Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   General gun discussions (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Anyone ever restore or preserve old gun boxes (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1527578)

Romeo_alpha01 04-20-2019 7:21 PM

Anyone ever restore or preserve old gun boxes
 
Iíve got a few vintage gun cases that are hard to come by. Iíd like to restore them.

First one is a old beretta negrini case with exterior surface scratches on it. The other is a vintage Walther paper box with wear on the edges.

Any idea how to go about polishing these oldies a bit? Iím not opposed to even recreating the paper box with real wood.

anonymouscuban 04-20-2019 7:26 PM

I have no advice but would love to see them. Can you post some pics?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Romeo_alpha01 04-20-2019 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouscuban (Post 22921492)
I have no advice but would love to see them. Can you post some pics?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I can snap photos when I get home from work and update the post with attachments.

SDDAVE56 04-21-2019 6:55 AM

Someone who restores art, or books maybe?

Svashtar 04-21-2019 7:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romeo_alpha01 (Post 22921479)
Iíve got a few vintage gun cases that are hard to come by. Iíd like to restore them.



First one is a old beretta negrini case with exterior surface scratches on it. The other is a vintage Walther paper box with wear on the edges.



Any idea how to go about polishing these oldies a bit? Iím not opposed to even recreating the paper box with real wood.


If the old cases are wood I can give some tips, but if theyíre paper no. (Iím unclear of the composition of the Beretta case. If itís wood, does it have a logo or artwork on it? And if so, how is it applied? Is the wood colored or stained?)

I have several old Ruger cardboard boxes for Old Model SA revolvers, and some S&W revolver boxes from the Ď50ís, and thereís not much you can do if the cardboard or paper coverings are damaged or degraded.

Romeo_alpha01 04-22-2019 6:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svashtar (Post 22922572)
If the old cases are wood I can give some tips, but if they’re paper no. (I’m unclear of the composition of the Beretta case. If it’s wood, does it have a logo or artwork on it? And if so, how is it applied? Is the wood colored or stained?)

I have several old Ruger cardboard boxes for Old Model SA revolvers, and some S&W revolver boxes from the ‘50’s, and there’s not much you can do if the cardboard or paper coverings are damaged or degraded.

The original Walther P88 box is primarily cardboard. The factory gave the box a faux wood grain appearance. I'm not opposed to recreating this box using wood, just not sure what type of wood Walther was trying to recreate. I think it would be a fun project.

http://carlwalther.com/images/a_p88_carton.jpg

The Beretta 92 case looks like this. It houses my target kit (7.25" barrel and wood grips. My case is exactly the same, just has more scratches from being in and out of the safe. The Beretta logo looks either heat transferred or something, but I can't tell. The material is plastic.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content...barrel_640.jpg

Svashtar 04-24-2019 9:40 AM

A beautiful pistol!

For the wood, there are a dozen you could use and match the finish well using stain. Believe it or not, a flooring supply store could probably match it with planks, and then you wouldnít have to mess with a thickness planer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Romeo_alpha01 04-26-2019 6:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svashtar (Post 22933224)
A beautiful pistol!

For the wood, there are a dozen you could use and match the finish well using stain. Believe it or not, a flooring supply store could probably match it with planks, and then you wouldnít have to mess with a thickness planer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know thatís not a bad idea! Going to a flooring store this weekend and see what i can come up with!

Romeo_alpha01 05-18-2019 7:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svashtar (Post 22933224)
A beautiful pistol!

For the wood, there are a dozen you could use and match the finish well using stain. Believe it or not, a flooring supply store could probably match it with planks, and then you wouldn’t have to mess with a thickness planer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the flooring store right now. I may have to resort to thinner and wider wood planks. Those who are familiar with types of wood? What wood closely resembles this Walther box? Cherry wood? Oak maybe? Can’t tell, im no expert. I’m also considering wood veneer and maybe silver foil for the lettering. Thanks!

Fishslayer 05-18-2019 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romeo_alpha01 (Post 22921479)
Iíve got a few vintage gun cases that are hard to come by. Iíd like to restore them.

First one is a old beretta negrini case with exterior surface scratches on it. The other is a vintage Walther paper box with wear on the edges.

Any idea how to go about polishing these oldies a bit? Iím not opposed to even recreating the paper box with real wood.

There's a guy on S&W Forum who restores the presentation boxes. He might have some tips.

Just me, but the exterior having a bit of "character" wouldn't bother me a bit if the interior was still good.

Any sort of flocking on the interior can be bad juju on blued guns. My blued guns live in silicon treated socks.

still919 05-18-2019 8:21 PM

I would strongly recommend leaving them as is. Reproduce?...that sounds like a fun project. But, restore?....ehh...I think the value is in the original as is condition, regardless of the present condition.

That's just how I look at it as a buyer. And, the original boxes/cases are significant to me.

Romeo_alpha01 05-19-2019 2:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishslayer (Post 23016506)
There's a guy on S&W Forum who restores the presentation boxes. He might have some tips.

Just me, but the exterior having a bit of "character" wouldn't bother me a bit if the interior was still good.

Any sort of flocking on the interior can be bad juju on blued guns. My blued guns live in silicon treated socks.

I’ll have to look there. Thanks for the heads up!

The exterior on the Walther box is naturally there from old age, but the partition inside the box is torn in three pieces (I’m guessing from the weight of the pistol bouncing against it during handling). The beretta case is perfect inside, but definitely could use some love on the outside as it seems someone just slid the case around with aggression. I wondered if there was a way to buff the scratches out, maybe even protect the finish a bit.

Each case I have has a bunch of silicone desiccant that I rejuvenate and rotate every other week, along with a regular lubing at least every other month if it’s not being shot.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 2:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.