Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Coronavirus/COVID19 Temp Forum (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=441)
-   -   CDC To Recommend ALL Americans Wear Masks? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1599587)

CPRAFAN 03-29-2020 10:49 AM

CDC To Recommend ALL Americans Wear Masks?
 
Dr. Matt McCarthy - Assistant Professor of Medicine at Weill Cornell,staff physician at New York-Presbyterian Hospital, and author of Superbugs: The Race to Stop an Epidemic- claims that the CDC is about to do a 180 degree change, and to recommend that everyone wear masks.

If true, such a change would be very helpful. Specifically, numerous studies show that "facemasks play a pivotal role in the prevention and control of infectious respiratory disease transmission".

Indeed, a study last year by scientists at the Departments of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, University of Maryland, and the FDA's Division of Applied Mechanics, showed that - if 80% of a population wears masks - it will stop a flu epidemic (it "essentially eliminated the influenza outbreak"). They found that if half of a population wore masks, it "resulted in a significant ... reduction in risk" (the typical flu virus is between 80 and 120 nanometers in diameter. The Wuhan Coronavirus is 120 nanometers) . . .

And the Czechs claim that they're succeeding while many other countries have failed because of a widespead use of home-made masks . . . "

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2020-...ans-wear-masks

Don't have a stockpile of hydroxychloroquine in your medicine cabinet? Better start wearing a mask . . .

therealnickb 03-29-2020 10:50 AM

Ridiculous.

PaperTarget 03-29-2020 10:50 AM

about time. no more NAKED MOUTH's spraying sputum!

KatMan53 03-29-2020 10:50 AM

First of all, there has to be enough masks for "all Americans" to acquire...

NorcalGSG 03-29-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperTarget (Post 24056040)
about time. no more NAKED MOUTH's spraying sputum!

Exactly. Especially from the "I feel fine so I can't be contagious" croud:rolleyes:

PaperTarget 03-29-2020 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatMan53 (Post 24056041)
First of all, there has to be enough masks for "all Americans" to acquire...

Droplet control masks can be home-made.

PaperTarget 03-29-2020 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50 yarder (Post 24056109)
Total ZeroHedge bullshiff. Might as hell have posted from RT or MSNBC.

agree. would like to see such recommendation from less biased sources.

swilson 03-29-2020 11:10 AM

Does that include non-American foreign nationals?

Marthor 03-29-2020 11:14 AM

I think everyone on a subway or airplane should be required to wear a mask. I'm OK with that for a while.

People in cities should probably wear masks because if you have to pass closely to a lot of people on the sidewalk and elevators.

The other more than half of America where you ride in your own car. Ridiculous to have a mask mandate.

Mayor McRifle 03-29-2020 11:27 AM


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN3BWaEH3tY

M&P40FAN 03-29-2020 11:27 AM

Will this apply to dems and the media? If so, I'm good with it.

wpage 03-29-2020 11:35 AM

Some libs look best behind a mask...

OCEquestrian 03-29-2020 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatMan53 (Post 24056041)
First of all, there has to be enough masks for "all Americans" to acquire...

Right to the heart of the matter. they wont recommend that until there are enough masks to implement the change.

The War Wagon 03-29-2020 12:12 PM

I'm on it... :rolleyes:


https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ph3OsjcGE...526-Silver.jpg

HKMadness 03-29-2020 12:14 PM

My buddy, Sanjay told me his factory in india is working round the clock to fight coronavirus, making masks.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=k8xnp_1585323431

Fighting the good fight!

jarhead714 03-29-2020 12:14 PM

^Pretty dang awesome. The Lone Ranger and Silver.

CiaoKing 03-29-2020 12:16 PM

CDC To Recommend ALL Americans Wear Masks?
 
Iím NOT thrilled with the idea about govít mandating it; but Iím all for practicing the use of masks while traveling, within a crowded area.

Custom masks arenít that difficult to make.

https://youtu.be/VcQ69_ANsRA


Maybe we should take a page from S. Koreaís playbook in dealing with this mess:

https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steelplate45 03-29-2020 12:19 PM

Which one is which?

theLBC 03-29-2020 12:23 PM

stop folks from touching their faces and putting virus in their lungs

jarhead714 03-29-2020 12:24 PM

That’s a lot of hats you got listed Steelplate45, sir.:thumbsup::gnorsi:

August 03-29-2020 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelplate45 (Post 24056432)
Which one is which?

This one

Plead the Second 03-29-2020 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=CiaoKing;24056416]I’m NOT thrilled with the idea about gov’t mandating it; but I’m all for practicing the use of masks while traveling, within a crowded area.

Custom masks aren’t that difficult to make.

https://youtu.be/VcQ69_ANsRA


Maybe we should take a page from S. Korea’s playbook in dealing with this mess:

https://youtu.be/gAk7aX5hksU. ]

Thank you, I was just going to post this.
This is a VERY IMPORTANT you tube video interview from a S. Korea infectious disease chief. Apolitical, objective, and realistic — and he recommends masks ( properly used, and clean).

Our governments have not been recommending using masks because so far we have not had enough of them, rather than because we have evidence showing they do not help, though they were hesitant to admit that because it would have caused even more of a run on masks. They wanted to save them for health care workers, (there is indeed a reason they are recommended there — sometimes walls do work!) and discourage hoarding.

Masks are likely especially important if the 6 foot social zone is not big enough and a much bigger distance may be needed to avoid aerosolized virus from getting to your mouth and nose if people sneeze or cough:


https://qwiket.com/context/channel/q...s-not-enough-0

bagman 03-29-2020 12:45 PM

So you're saying they've decided to stop lying to us and state masks should be worn. Got it.

as_rocketman 03-29-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The War Wagon (Post 24056397)
I'm on it... :rolleyes:


:clown: Who was that masked man?

Nice.

stonefly-2 03-29-2020 1:36 PM

Standing by to pat myself on the back for being right all along.

T6pilot 03-29-2020 3:30 PM

Try wearing that mask at the local Stop-in-robs

holdencaulfield 03-29-2020 4:33 PM

The moment WHO and CDC can provide the supply of PPE for all HCW and essential businesses, they’ll make it a public requirement. I expect this will be announced this week.

timberwoofers 03-29-2020 7:13 PM

Peak Prosperity video for today, talks about masks and other important myths on the virus.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2w9M6K9vSUM

L84CABO 03-29-2020 9:03 PM

Note that it is illegal in California to conceal carry while wearing a mask. Just sayin. :rolleyes:

MrFancyPants 03-29-2020 10:18 PM

No.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

DentonandSasquatchShow 03-29-2020 10:58 PM

I call BS on this story or, at least, the source. So many variables here it's not even funny.

Everyone would have to have, at least, the N95 masks. I see so many fools wearing home sewn masks, bandanas or the cheap paper kind. The virus particles are so small they easily drift through those masks. These idiots think they are safe.

Not to mention the N95 masks (or any other for that matter) will not seal on a face with a beard. Are they going to tell all the beard people they have to shave?

And as said by another post, we don't have enough masks for the entire population of the US. They are having a hard enough time finding them for doctors and nurses in hospitals it the news stories are to be believed.

PaperTarget 03-29-2020 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DentonandSasquatchShow (Post 24059037)
I call BS on this story or, at least, the source. So many variables here it's not even funny.

Everyone would have to have, at least, the N95 masks. I see so many fools wearing home sewn masks, bandanas or the cheap paper kind. The virus particles are so small they easily drift through those masks. These idiots think they are safe.

Not to mention the N95 masks (or any other for that matter) will not seal on a face with a beard. Are they going to tell all the beard people they have to shave?

And as said by another post, we don't have enough masks for the entire population of the US. They are having a hard enough time finding them for doctors and nurses in hospitals it the news stories are to be believed.

I disagree. A N95 mask filters to protect the wearer. A DROPLET CONTROL mask will REDUCE the amount of droplets a person spews into the air.

If you were in a room or passing by someone who might be infected, would you want to reduce the amount of droplets they produce. Because that reduction would reduce your chances of getting it.

NATO762 03-30-2020 5:19 AM

The virus needs to hitch a ride on droplets to get out of someone's lungs. Only after that droplet lands, and subsequently evaporates do you get "virus on a surface". Yes, after that you can spread it around by touching. Simple paper masks will block the droplets, which seems to be the primary vector. A bandana (or underwear as someone else recommend) would way better than nadda. You can always wash your hands. Much harder to wash your lungs...

boris badinov 03-30-2020 6:30 AM

The reason they've been telling people not to wear masks from the beginning is that they feared mask hoarding would only worsen the shortage of masks and further endanger healthcare workers on the front lines.

boris badinov 03-30-2020 6:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NATO762 (Post 24059324)
The virus needs to hitch a ride on droplets to get out of someone's lungs. Only after that droplet lands, and subsequently evaporates do you get "virus on a surface". Yes, after that you can spread it around by touching. Simple paper masks will block the droplets, which seems to be the primary vector. A bandana (or underwear as someone else recommend) would way better than nadda. You can always wash your hands. Much harder to wash your lungs...

Airborne, aerosolized spread, though not as common as droplet transmission is also a means of infection.

stonefly-2 03-30-2020 6:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boris badinov (Post 24059459)
The reason they've been telling people not to wear masks from the beginning is that the stock of PPE was sold off during the obigears administration endangering healthcare workers on the front lines.

(now that an emergency has arisen)

When there are plenty to go around the recommendation will be to wear one and the equivocation will be that it is to prevent exfiltration moreso than infiltration.

The particle size of this virus itself is much smaller than particle size the N95 mask is rated for.

The particle size of the droplet the virus is usually contained in is not.

If once we know for sure whether or not or to what degree this virus is found aerosolized (without a droplet) it stands to reason that the electrostaic nature of how this mask works will yield less than %95 filtration but that nature is to "attract" particles rather than filter them in the same way a fish net nets fish.

el chivo 03-30-2020 8:52 AM

bandanas would work to keep you from touching your face

seainc 03-30-2020 8:59 AM

See CDC response.... https://mobile.twitter.com/cdcgov/st...47313715961857


https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...ef37245871.jpg

CiaoKing 03-30-2020 9:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seainc (Post 24060125)


ĎTil then, societyís heroes (healthcare personnel), will hold the line:


https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=urYNy_1585190840


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wherryj 03-30-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperTarget (Post 24056114)
Droplet control masks can be home-made.

Those double layer Nomex racing head socks might come in useful in a pinch, especially if worn with the helmet and a closed face shield! I wonder if I would get any strange looks in the office while suited up like "the Stig"?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.