Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   San Bernardino (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352781)

MP40C-CC 12-06-2015 4:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 17302461)
What is the typical size for a class?
For those in the high dez...
What can I expect for Jan 2, other than farking cold?

I used to do a fair amount of work in Victorville and I know snow was rare (never encountered it) but it happens.

Its going to be farking cold. At that time of year, don't be surprised if it stays in the low 50s. Wear a sweater and you'll be fine. But who knows, it maybe around 80 when you take your class. After all, guns are to blame for this weather.

poriggity 12-07-2015 9:10 AM

Finally stopped procrastinating, interview is on March 18th.

I talked to Sarah, and she was very helpful. If you have any questions, I urge people to call the ccw department. She answered all of my questions, and I wil l now be fully prepared for my interview with application in hand. I was unable to submit the application online, so she said just to bring it all with me on my interview date.

dave131 12-07-2015 9:13 AM

Happy to hear another applicant for a CCW. We need it now more than ever.

Swatter911 12-07-2015 11:40 AM

Quote:

I used to do a fair amount of work in Victorville and I know snow was rare (never encountered it) but it happens.

20 in the class at AVGC, held in the shotgun range classroom. You will shoot rain/shine or snow. Bring your lunch.

liftedkilt 12-07-2015 11:44 AM

Does anyone have an update on the lease requirements?

http://ccwwww.calguns.net/calgunforu....php?t=1002617

Seems to indicate that the rental requirement is no longer in place. Hoping someone could confirm that.

My appointment is for March 21st, at which point I would only have 5 months left in my lease.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I spoke with the Sheriff's office and they confirmed that indeed there is no such restriction on the length of term of the lease agreement.

Cokebottle 12-07-2015 5:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poriggity (Post 17310278)
Finally stopped procrastinating, interview is on March 18th.

I talked to Sarah, and she was very helpful. If you have any questions, I urge people to call the ccw department. She answered all of my questions, and I wil l now be fully prepared for my interview with application in hand. I was unable to submit the application online, so she said just to bring it all with me on my interview date.

Awesome!

The PDF link is somewhat "broken"... you can't fill it out from your browser, you have to save the file to your desktop and open it with Adobe reader.
It then properly loads the "mailto" link in your default mail program.
I normally use Webmail, but I have an installation of Thunderbird just for intercepting mailto links.

Follow the instructions to the letter, but my experience was though I brought originals and copies of all documents, she handed my copies back and made her own there, then returned the originals.
Some have said that most delays are due to paperwork issues on interview day, so be sure that everything is 100%.
I went through my packet three times the week before my interview to make sure everything was right.

Birth certificate: Be sure it is a CERTIFIED copy. If you were born in LA County before 1964, get down to Norwalk ASAP and get the ball rolling. It took about 6 weeks for mine to show in the mail.
If you were born after 1964, they can pull a certified copy on the spot.
I don't know how other counties handle it.

Your guns need to be registered to you. If you are married, bring a certified copy of your marriage certificate and you can list guns registered to your wife.
The guns are now inspected at the range. I completed the form and it was one of the first pieces of paper she shoved back across the counter. There is a separate form that you will take to the range.

Interview day...
There will be a brief review of your application.
You will then be handed another list of questions that are more in-depth than those on the application. IIRC, it's around 50 questions.
Quote: "Emphasis on 'ever' "
I used 3 pages for the explanations of my "yes" answers, so don't feel bad if you have to answer something "yes"
These answers are then verbally reviewed, and there are followup verbal questions. Basically, if you are lying on the application or the initial questions, you'll get caught up during verbal.
The interview is 90% an honesty test.

If you manage to lie your way through the initial application process, they'll get you in 2 years on your renewal ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swatter911 (Post 17311074)
20 in the class at AVGC, held in the shotgun range classroom. You will shoot rain/shine or snow. Bring your lunch.

Awesome.
Is the stand covered if it's raining? Curious if I'd need some kind of cover for my pack.
I assume a member gets there to unlock the gate well before 8. How early can one arrive (I plan on spending the night up there)?

Krejaton 12-07-2015 10:37 PM

Quote:

8 hrs of fun
Most of it learning laws and listening to lectures
A quick 30 shots of each gun on your CC permit
Bring food and drink

I will be out there with you so see you there!

Cokebottle 12-07-2015 11:07 PM

I'll bring enough ammo for 30 shots (hell, I'll bring enough for 3 people), but everything I've read is it's just 5 reload 5 and done

MiXoLoGiSt 12-08-2015 12:01 AM

San Bernardino

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 17315162)
I'll bring enough ammo for 30 shots (hell, I'll bring enough for 3 people), but everything I've read is it's just 5 reload 5 and done

You are right. It is 10 shots per gun. 5 reload 5 from 5 yards away on a B27 target. Be ready for it to be cold. Also bring your food/drink because there's not much as far as food goes close to the AVGC.

I did my class in Devore and even though I live up here in the desert, it was actually cheaper and better for me to go to Devore. Devore had a great instructor. I hear good things about the instructor at AVGC also.

Swatter911 12-08-2015 7:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 17313276)

Awesome.
Is the stand covered if it's raining? Curious if I'd need some kind of cover for my pack.
I assume a member gets there to unlock the gate well before 8. How early can one arrive (I plan on spending the night up there)?

Benches are covered for your pack, firing line is not so bring snivel gear if you need to.

Gate usually opens about 7 - go up the hill to the shotgun range, it has a modular building that contains the classroom.

Cokebottle 12-08-2015 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swatter911 (Post 17316131)
Benches are covered for your pack, firing line is not so bring snivel gear if you need to.

Gate usually opens about 7 - go up the hill to the shotgun range, it has a modular building that contains the classroom.

Awesome.

I need a new rain jacket anyway.

G_Sanch88 12-09-2015 10:08 AM

Called today and heard they have more staff to expedite process. Good news, except for the fact that it now takes over 5 months for interview. Glad to have got my February appointment.

poriggity 12-09-2015 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G_Sanch88 (Post 17322587)
Called today and heard they have more staff to expedite process. Good news, except for the fact that it now takes over 5 months for interview. Glad to have got my February appointment.

I snuck my interview in for the beginning of March.. Must have been an influx of applicants.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

tonystar2006 12-09-2015 11:03 AM

Hey guys I'm set to have my class in Devore this Saturday. Detective Logan had told me that the dept would send me an email a week before the class, haven't received an email and can't get a hold of anybody at the dept. do you know what that email contains?

Cokebottle 12-09-2015 4:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonystar2006 (Post 17322867)
Hey guys I'm set to have my class in Devore this Saturday. Detective Logan had told me that the dept would send me an email a week before the class, haven't received an email and can't get a hold of anybody at the dept. do you know what that email contains?

Most likely copies of these....

Cokebottle 12-09-2015 4:39 PM

Quote:

WOW!

Just this week a 3-month interview was posted.

ScottyDoesntMow 12-09-2015 6:07 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't call the process being extended "expedited"...

G_Sanch88 12-09-2015 6:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyDoesntMow (Post 17324885)
I wouldn't call the process being extended "expedited"...

Sorry, I meant "expedited" as in the processes after the interview. That was the info given to me from the guy I spoke with at the Sheriff's Department. He had stated they now have more help in their department.

ScottyDoesntMow 12-09-2015 7:30 PM

I'm just being overly critical. I'm going on 120 days without an approval yet, so I'm a little salty. Don't mind me.

Cokebottle 12-09-2015 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyDoesntMow (Post 17325310)
I'm just being overly critical. I'm going on 120 days without an approval yet, so I'm a little salty. Don't mind me.

Did you get the cause of the delay straightened out?
It was the employment verification, right?

ScottyDoesntMow 12-09-2015 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 17325324)
Did you get the cause of the delay straightened out?
It was the employment verification, right?

Indeed. That was all straightened out almost a month ago.

Cokebottle 12-09-2015 8:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyDoesntMow (Post 17325606)
Indeed. That was all straightened out almost a month ago.

You should be getting a call soon then.
Det Logan called me last Tuesday afternoon.
Pretty sure they were not back to work again until Monday (or were possibly assisting).

After everything clears, the app still needs to circulate through all of the brass that need to sign off.
I talked to Sarah on the 13th and she said I was clear but it was going through for signatures.
Even if HR was working last Thursday/Friday, McMahon and others needed to sign off were probably a little busy.

ScottyDoesntMow 12-09-2015 9:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 17325635)
You should be getting a call soon then.
Det Logan called me last Tuesday afternoon.
Pretty sure they were not back to work again until Monday (or were possibly assisting).

After everything clears, the app still needs to circulate through all of the brass that need to sign off.
I talked to Sarah on the 13th and she said I was clear but it was going through for signatures.
Even if HR was working last Thursday/Friday, McMahon and others needed to sign off were probably a little busy.

I understand. I still reserve the right to be salty about it.

Quiet 12-09-2015 10:25 PM

Local news reported that SBSD permit applications has gone up 500% since the terrorist attack in San Bernardino.

dave131 12-10-2015 1:43 PM

So I finally picked up my permit yesterday. Feels good. Glad I started the process when I did.

DrScorpio 12-10-2015 2:09 PM

I thought I'd just throw in my current status. May or may not help anyone get an idea of whats going on (tho the terrorist incident may have changed things).

10-14-15: Emailed application via weird pdf system
10-30-15: Called sheriff dept to schedule interview (they said they never received the email application)
02-01-15: Interview scheduled

CHPlinker 12-10-2015 4:43 PM

Yesterday I submitted my app via the "submit application button" (works like a charm for gmail, but not hotmail). I got a call today and just missed picking it up on time as my cell phone was across the room, but the voicemail message was interesting. Hightlights were:

1. They received my application
2. They are changing the system
3. Because of that, I'll need to RESUBMIT MY APPLICATION ONLINE on Monday
4. After which I'll be able to CHOOSE MY OWN INTERVIEW DATE

Will post again once I know what that looks like.

CHPlinker 12-10-2015 5:05 PM

And their website backs that up:

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/sheriff/ccwfaq.aspx

Nice graphic.

katranch 12-10-2015 7:55 PM

Could someone tell me if I still need to go to the local city PD before I contact the Sheriff regarding a CCW.

blindman 12-10-2015 7:59 PM

Just go straight to the sheriff's

katranch 12-10-2015 8:00 PM

Thank you sir!!!

Cokebottle 12-10-2015 8:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katranch (Post 17331239)
Could someone tell me if I still need to go to the local city PD before I contact the Sheriff regarding a CCW.

That was an old requirement under Rod Hoops.
John McMahon eliminated it.

Cokebottle 12-10-2015 8:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHPlinker (Post 17330147)
Yesterday I submitted my app via the "submit application button" (works like a charm for gmail, but not hotmail). I got a call today and just missed picking it up on time as my cell phone was across the room, but the voicemail message was interesting. Hightlights were:

1. They received my application
2. They are changing the system
3. Because of that, I'll need to RESUBMIT MY APPLICATION ONLINE on Monday
4. After which I'll be able to CHOOSE MY OWN INTERVIEW DATE

Will post again once I know what that looks like.

Interesting... sounds like they are going to have a calendar on the site, otherwise everyone would select "Tomorrow"

ScottyDoesntMow 12-10-2015 11:36 PM

I DO wonder why they make the lowest caliber you're allowed to carry a .25. What's the harm in carrying a Walther P22?

tonystar2006 12-11-2015 12:21 AM

Anybody else have their class on December 12th?

GlockN'Roll 12-11-2015 8:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyDoesntMow (Post 17332192)
I DO wonder why they make the lowest caliber you're allowed to carry a .25. What's the harm in carrying a Walther P22?

Because 22 would just make people mad... :rolleyes:

Actually...

http://www.shootingillustrated.com/a...0/26/22-lr-for

ScottyDoesntMow 12-11-2015 2:50 PM

"Requested page not available."

Also, got a call today that I passed background and am scheduled for Devore on 16 Jan.

Salty level reduced by 50%.

Cokebottle 12-11-2015 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottyDoesntMow (Post 17335034)
"Requested page not available."

Also, got a call today that I passed background and am scheduled for Devore on 16 Jan.

Salty level reduced by 50%.

Awesome.
I had my choice of AV on the 2nd or Devore on the 16th.
I took AV because I wanted to get my permit before my birthday, and while Crossroads Ontario is the weekend of the 2nd, Costa Mesa is the 16th.

ScottyDoesntMow 12-11-2015 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 17337253)
Awesome.
I had my choice of AV on the 2nd or Devore on the 16th.
I took AV because I wanted to get my permit before my birthday, and while Crossroads Ontario is the weekend of the 2nd, Costa Mesa is the 16th.

Lucky!

MiXoLoGiSt 12-12-2015 1:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave131 (Post 17329234)
So I finally picked up my permit yesterday. Feels good. Glad I started the process when I did.

Congrats. They finally fixed the printer huh?