Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Concealed Carry Discussion (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   New Placer County restrictions (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=813935)

IrishPirate 08-26-2013 12:38 PM

New Placer County restrictions

Just renewed my CCW and once the new license came in the mail I noticed that Placer has printed some new restrictions on the back of it.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j2...ps765ad5a9.jpg

I don't really have an issue with any of these things, I think they are pretty much all common sense....except the third one. It seems slightly vague to me. Any "place" having the primary purpose of selling alcohol??? so I can't go grab a gatorade from a a liquor store if I'm carrying??? I know it was meant to mean Bars, Clubs, etc, but I think this is one of those things that could backfire and bite someone in the azz.

On the front of the license, under my listed weapons, it says "Restrictions (if any): INVALID IF LICENSEE HAS BEEN CONSUMING ALCOHOL OR DRUGS" and that's it....no "continued on back"...."see back for more"...."additional on reverse"....nothing of that nature. I'm obviously not a lawyer, so I don't know how cut and dry these things have to be, but I know that if it isn't printed as a restriction on your license, it isn't a restriction. Is this one of those loophole things that PCSO thought they were closing the gap between the license and the application, but really they aren't...or maybe they are???.....

I'm perfectly happy complying with the restrictions (though I would like a little bit of clarification on whether or not I can buy a non-alcoholic drink at a liquor store, or carry while I'm the sober driver for my wife and her friends on a wine tasting outing and be able to go into the tasting room) but I figured I'd open this up for a little discussion to see what the legal eagles think is going on here and maybe give them a heads up in case something does need to be changed.

Discuss while I get my flame suit on for those gunners with reading comprehension problems who are sure to think i'm questioning my ability to get drunk or go to a bar while carrying....:cool:

zonzin 08-26-2013 12:43 PM

What about "... prohibited by law or sign"? Does that mean if any establishment has a no guns sign it now has the force of law? Or does it mean places such as Federal Buildings, USPO's, etc?

taperxz 08-26-2013 1:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishPirate (Post 12161893)
Just renewed my CCW and once the new license came in the mail I noticed that Placer has printed some new restrictions on the back of it.

I don't really have an issue with any of these things, I think they are pretty much all common sense....except the third one. It seems slightly vague to me. Any "place" having the primary purpose of selling alcohol??? so I can't go grab a gatorade from a a liquor store if I'm carrying??? I know it was meant to mean Bars, Clubs, etc, but I think this is one of those things that could backfire and bite someone in the azz.

On the front of the license, under my listed weapons, it says "Restrictions (if any): INVALID IF LICENSEE HAS BEEN CONSUMING ALCOHOL OR DRUGS" and that's it....no "continued on back"...."see back for more"...."additional on reverse"....nothing of that nature. I'm obviously not a lawyer, so I don't know how cut and dry these things have to be, but I know that if it isn't printed as a restriction on your license, it isn't a restriction. Is this one of those loophole things that PCSO thought they were closing the gap between the license and the application, but really they aren't...or maybe they are???.....

I'm perfectly happy complying with the restrictions (though I would like a little bit of clarification on whether or not I can buy a non-alcoholic drink at a liquor store, or carry while I'm the sober driver for my wife and her friends on a wine tasting outing and be able to go into the tasting room) but I figured I'd open this up for a little discussion to see what the legal eagles think is going on here and maybe give them a heads up in case something does need to be changed.

Discuss while I get my flame suit on for those gunners with reading comprehension problems who are sure to think i'm questioning my ability to get drunk or go to a bar while carrying....:cool:

I think they are talking about (as you noted) places they sell alcohol to be consumed on the premises. For instance a bar would be a prohibited place for you while a restaurant with a bar in it would not be a prohibited place for you to carry. The primary function of the restaurant would be for consumption of food. The bars primary goal is to serve alcoholic beverages.

As far as the sign prohibiting weapons, concealed is concealed and sometimes when carrying i forget its on me. I'm sure i have walked passed a sign but didn't see it. I went to a movie once and saw the sign on the way out. OOPS! Oh well. In order for you to be in violation, you would have to have seen the sign, shown or displayed your weapon, been asked to leave and you refuse to. Just an FYI

CitaDeL 08-26-2013 6:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishPirate (Post 12161893)

Quote:

26200. (a) A license issued pursuant to this article may include
any reasonable restrictions or conditions that the issuing authority
deems warranted, including restrictions as to the time, place,
manner, and circumstances under which the licensee may carry a
pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon
the person.
(b) Any restrictions imposed pursuant to subdivision (a) shall be
indicated on any license issued

Note my emphasis on (b) - What do you think about restrictions that are not indicated on any license issued? That's right... no restriction at all.

The Sheriff rightly concluded that the licenses he issues must indicate what restrictions apply to the license- else no other law enforcement agency would know that any restrictions might apply.

For those who mistakenly believed that the Placer County Sheriff was 'shall issue', this should be your moment of epiphany. The addition of constraints to the time, place and manner illustrate the flexion of the Sheriff's considerable and arbitrary discretion.

Given the imprinted restrictions;
  • You may not enter a Liquor Store. BevMo is out.
  • You may not enter a bar.
  • You may not enter any commercial establishment or residence that displays a sign prohibiting weapons.
  • You may not carry your firearm if you have taken an antihistamine, aspirin, cough syrup, or any OTC pain relievers, acid reflux medicine, or anti-cramping medicine. Drugs are bad kids. Don't do drugs.
  • You must tell every police officer that you are a carry licensee whether or not you have your carry firearm on or with you. Now that makes the DUI checkpoint or traffic infraction so much more interesting, don't you think?

These constraints are utter idiocy. In some circumstances it would be better to LUCC and be able to keep your business to yourself.

epilepticninja 08-26-2013 6:29 PM

That last one gets me. Why do I need to disclose I'm a CCW holder if I'm not carrying a concealed weapon? wtf? At least Sac Co. has you only notify if you are carrying. Cops don't give a **** about ppl with CCW licenses if they aren't in possession.

Motorola 08-26-2013 6:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epilepticninja (Post 12164701)
That last one gets me. Why do I need to disclose I'm a CCW holder if I'm not carrying a concealed weapon? wtf? At least Sac Co. has you only notify if you are carrying. Cops don't give a **** about ppl with CCW licenses if they aren't in possession.

I think the purpose is so that if you do something questionable, even when not armed, you give the leo the option to contact your issuing agency to let them know what you were doing even with no arrest, papertrail, etc.

It's really just another way for them to obtain information, and potentially revoke your permit.

Lagduf 08-26-2013 7:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CitaDeL (Post 12164672)
For those who mistakenly believed that the Placer County Sheriff was 'shall issue', this should be your moment of epiphany. The addition of constraints to the time, place and manner illustrate the flexion of the Sheriff's considerable and arbitrary discretion.

I'm sorry to hear there were those who thought this was the case.

To the best of my knowledge Placer has never issued for "self defense" which is the ultimate test of shall issue. Some years ago it used to say on the Placer Sheriff website that "Self Defense" was expressly not a good cause.

IrishPirate 08-26-2013 8:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taperxz (Post 12162138)
I think they are talking about (as you noted) places they sell alcohol to be consumed on the premises. For instance a bar would be a prohibited place for you while a restaurant with a bar in it would not be a prohibited place for you to carry. The primary function of the restaurant would be for consumption of food. The bars primary goal is to serve alcoholic beverages.

As far as the sign prohibiting weapons, concealed is concealed and sometimes when carrying i forget its on me. I'm sure i have walked passed a sign but didn't see it. I went to a movie once and saw the sign on the way out. OOPS! Oh well. In order for you to be in violation, you would have to have seen the sign, shown or displayed your weapon, been asked to leave and you refuse to. Just an FYI

If the verbage said "any place that primarily serves alcohol" then it would be clear. But since it says "sells" alcohol, then BevMo, Total Wine, any and all Liquor Stores, Vineyards, or Breweries are all off limits. I don't see why these places should be off limits since you can't consume alcohol in them (except vinyards and breweries).

Also, just saying "i didn't see the sign" isn't a justifiable reason for...well anything. If the sign is posted, it's posted and that's all that has to happen for you to be breaking a law, or be in violation of a restriction on a license.

Quote:

Note my emphasis on (b) - What do you think about restrictions that are not indicated on any license issued? That's right... no restriction at all.

The Sheriff rightly concluded that the licenses he issues must indicate what restrictions apply to the license- else no other law enforcement agency would know that any restrictions might apply.

Given the imprinted restrictions;
  • You may not enter a Liquor Store. BevMo is out.
  • You may not enter a bar.
  • You may not enter any commercial establishment or residence that displays a sign prohibiting weapons.
  • You may not carry your firearm if you have taken an antihistamine, aspirin, cough syrup, or any OTC pain relievers, acid reflux medicine, or anti-cramping medicine. Drugs are bad kids. Don't do drugs.
  • You must tell every police officer that you are a carry licensee whether or not you have your carry firearm on or with you. Now that makes the DUI checkpoint or traffic infraction so much more interesting, don't you think?

These constraints are utter idiocy. In some circumstances it would be better to LUCC and be able to keep your business to yourself.

I guess I didn't realize the full extent of how crazy it really is. Now it really does sound more intrusive and absurd!

Is there anything on the legal side that can be done to get PCSO to clarify or remove some of these restrictions? (small fish compared to what CGN has on it's plate, I know....)

taperxz 08-27-2013 7:38 AM

If you guys are so inclined to think to much into these restrictions, thats your problem. I would call the dept. and have them clarify their position. I find it hard to believe that it would be against policy to walk into a liquor store to buy a pack of gum, can of chew, or even beer that will be consumed later as being a violation. YOU SHOULD BRING THIS TO THEIR ATTENTION. If all else fails then complain. It was probably an oversight.

Our Sheriff has one restriction. our CCW is void if we are impaired by alcohol, illegal drugs or impaired by prescription drugs. ( pain killers/drugs that alter your state of mind) They made this clear for us. Non mind altering drugs (drugs that don't make you high) are not a problem.

CitaDeL 08-27-2013 8:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taperxz (Post 12167960)
If you guys are so inclined to think to much into these restrictions, thats your problem. I would call the dept. and have them clarify their position. I find it hard to believe that it would be against policy to walk into a liquor store to buy a pack of gum, can of chew, or even beer that will be consumed later as being a violation. YOU SHOULD BRING THIS TO THEIR ATTENTION. If all else fails then complain. It was probably an oversight.

Actually, you have it backwards. If anyone has a problem with the issuing agencies idiotic restrictions, that is the issuing agencies problem, since they created it.
You are correct that constituents should complain, because not only do the restrictions fall into the 'unreasonable' category (yes, there is a 'reasonableness' test to restrictions- 26200(b)), but many problems with the Placer County proceedures are unnecessarily burdensome and even unlawful.
If you are inclined to contact the S/O about anything regarding their carry license policy, you should not phone them. Write a brief letter addressing your concerns and request that they respond by mail. This way you have a paper trail if the need to pursue it as a legal matter arises. If their written response seems 'hinky' you can always pass it on to the CGF or someone knowledgable on LTC law.

taperxz 08-27-2013 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CitaDeL (Post 12168465)
Actually, you have it backwards. If anyone has a problem with the issuing agencies idiotic restrictions, that is the issuing agencies problem, since they created it.
You are correct that constituents should complain, because not only do the restrictions fall into the 'unreasonable' category (yes, there is a 'reasonableness' test to restrictions- 26200(b)), but many problems with the Placer County proceedures are unnecessarily burdensome and even unlawful.
If you are inclined to contact the S/O about anything regarding their carry license policy, you should not phone them. Write a brief letter addressing your concerns and request that they respond by mail. This way you have a paper trail if the need to pursue it as a legal matter arises. If their written response seems 'hinky' you can always pass it on to the CGF or someone knowledgable on LTC law.

No i don't have it backwards and here is why, I doubt the Sheriff himself puts to much time into this part of their job. Someone came up with the idea that its not a good idea to be in a bar while drinking or with a bunch of drunks when you are carrying. Some staffer was told to put down in the restrictions that CCW holders can't go into a place that has alcohol. So they put it down that way without realizing what they just did.

THEN we come here and complain without even calling the SO to find out what the intent was. In Lake county it was illegal to be on prescription drugs while carrying. It was then pointed out that penicilin and other drugs were prescription but not mind altering. They agreed, fixed the problem and moved on. They even addressed the signage problem. We were told if we follow the law and remain concealed there would be no problem. FYI! They hated the fact that you would have to leave a loaded handgun in your car!! They want it on our person at every point and not subject it to being stolen because of a sign.

At least thats the case with our county. We do an initial 16 hour training course. (real training too) This time allows for all the questions and all the ideas to be on the table and how both the sheriff and the DA would react to us in certain situations. Its a pretty comprehensive class. I personally have the phone number to my trainer. (A Deputy) If something happens i have him on speed dial for help. Our dept. will help us out of county if needed. They don't want other authorities messing with us or their authority on issuing. :D

Dvrjon 08-27-2013 3:40 PM

Some of the Placer Sheriff's list are not restrictions or onerous: "...shall not commit any criminal act." As noted, the list of Placer Sheriff "Restrictions" cannot be restrictions unless they are on the license. However, the constraints placed on the contract you signed as an application are contractually binding on you.

The Standard Application (which you signed, indicating a contractual responsibilty) contains the following information within the liability constraints of Section 4: (http://www.sacsheriff.com/organizati...cw-doj-app.pdf)

While exercising the privileges granted to the licensee under the terms of this license, the licensee shall not, when carrying a concealed weapon:
• Consume any alcoholic beverage.
• Be in a place having a primary purpose of dispensing alcoholic beverages for on-site consumption.
• Be under the influence of any medication or drug, whether prescribed or not.
• Refuse to show the license or surrender the concealed weapon to any peace officer upon demand.
• Impede any peace officer in the performance of his/her duties.
• Present himself/herself as a peace officer to any person unless he/she is, in fact, a peace officer as defined by California law.
• Unjustifiably display a concealed weapon.
• Carry a concealed weapon not listed on the permit.
• Carry a concealed weapon at times or circumstances other than those specified in the permit.

Pretty much the same (except for the signage and the being where alcohol is sold). I suspect the Sheriff left it to an underling and a law school intern (possibly the same) who then wrote up this stuff. You appear to have four courses of action:
1. Follow the Sheriff's missives as they are issued (good luck staying informed)
2. Follow statute and your contractual obligations
3. Ignore all of this crap and, literally, carry on.
4. Call the Sheriff and his staff out and illustrate they are wrong. When they respond, "My license, My rules". Remind them the statute was written to anticipate and stop that kind of attitude.

I don't have a recommendation for you. :D

Cheers.

JR

Lagduf 08-27-2013 4:21 PM

In the past month I've had interactions with police twice in an official capacity in the course of my job.

When I talked to them, with my supervisor and co-workers present in the same room does the Placer County Sheriff really wants me to drop an "Oh by the way officer, I'm required by Placer County Sheriff's department policy to tell you that I have a concealed weapons permit."

I'm sure that would go down great at the school I work at.

Not that I care if my co-workers know I own firearms - it's more so that it's really none of their business.

When I call the non-emergency police number do I have to inform as well?

It says ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT CONTACT.

ANY.

That's absurd.

Really disappointed with these new restrictions and frankly I hope CGF pressure can be brought to bear on Placer eventually. The myth of Placer being shall issue has been perpetuated far too long.

taperxz 08-27-2013 4:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lagduf (Post 12171638)

Really disappointed with these new restrictions and frankly I hope CGF pressure can be brought to bear on Placer eventually. The myth of Placer being shall issue has been perpetuated far too long.

How about you and irishpirate simply contact your SO and explain what you see to them?

SilverTauron 08-27-2013 4:36 PM

What concerns me is the restriction entitled "Unjustifiably Display Weapon".

Statistics-and my own ugly experience-bear proof that a majority of citizen-versus-criminal encounters end once the bad guy knows their target is armed. So , once the criminal runs away its curtains?

Not exactly. The bad guy-or his associates- can call the cops claiming YOU, the intended target of a violent robbery or worse, were the instigator who drew a gun on them as they minded their own lawful business.

20 minutes later you get a knock on the door-or the bad guy beats your call to the 911 dispatcher. Out come the handcuffs, your CCW permit is confiscated, and YOURE arrested for being the alleged instigator.

Think this is FUD? I wish. Mas Ayoob's documented a few cases where the citizen was detained or arrested because the police assumed the bad guys were the victims at first blush. Based on the language of the CCW permit, the authorities can revoke it even if you drew but didn't shoot in self defense.

taperxz 08-27-2013 4:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverTauron (Post 12171735)
What concerns me is the restriction entitled "Unjustifiably Display Weapon".

Statistics-and my own ugly experience-bear proof that a majority of citizen-versus-criminal encounters end once the bad guy knows their target is armed. So , once the criminal runs away its curtains?

Not exactly. The bad guy-or his associates- can call the cops claiming YOU, the intended target of a violent robbery or worse, were the instigator who drew a gun on them as they minded their own lawful business.

20 minutes later you get a knock on the door-or the bad guy beats your call to the 911 dispatcher. Out come the handcuffs, your CCW permit is confiscated, and YOURE arrested for being the alleged instigator.

Think this is FUD? I wish. Mas Ayoob's documented a few cases where the citizen was detained or arrested because the police assumed the bad guys were the victims at first blush. Based on the language of the CCW permit, the authorities can revoke it even if you drew but didn't shoot in self defense.

You are supposed to notify your agency when such a thing happens. If you are up front and honest about the situation, nothing will happen. Its the reason why they issued it to you. No shots fired is a great thing.

JeffCinSac 08-28-2013 8:29 AM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...r#post11973844

medicdude 08-28-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonzin (Post 12161928)
What about "... prohibited by law or sign"? Does that mean if any establishment has a no guns sign it now has the force of law? Or does it mean places such as Federal Buildings, USPO's, etc?

I recently heard that counties are putting this restriction on there to appease businesses. Will it get your permit revoked? I dunno. You test it.

Synergy 08-28-2013 4:43 PM

Quote:

Just finished my 16 hr class (;)) with John Taylor of Best Handgun Training today. In class he addressed his complaints regarding the last item with Sheriff Bonner. His issue with the "disclosure clause" is that a Placer CCW holder in a anti-gun county such as LA or SF may receive undue LE scrutiny regardless if the licensee is in possession of their weapon.

IrishPirate 09-10-2013 10:33 PM

Got clarification about the alcohol question. Stores are ok, bars in a restaurant are ok, but anywhere that only sells alcohol for consumption on the premises is off limits. I guess they're discussing changing "sells" to "serves" now....

Librarian 09-10-2013 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IrishPirate (Post 12280790)
Got clarification about the alcohol question. Stores are ok, bars in a restaurant are ok, but anywhere that only sells alcohol for consumption on the premises is off limits. I guess they're discussing changing "sells" to "serves" now....

Good work, and good that the SO is getting around to better consideration of their requirements.