Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calgunners in Service (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=154)
-   -   Distinguished Warfare medal...please (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=706322)

Raider510 02-18-2013 12:58 AM

Distinguished Warfare medal...please

So I just read an article on Army Times where this so-called "Distinguished Warfare" medal is going to be awarded to drone pilots, and that it's going to be rated higher than the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and other medals of valor, and just below the Distinguished Flying Cross. :facepalm:

What a F**king joke..... Bunch of REMF idiots whoever came up with this one. It should rank about as high as the Good Conduct medal. I could go on and on about this crap but I'll just leave the rest for further discussion. :oji:

Thoughts?

NiteQwill 02-18-2013 1:34 AM

Yea, heard about this cluster a few months back.

There are talks about fixing the mess and placing it right below the Joint Service medal. Frankly, it should be placed in the correct category: within service medals (Army Ribbon, Sea Duty, etc.).

ducky_0811 02-18-2013 5:41 AM

quite frankly, they shouldnt even be making this medal, just give them the appropriate level achievement or commendation medal like everyone else gets...why do these pilots (read gamers) even rate a medal of their own, if thats a case, i want a distinguished artilleryman's medal!

Henry Shooter 02-18-2013 6:53 AM

A Medal / Trophy for everyone so you don't feel left out. This motto has been around for years.

paratroop 02-18-2013 10:25 AM

Shouldn't a campaign medal and service ribbon be enough? Heck even a drone badge. For this to be rated higher than a bronze star or purple heart or anything for that matter is crazy. I vote a cute little drone badge, not a distinguished medal.

Carsgunsandchics 02-18-2013 11:19 AM

A friend of mine was saying this medal is going to be made from old Chuck E Cheese tokens. It sounds like it should be. :facepalm:

Linh 02-18-2013 11:26 AM

As a REMF this is really gay.

A drone badge would be good enough.

This is the freakin job that I would want if I was new to the military.

The Distinguished Warfare medal should be all pink, with a rainbow across it.

TAK 02-18-2013 8:54 PM

Just for everyones knowledge this isn't mean't for the typical guy who is flying a drone it's for commanders. They also have changed it's precedence after a large outcry and it won't be above that.

ducky_0811 02-19-2013 5:30 AM

my point is it shouldnt even be a medal, they are performing their job, just like the rest of us are....why should they recieve a special medal just for them? we have all done our jobs over seas, some of us gave our lives doing our jobs, these pilots do it from the safety of a trailor in the US. and the commanders arent really doing anything (lets be honest here, ok?) but taking credit for the pilots efforts. if REMF's or their commanders get their own medal, then every MOS should have an MOS specific medal.
all this is, is obama trying to make his drone agenda (targeting of american's suspected of terrorism) seem more legit. :rant:

LCU1670 02-19-2013 7:11 AM

Anything to do with aircraft/air force is always over rated. Look at a typical airmans uniform, they have more ribbons out of boot camp, then I had my first 10 years in the army. I saved a guys life, latter thought here it comes, I bet i'll get an award for this. Months goes by, nothing, finally ask my commander about it. His answer, if i didn't do what I did, he would have charged me with derilection of duty! He said it was my job, which it was/is. Later, theres a major fire, I grab a hose and get another soldier and we rush in and put it out. Same commander, I didn't expect anything and wasn't disappointed. I put the other soldier in, it was down graded by our commander and he got a DA Letter or achievement.

It's like the old saying, awards are like hemorroids, eventuality every ***hole gets one.

TAK 02-19-2013 3:44 PM

These guys fight a war that needs to be fought that we can't. Just because they aren't in danger doesn't mean they aren't doing great things. These guys do more for the protection of the country and fellow troops than some pouge that sits on leatherneck or any large fob in country drinking monsters and complaining on facebook how they miss home. These guys are providing intel and cas for grunts on the ground and carrying out precision strikes of target we have no other way of hitting without starting another war.

I have nothing to do with the uav or airwing community I am a Marine grunt but these guys deserve credit. A medal worth more than a bronze star with v? No way, but a lower ranking medal like a campaign or achievement level would be very suitable.

epwegmann 02-21-2013 10:06 PM

Do I get the medal every time I hit my kill streak?

AFK9Cop 02-24-2013 9:10 AM

Yeah, just a "feel good" medal, way way too high up on the ranking compared to other medals. I guess the guys that fly law mowers with wings weren't happy with their flight suits and function badge

Cpl. Haas 02-24-2013 9:31 AM

http://terminallance.com/comics/2013...ervice_web.gif

Mr.Matt 02-24-2013 9:16 PM

Think that's bad, just wait till you start seeing claims of stress and PTSD from those same gamers showing up through VA. And receiving benefits...

This is no joke. This needs to be stopped. It's disrespectful for our brothers and sisters who have and still are laying it on the line. And the ones we lost.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dbogin 02-24-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

It's disrespectful for our brothers and sisters who have and still are laying it on the line. And the ones we lost.
As a chicken-***** crypto tech who hid behind radars and com boxes for the USN, I am embarrassed by these shenanigans. That recognition is undeserved, IMHO.

Granted, those crews serving as drone jockeys may be doing good work, and I'm sure its stressful when you're walking a thin line on how many collateral deaths your commander is gonna allow when taking out that high value target.

I hardly think its in the same league as men and women dodging live fire and getting their truck blowed out from under them.

LCpl Kutches 02-25-2013 8:02 AM

There are many other brave men and women in the military, U.S. Military and all military branches to award an honorable unique award to one group of operators who never have to physically or mentally endure the same challenges as those in the front lines.

The drone operators already receive the same pay as our military in combat that are currently getting shot at and blown up by IED's, but have no risk of injury.

"Insert logic here" it seems we have drifted from logical thinking.

SGT Loco 02-25-2013 8:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LCpl Kutches (Post 10638789)
The drone operators already receive the same pay as our military in combat that are currently getting shot at and blown up by IED's, but have no risk of injury.

Untrue. You have to actually, physically be located in a "combat zone" to receive the various hazardous duty/hostile fire pay and tax breaks. Drone operators based at regular military installations would only make their normal salary.

Quote:

Think that's bad, just wait till you start seeing claims of stress and PTSD from those same gamers showing up through VA. And receiving benefits...
PTSD comes in a variety of forms. You don't think it would be psychologically traumatic to know that you accidentally blew up an entire family collecting firewood by mistake? Or because you missed and hit a school? Remote or not, there can still be some heavy **** that goes along with the job.

Definitely not bronze star with V heavy, but....

laabstract 02-25-2013 9:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAK (Post 10583009)
I have nothing to do with the uav or airwing community I am a Marine grunt but these guys deserve credit. A medal worth more than a bronze star with v? No way, but a lower ranking medal like a campaign or achievement level would be very suitable.

i agree 100%

winnre 02-25-2013 9:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGT Loco (Post 10639215)
Untrue. You have to actually, physically be located in a "combat zone" to receive the various hazardous duty/hostile fire pay and tax breaks. Drone operators based at regular military installations would only make their normal salary.

Then they go back to their hotel room and rental car with an extra untaxable $165 per diem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SGT Loco (Post 10639215)
PTSD comes in a variety of forms. You don't think it would be psychologically traumatic to know that you accidentally blew up an entire family collecting firewood by mistake? Or because you missed and hit a school? Remote or not, there can still be some heavy **** that goes along with the job.

And when that happens on a video game you only lose a turn. I'm sure striking the wrong target from a video screen is not as bad as shooting a kid from 10 feet away who frightened you. For one thing, you can turn off the monitor and and the whole problem just "goes away."

SGT Loco 02-25-2013 9:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winnre (Post 10639514)
Then they go back to their hotel room and rental car with an extra untaxable $165 per diem.

They should live in the barracks, with all the other E4's :D

Quote:

And when that happens on a video game you only lose a turn. I'm sure striking the wrong target from a video screen is not as bad as shooting a kid from 10 feet away who frightened you. For one thing, you can turn off the monitor and and the whole problem just "goes away."
Except that somewhere in the world, the family you just killed is still dead. Plus, you have to stick around for the BDA- you can't just "turn off the monitor". While it may look eerily similar, it is not a game. While I'm sure it's not as instantly traumatic as shooting a kid in the face, saying it doesn't or can't induce PTSD and doesn't deserve treatment is more than a little ignorant.

kermit315 02-25-2013 9:24 PM

This new medal is a crock. If they want to award the commanders, MSM's should be fine, assuming the work is actually reflecting of it. Being as they initially rated it above a bronze star, I would say that a MSM would be fine. That is what my old CO's got when they did turnover.

Scuba Steve33 02-25-2013 10:20 PM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-conte...frustrated.gif

Raider510 02-28-2013 12:33 AM

I agree with most of the sentiments expressed here, thanks for the input.

This "medal" should rate similar to an Army Achievement medal. Dunno what you squiddies and zoomies get that is similar, but it should be the same.

Granted, they do an important job. No one is disputing that. The kick in the nuts comes where they are getting recognized with a medal that is of such prestige that it rates higher than an award where you are physically injured in battle, or have done something meritorious enough that you earn a bronze star with V device. It just feels like a slap in the face to the guys on the ground in the s**t all day actually shooting bad guys and dodging those MF'ing IED's.

billmaykafer 02-28-2013 5:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpl. Haas (Post 10630355)

too funny. i made sure my buddy got the message on this.he got a bronze star with V device in viet nam for tet.

Scuba Steve33 02-28-2013 11:52 AM

There's a White House petition to lower the status of the medal. I'm on my phone and haven't seen it but was told about it. Will sign when I get home.

The medal shouldn't even exist but it definitely shouldn't be higher than any medal capable of being awarded with a V device.

Raider510 03-01-2013 12:11 AM

I'd like to know what idiot up at the Pentagon is sponsoring this farce. From what it seems, any General worth his salt should be up in arms over this.