Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Concealed Carry Discussion (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   10 Guns on license? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=881810)

Rastoff 01-19-2014 12:04 PM

10 Guns on license?

At my renewal class yesterday I heard that they are now allowing up to 10 guns to be listed on your permit. Has anyone heard about this?

My current license only has space for three. It was my understanding that this is standard throughout the state. I would sure like to be able to carry some different guns based on dress and this increase would help.

ZirconJohn 01-19-2014 12:09 PM

I have seven on mine... Mendocino County.

I know a guy here has eleven.

Some Counties do have strict limit of three.

Rastoff 01-19-2014 12:16 PM

I'm in Kern. I'll have to go ask the Sheriff.

FCinCA 01-19-2014 12:48 PM

It all depends on the county apparently.

peterabbits 01-19-2014 1:29 PM

FC is correct its up to the issuing agency. Madera allows as many will fit on the back of the permit. Fresno city only allows three, Fresno county allows four. Madera just went to a really nice credit card sized plastic card, but still requires you to carry the paper copy as well as the new card. I really hope Fresno goes to something similar.

thomashoward 01-19-2014 2:05 PM

Humboldt is 3

Librarian 01-19-2014 3:06 PM

The application itself says
Quote:

List below the weapons you desire to carry if granted a CCW. You may carry concealed only the weapon(s) which you list and describe herein, and only for the purpose indicated. Any misuse will cause an automatic revocation and possible arrest. (Use additional pages if necessary.)

peterabbits 01-19-2014 3:58 PM

Yes but it says "desire". Apparently the agencies that restrict the number have decided that you don't always get what you want. :(

rankor 01-19-2014 4:22 PM

In Tulare County, one can have as many that can be typed on the front (3) and on the back. I have 7, but I've heard of one permit holder that has up to 20 on theirs.

That may change, though.

Zedrek 01-19-2014 6:56 PM

Yes, Kern County apparently allows ten. I put eight different ones down on my application that I turned in a couple of weeks ago and they never said anything about it when they reviewed it so hopefully I'm good to go.

dracer 01-19-2014 7:47 PM

I know this Ca , but we should not have to list any , you where granted a lic to carry that should be enough imho

jackofall 01-23-2014 10:05 PM

Kern recently changed from 3 to 10.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Kid Stanislaus 01-24-2014 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dracer (Post 13242802)
I know this is Ca , but we should not have to list any , you where granted a lic to carry that should be enough imho

"I know this is CA....." What more need be said?;)

LTC-J 01-24-2014 8:18 PM

As someone else said, varies county to county.

When I got my Sacramento one over a year ago, it was only for three. No more.

When I got my El Dorado one this week, it had space for three on the front but I was told I could fill the back up (~20 in same sized type/font as front if I was to guess)

Rastoff 01-27-2014 4:34 PM

I just want to give an update. I asked at the local Sheriff's station and they told me that we can have up to 10 now. They haven't changed the license though. So, three go on the front and the rest will be listed on the back.

jlbflyboy172 01-28-2014 11:03 AM

Solano County only allows two.

QuarterBoreGunner 01-28-2014 12:30 PM

My issuing agency allows... two. Boo.

Here's a question, do you have to do a range qualification with all of them? You guys that have upwards of 5 or whatever?

My agency requires you do their range qual on each piece on your LTC.

Rastoff 01-28-2014 1:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner (Post 13308192)
Here's a question, do you have to do a range qualification with all of them? You guys that have upwards of 5 or whatever?

No, I only have to qualify with a gun. It doesn't even need to be one that I put on my license.

I really wouldn't have an issue if they wanted me to qualify with each gun on the license. It would just take more time.

ZirconJohn 01-28-2014 1:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rastoff (Post 13308430)
No, I only have to qualify with a gun. It doesn't even need to be one that I put on my license.

I really wouldn't have an issue if they wanted me to qualify with each gun on the license. It would just take more time.

For Mendocino... they qualify you on certain type firearm you want to carry... i.e. operational similarities. They want to confirm you know how to operate that particular style of firearm.

Example; I have 7 handguns on my LTC as follows;
2 - 1911's
3 - Glock
1 - Double action revolver
1 - Single action revolver.

I had to qualify with the 1 - 1911, 1 - Glock, and only the double action revolver.

lehn20 01-28-2014 1:50 PM

Mine had space for 3, but I asked for 4 and they added another line.

Rastoff 01-28-2014 3:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZirconJohn (Post 13308604)
For Mendocino... they qualify you on certain type firearm you want to carry... i.e. operational similarities. They want to confirm you know how to operate that particular style of firearm.

Example; I have 7 handguns on my LTC as follows;
2 - 1911's
3 - Glock
1 - Double action revolver
1 - Single action revolver.

I had to qualify with the 1 - 1911, 1 - Glock, and only the double action revolver.

I actually don't have an issue with that. It only makes sense to see that you at least know how to safely load, unload and handle the gun you'll carry.

peterabbits 01-28-2014 5:26 PM

We have to show proficiency with each gun on the permit. How the instructor runs their course to determine that is up to them.

LCU1670 01-28-2014 5:42 PM

Only three for me, Riverside.

Zedrek 01-28-2014 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner (Post 13308192)
My issuing agency allows... two. Boo.

My agency requires you do their range qual on each piece on your LTC.

Nope, just have to qualify. They do require you to bring in each gun with action opened and locked. That's gonna be fun.

ZirconJohn 01-28-2014 9:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rastoff (Post 13309255)
I actually don't have an issue with that. It only makes sense to see that you at least know how to safely load, unload and handle the gun you'll carry.

And you know... like you, I too am very okay with that.

You should otter see how many people have PROBLEMS on the firing line and DON'T pass...!

I am NOT joking... :no:

It's like this; I always sign-up for lane 1 or lane 10... that way I only have to watch ONE side... I am AMAZED at the amount of LTC inadequacy...!

Every two years I walk away from the refresher course shaking my head in disbelief.

mej16489 01-29-2014 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zedrek (Post 13311670)
Nope, just have to qualify. They do require you to bring in each gun with action opened and locked. That's gonna be fun.

Nope, there are no qualification requirements imposed by the State. All qualification requirements are a result of local issuing agency policy with regard to training curriculum.

QuarterBoreGunner 01-29-2014 11:15 AM

Hot off the latest version of the:
California Department Of Justice Bureau Of Firearms Standard Initial And Renewal Application For License To Carry A Concealed Weapon (Rev.11/2012)
Training Required
Penal Code sections 26150 and 26155 specify that new license applicants must complete a course of training. The training may consist of any course acceptable to the licensing authority. The licensing authority may require either a course not to exceed 16 hours which includes instruction on at least firearms safety and the law regarding the permissible use of a firearm, or a community college course not to exceed 24 hours certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training. If the licensing authority requires the community college course, it must be uniformly required for all CCW license applicants. The licensing authority may also require annual qualification on the weapon(s) during the term for which the CCW license is granted.
For license renewal applicants, the course of training may be any course acceptable to the licensing authority, shall be no less than four hours in length, and shall include instruction on firearm safety and the law regarding permissible use of a firearm.

mej16489 01-29-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner (Post 13315693)
Hot off the latest version of the:
California Department Of Justice Bureau Of Firearms Standard Initial And Renewal Application For License To Carry A Concealed Weapon[ (Rev.11/2012)
Training Required
Penal Code sections 26150 and 26155 specify that new license applicants must complete a course of training. The training may consist of any course acceptable to the licensing authority. The licensing authority may require either a course not to exceed 16 hours which includes instruction on at least firearms safety and the law regarding the permissible use of a firearm, or a community college course not to exceed 24 hours certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training. If the licensing authority requires the community college course, it must be uniformly required for all CCW license applicants. The licensing authority may also require annual qualification on the weapon(s) during the term for which the CCW license is granted.
For license renewal applicants, the course of training may be any course acceptable to the licensing authority, shall be no less than four hours in length, and shall include instruction on firearm safety and the law regarding permissible use of a firearm.

That's an interesting development; the Penal Code doesn't authorize annual qualifications.

Knomad 02-02-2014 5:00 PM

Three in Humboldt, although rumor has it that Sheriff Downey is "considering" whether to allow more. We currently need to qualify with each gun that will be on the permit, and when initially placed on the permit it needs to be brought in by appointment for a serial number check.

Just think of the benefits for the local economy... if we can buy more guns and more ammo :)

Rastoff 02-02-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZirconJohn (Post 13312195)
You should otter see how many people have PROBLEMS on the firing line and DON'T pass...!

I am NOT joking... :no:

It's like this; I always sign-up for lane 1 or lane 10... that way I only have to watch ONE side... I am AMAZED at the amount of LTC inadequacy...!

Every two years I walk away from the refresher course shaking my head in disbelief.

This doesn't surprise me at all and in fact mirrors my own experience.

My first two classes were real eye openers. I'm convinced that the majority of students hadn't touched their guns since the last class two years prior. Fortunately the instructor for those two classes ran a tight ship so, we had no safety violations.

I just recently took a renewal and was pleasantly surprised to see some good shooting and gun handling. There were only 4 of us in that class.

JohnCCW 02-15-2014 4:04 PM

This post is for the gun snobs- I keep reading about how often they practice/how great their accuracy, etc.

My county doesn't discriminate against old, weak, or disabled. If you can fire your weapon into the black of your target at point blank range, you have the right to a CCW to protect yourself.
Obviously, if you can't control a 44mag, you won't get that approved on your permit. You can have a .22LR, so that means nearly everyone can fulfill the CCW gun handling requirements.

CCW is about gun rights, not control... Lol.

Jammen 02-15-2014 5:21 PM

I've been looking into San Mateo's CCW restrictions. Seems SM only allows one pistol on the permit?? Anyone know that for a fact? If so, that makes my little collection that much sadder. So hard to pick a favorite. :p

ElDub1950 02-15-2014 6:12 PM

Seems it not only varies by county, but also by instructor. When I did my renewal a few weeks ago, I had to qualify with each gun on the permit and was charged a little extra for each one after the first. But when I got my license initially, I didn't have to qualify at all, except demonstrate I knew how to handle them and field strip for cleaning.