Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Hunting and Fishing (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Hunting for the first time (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1566091)

afteractionreport 10-20-2019 5:50 AM

Hunting for the first time

I've never hunted. I want to and I also want to experience "skinning" an animal.

Its kind of a last minute idea since I have a four day weekend coming up soon.

I have no idea what to expect but am willing to travel.

Wife is forking over the cash so I'm left with the planning---if it actually happens...

Deer, hog, Turkey comes to mind but open to anything that's palatable and in season.

Since it's my first time I would probably need a guide and all the details needed to hunt legally...

I have an AR in 556/223 with scope and a M500 in 12gauge but short barrel. Willing to buy a 28 inch barrel...

Any ideas for me?

I'm in the Long Beach area so any info on nearby businesses that offer the safety course?

Thanks

afteractionreport 10-20-2019 5:51 AM

Another question if my wife is with me but doesn't hunt does she need a license too?

tigerpan 10-20-2019 7:44 AM

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunter-E...ollow-up-class

JackEllis 10-20-2019 7:55 AM

My guess is all of the outfitters are booked. Deer season is just about over in California and in any event, you should be using something with more punch than a .223 for four-legged game (.243, .308, .270, 6.5 Creedmoor among others) unless you're good enough to spine the animal.

There's always coyotes, which require a license but no tag.

therealnickb 10-20-2019 8:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afteractionreport (Post 23525190)
Another question if my wife is with me but doesn't hunt does she need a license too?

Donít have her hold your gun and she wonít need a license.

Mesa Defense 10-20-2019 8:03 AM

Do you have a hunting license or will you need to take the 8 hour course?

Once you get your license, get some pig tags and find an outfitter. Pigs are gtg all year round. Good Luck!

afteractionreport 10-20-2019 8:08 AM

Yeah looking up hunting license course. I'm in Long Beach if anyone knows an outfit who offers classes near me let me know.

Closest I found was at Angeles's shooting range in the middle of nov

ACfixer 10-20-2019 8:41 AM

You only have to take the course once for life, and it's good info. Bass Pro probably has a class coming up.

If you get your license and then get a tag and just start wandering around in the sticks with a gun during your season you'll probably get skunked. You'll get all kind of opinions OP, but generally to get your feet wet I suggest a pig hunt somewhere. They range from "canned" to completely wild so do some research and see what you are up for.

We put in for out of state tags, my time is limited and out of state offers better prospects IMO. A little more money and travel time for sure, but again... time being limited I want to improve my chances. We're leaving for Arizona Thursday. :)

357manny 10-20-2019 8:46 AM

Good luck bro!
Me and a buddy of mine have been talking about doing this for 4 years. We both finally just got our hunting licenses. Now, trying to figure out where to go/what to do, and what needs to be done about it (cost, rifle/shotgun, etc).

therealnickb 10-20-2019 8:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afteractionreport (Post 23525507)
Yeah looking up hunting license course. I'm in Long Beach if anyone knows an outfit who offers classes near me let me know.

Closest I found was at Angeles's shooting range in the middle of nov

https://www.hunter-ed.com/california/

https://register-ed.com/programs/california/161

Casual_Shooter 10-20-2019 9:02 AM

Bigboarstopper lists guided hunts in his signature. He's in central California.

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/member.php?u=27394

Jeepergeo 10-20-2019 10:18 AM

Do you already have a license? If not, you will need to show proof of having passed a hunter safety class or having held a prior hunting license....there may be other options to fulfill this requirement, so let Google be your friend.

If your hunting partner will carry a firearm, they should have a license and tag too.

The guides I have used will not agree to guide you hunting Boar with the .223/.556...the will want something more substantial such as .308, 30-06, .270, etc. You might find some guides that don't care, but you should.

[Pause here to allow those with stories of taking a 250# Boar at 150 yards with a 22 LR to chime in with their fairy tales].

Going with a guide is a good idea. With the right guide, you will learn a lot and can go with minimal gear.

You should have a suitable sighted in rifle, lead free ammo, binoculars, and large ice chest at a minimum. A good skinning knife and sharpening stone will be good to have, though you might want to buy those for your second trip since you will be surprised at the skinning and breakdown gear your guide uses and will want to maybe buy the same.

MJB 10-20-2019 10:22 AM

Start with upland this year and plan now for next season.....or get a tag and just go, talk to other hunters that you run into and soon you'll find someone to help you.

You do need a new rifle & shot gun or just get a longer barrel for the shoty.

You'll also need good boots, knife, binoculars, 4x4 & a backpack......that's the basic from there it can be a money pit to gear up.

Why not do the HS with the wife at Bass pro.....they give you a $35BP card, then you both can enjoy hunting, like dove or quail hunting.

edgerly779 10-20-2019 10:25 AM

In texas you can get a 1 year waiver for small fee if you do not have hunter safety. Lots of hunts available look up texas lease hunter for references. Most states you need hunter safety or have to be born before certain date.

afteractionreport 10-20-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJB (Post 23525977)
Start with upland this year and plan now for next season.....or get a tag and just go, talk to other hunters that you run into and soon you'll find someone to help you.

You do need a new rifle & shot gun or just get a longer barrel for the shoty.

You'll also need good boots, knife, binoculars, 4x4 & a backpack......that's the basic from there it can be a money pit to gear up.

Why not do the HS with the wife at Bass pro.....they give you a $35BP card, then you both can enjoy hunting, like dove or quail hunting.

Thanks for the lead...I'll check out BPS

afteractionreport 10-20-2019 10:38 AM

So with all the feedback here and OT where x posted this looks like bird hunting will be fine for first time with my current guns..

I just looked up m500 28inch barrels and they're cheap around 100 bucks on ebay.

The wife said she'll take the course too since jic she wants to hunt too...

Thanks guys...now going to follow all those links...I'll post my progress

edgerly779 10-20-2019 10:47 AM

^^^ Now you are starting off on the right foot. Welcome to hunting and enjoy.

357manny 10-20-2019 11:03 AM

CDFW has special "Apprentice Hunts", available/put on for newer hunters. I just heard about it from my own course instructors, then checked it out.
Basically, a way for newer hunters to get in on the action...? There are some down your way, LA county, Riverside, etc.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/ApprenticeHunts/Default.aspx

Go here:
https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/ApprenticeHun...lectHunts.aspx
Select Apprentice Hunts, Pheasant, Family Apprentice or Women's Apprentice (not sure which one you'd qualify for), then the number of hunters. Then see what's available in your area, works with your schedule.

tmuller 10-20-2019 7:26 PM

Good on you man!! I think killin birds is the best and wish you a ton of fun...big respect to new urban hunters and wish you and the wife a ton of success and fun times.

afteractionreport 10-20-2019 7:51 PM

Will update as I follow all the links...

Actually surprised on how "easy" it might be to make this wish come true

NapalmCheese 10-20-2019 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afteractionreport (Post 23525187)
I've never hunted. I want to and I also want to experience "skinning" an animal.

I have an AR in 556/223 with scope and a M500 in 12gauge but short barrel. Willing to buy a 28 inch barrel...

To give you a hard time...

You say your interested in experiencing "skinning". Why the quotes? I mean, you have to actually skin things before you eat them (for the most part).

If you're willing to buy a 28 inch barrel for your AR you might be on to something. Life will be easier, and the number of angles from which you can shoot will be increased if you move up to something bigger.

50 yarder 10-20-2019 10:29 PM

AAR, what about next year's birthday?
Suggestion: w/o cancelling anything this year, start thinking a year ahead. What animals would you be interested in hunting?
Where would you be willing to go?
Who might you do this with?
Develop a few options.
Off-season recon trips to local areas can be a lot of fun. Where can you have a whack at deer, pigs, coyote or SQUIRRELS w/o a guide and w/o leaving the state? (Yes, it's slim pickings.)
What gun/cartridge will you need?
Want to stay w/ your current rig? You're looking at small game, small non-game and varmints. Mind you, in CA it'll be unleaded ammo: what ammo/hand loads and how will your gun group them? Some testing is in order. Maybe need a new (longer/heavier) upper?
Go out and have fun this year, and springboard off of that with some reading, talking, planing and budgeting for next year. The planning and equipment development is half the fun.

afteractionreport 10-21-2019 4:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NapalmCheese (Post 23527529)
To give you a hard time...

You say your interested in experiencing "skinning". Why the quotes? I mean, you have to actually skin things before you eat them (for the most part).

If you're willing to buy a 28 inch barrel for your AR you might be on to something. Life will be easier, and the number of angles from which you can shoot will be increased if you move up to something bigger.

28 inch for the 12 gauge. Probably will need a 308 but that's not possible right now so I'll stick to animals I can use the 12g.

Which means birds

afteractionreport 10-21-2019 4:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50 yarder (Post 23527730)
AAR, what about next year's birthday?
Suggestion: w/o cancelling anything this year, start thinking a year ahead. What animals would you be interested in hunting?
Where would you be willing to go?
Who might you do this with?
Develop a few options.
Off-season recon trips to local areas can be a lot of fun. Where can you have a whack at deer, pigs, coyote or SQUIRRELS w/o a guide and w/o leaving the state? (Yes, it's slim pickings.)
What gun/cartridge will you need?
Want to stay w/ your current rig? You're looking at small game, small non-game and varmints. Mind you, in CA it'll be unleaded ammo: what ammo/hand loads and how will your gun group them? Some testing is in order. Maybe need a new (longer/heavier) upper?
Go out and have fun this year, and springboard off of that with some reading, talking, planing and budgeting for next year. The planning and equipment development is half the fun.

Yeah, if this trip goes well I'll be planning next year too

FishnHunt 10-21-2019 4:46 AM

Just posted this for another new hunter post but every new hunter is special and other threads don’t apply.
Skinning is easy. Gutting sucks.
Anyways Try this https://youtu.be/dJHb6WoOFvc

edgerly779 10-21-2019 5:18 AM

High fence hunt here in ca is an option like I posted in OT. BHCR exotics and hogs no license required. Same with Bitterwater outfiitters good way to get feet wet. from $500- 4,000$ take your pic. Get a decent bolt gun in .270/ 30/06 / .308 . Get that 28" barrel for your Mossberg and not a 28" for AR like napalm said. (LOL)

afteractionreport 10-21-2019 7:45 AM

Bitter water is one of the ones I'm looking into

RIFLERACK31 10-21-2019 7:53 AM

You can give turkey a shot, no tag needed just the bird validation. Plenty of meat on them suckers. I'll just say the sacramento area foothills on both sides of town can be very good places. Season starts i think november 9th threw the first week of december.

edgerly779 10-21-2019 7:54 AM

Clayton offers a much better hunt than BHCR more area better hunting country.
More money but quality experience.

357manny 10-21-2019 8:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgerly779 (Post 23528204)
Clayton offers a much better hunt than BHCR more area better hunting country.
More money but quality experience.

Is Clayton a person (Clayton Grant?) or the city? Do you have a link/contact info? nevermind--I just realized/found out that Clayton is from Bitter Water Outfitters, the one you've mentioned. Thanks bud

edgerly779 10-21-2019 11:07 AM

No problem he took my friends boy who is quadriplegic in wheelcahair on a turkey hut and put him on nice Tom. Good guy.. Good guy.

Aeonstar 10-21-2019 5:10 PM

Is she hot, we could work out something

HighWildFree 10-21-2019 5:28 PM

Here’s my opinion for a great shot at some action. Go hit the trap and skeet range with your wife every weekend for the next two months. Sign up for your hunter safety classes. Book a guided waterfowl hunt for January.

Huntsprig 10-21-2019 8:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgerly779 (Post 23525988)
Most states you need hunter safety or have to be born before certain date.

http://giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/me...WmpG/giphy.gif

therealnickb 10-21-2019 9:34 PM

You know OP. You and your wife could fly to South Dakota. Rent a car and road hunt pheasant. No hunter Ed required. Three day or 10 day licenses over the counter. Just bring your ID and shotguns.

The season goes through Dec I think. But I’d go soon if you can.

50 yarder 10-21-2019 9:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighWildFree (Post 23530144)
Hereís my opinion for a great shot at some action. Go hit the trap and skeet range with your wife every weekend for the next two months.

What kind of action are we talking about here?

Buckshot51 10-22-2019 1:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afteractionreport (Post 23525187)

Its kind of a last minute idea since I have a four day weekend coming up soon.

I have no idea what to expect but am willing to travel.

Wife is forking over the cash so I'm left with the planning---if it actually happens...

Deer, hog, Turkey comes to mind but open to anything that's palatable and in season.

Since it's my first time I would probably need a guide and all the details needed to hunt legally...

Any ideas for me?

I'm in the Long Beach area so any info on nearby businesses that offer the safety course?

Thanks

If you already have a AR in 556 just get another upper . There are several different options for the AR15 platform that can take down everything from varmints to Moose . It all depends what your upper is chambered in . Youíll probably need a specific bolt and magazines in addition to barreled upper .
6.5 Grendel , 6.8 SPC , 350 Legend , 458 Socom . 50 Beowulf just to name a few .... some of those might be overkill for what your intended game is but you have options ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edgerly779 10-22-2019 3:26 AM

I have a 6.8 spc upper as well as 300 aac. I use the 6.8 for hogs down in El paso. Also have AR 10 in .308 . For Elk in 2 weeks will be using 30/06 or .300 win mag. i

afteractionreport 10-22-2019 4:50 AM

I didn't know 6.8spc or even 300ac would be adequate for hogs and deer...

CVShooter 10-22-2019 3:37 PM

If you just want to skin something, go to a flea market & pick up a live chicken or rabbit.

FYI, a lot of hunters expect the guides to do all the work. So a lot of guides jump in and do nearly everything except wipe your 4$$ for the day -- something that irritates me to no end. If you go the guided route, check to see who does the processing from shot to table. Semi-guided is a little more relaxed. More like private access to land than a stodgy rich-man's trophy hunt.