than a rifle

wpage 02-21-2013 3:20 AM

Gotta love Joe B...

Rod Nokin 02-21-2013 6:44 AM

I don't understand the politics behind this. Is he trying to appeal to gun owners by saying some guns are ok? Well,that ain't workin'. Is he trying to tell the anti's certain guns are ok? That ain't gonna fly either.

Nick Justice 02-21-2013 8:22 AM

He should have started his answer with: "All right, you primitive screwheads, listen up! You see this?...."

DCF 02-21-2013 8:43 AM

His advice will probably land us people with no special privilege to jail.

fuj357racing 02-21-2013 9:16 AM

i believe you need to have a shotgun anyways, so buying another one is a good idea. one for your husband or wife to use or a backup when you damage or lose it when the shtf

artoaster 02-21-2013 9:20 AM

Quote:

Really?

You can't be serious since these comments come from a context of not knowing much about firearms or HD.

coverme2 02-21-2013 9:48 AM

If the poll turn out is of any indication, and the fact that gun owners are numbered in millions here in the US of 2A, it's no wonder our 2A rights are readily assaulted by the antis. Out of millions and theres only a few thousand votes...presumably by gun owners who are paying attention? Looks like American most gun owners can't be bothered with these types of polls...yet the antis will use this and other methods to show we are weak and thus the 2A is not worth having around.

We need to show and tell the antis and the ignorant that they are wrong and properly educate why we're right about the 2A and our firearms....and easy polls like these are the easiest to do of all the methods. Vote. Click. In nothing but my underwear even!:D:D:D

How's that song go..."Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone....."

coverme2 02-21-2013 9:48 AM

If the poll turn out is of any indication, and the fact that gun owners are numbered in millions here in the US of 2A, it's no wonder our 2A rights are readily assaulted by the antis. Out of millions and theres only a few thousand votes...presumably by gun owners who are paying attention? Looks like American most gun owners can't be bothered with these types of polls...yet the antis will use this and other methods to show we are weak and thus the 2A is not worth having around.

We need to show and tell the antis and the ignorant that they are wrong and properly educate why we're right about the 2A and our firearms....and easy polls like these are the easiest to do of all the methods. Vote. Click. In nothing but my underwear even!:D:D:D

How's that song go..."Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got till it's gone....."

LooseCannon 02-22-2013 6:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCalXJ (Post 10593346)
Pretty soon it will turn change to owning an assault shotgun.

Ding-Ding-Ding!

This President will take our "assault rifles"

The next democratic president will take the "assault shotguns"

And we can all guess what comes next... They are just turning up the heat a little more so we all get used to it.

LC