Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Wine Country Chapter (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=305)
-   -   How is life in the Yountville area? Might move there? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=814800)

Average Joe American 08-28-2013 3:07 AM

How is life in the Yountville area? Might move there?

I am thinking of moving back to California. My wife loves Napa. We miss trees, hills, rivers, streams, mountains, and the ocean. Las Vegas is nice but we have 2 little boys and sin city just isnt kid friendly. Its gun friendly but there is more to life than my guns.

We have visited the Napa area but dont know how life really is up there. How are the schools and the outdoors? How about ranges and BLM shooting spots (if any?)

How about renting vs buying?

We are debt free. No house or car or credit card debts. Some college. Some savings. We like living well under our means and living small isnt always a bad thing with us. We are used to it coming from Hawaii.

Hows life up there? Whats to do for kids?

taperxz 08-28-2013 9:29 AM

Yountville is great but not cheap. Your commute will suck as most jobs are not close by but in the lower bay area. (from there)

Charlie50 08-28-2013 9:45 AM

Boring... you can always hang with the guys from the Vets home. :)

Napa county is funny area, it seems large divide between the truly rich 5% and those barely making it paycheck to paycheck - 60% and the few squishy in between 35%. To make money normally you have to commute out and driving on 29 is virtually gridlock at commute hours. Public schools now suck. Plan on 45 minutes to an hour to get to interstate 80. Won't move back ever. On the up side nice place to visit, eat and drink at. Mustards, Don Giovannis, Downtown Joes, and Bounty Hunter and many more work pretty well. Really you can only go wine tasting, eating out, and hiking in the same places so many times before it gets a little old.... The French Laundry is nice place to get a quick bite, on the cheap, say hi to Thomas. :)

Average Joe American 08-30-2013 2:50 AM

Wow. Thanks for the info. I was also looking at the Petaluma or Santa Rosa area. I hate traffic and commuting but I guess that is just a part of life in many parts of California.

I'll have to take a weekend and go drive around the area up there and see for myself what we like. (and dislike).

Average Joe American 08-30-2013 2:50 AM

Wow. Thanks for the info. I was also looking at the Petaluma or Santa Rosa area. I hate traffic and commuting but I guess that is just a part of life in many parts of California.

I'll have to take a weekend and go drive around the area up there and see for myself what we like. (and dislike).

twolane 08-30-2013 5:43 AM

Petaluma seems to be a step above Santa Rosa.
Not many outdoor range options int he area however... Closest one that comes to mind is the forest up in Middletown. Small spot, about an hour from Santa Rosa, kind of a short range too.

napahunter 08-30-2013 5:58 AM

Born and raised here in Napa. I own 2 businesses here...to sum it up, I hate this place. Tourist clogging up the roads on the weekends, restaurants overpriced. I'm looking to sell everything at the end of the year, and move out of CA.

p7m8jg 08-30-2013 6:16 AM

I worked there for almost two years & thought about moving there. Couldn't afford to buy or rent anything nice and the public schools weren't impressive IMHO. That valley is about expensive wine, the hoy polloi, and who knows who. Nothing more.

yoteassasin 08-30-2013 1:07 PM

Try schellville area lived there for 5 years just moved loved it! Centrally located for comuting to Santa Rosa or sf or east bay

old man dave 09-02-2013 2:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twolane (Post 12191762)
Petaluma seems to be a step above Santa Rosa.
Not many outdoor range options int he area however... Closest one that comes to mind is the forest up in Middletown. Small spot, about an hour from Santa Rosa, kind of a short range too.

Circle S Ranch is a range heading towards Tomales from Petaluma, about 15 minutes.

mag360 09-02-2013 4:09 AM

Grew up in petaluma and my parents still live there. If you are at all conservative politically the nonsensical drivel perpetuated by the regions newspapers will drive you nuts. The old school conservative "democrats" like the italian immigrants from long ago are long gone. Replaced by marin and san francisco transplants looking for something quiter and cheaper. Houses are expensive but the public schools are pretty good. I graduated from petaluma high. We had a lot of kids get into UC's and a few ivy leagues as well. Also if you like well built freeways and good thoroughfares Petaluma is not for you. Commutes to san francisco SUCK from there. I don't understand why people commute so much it detracts from your lifestyle greatly. I have a 3 mile commute...usually by bicycle from downtown sacramento. Move to sacramento at least you can get an LTC here. Vacaville might be cool too I think solano county does LTcC as well but not as shall issue. Vacaville has great views if you buy in the hills and good schools from what my co-worker tells me. What do you do for work? I'd rather move to Tennessee or North Carolina or Florida or Georgia than Cali. Unless you can't afford an air conditioner lol seriously the obly thing you can't get better elsewhere is the weather.

F-2_Challenger 09-02-2013 10:05 AM

If you will have a decent paying job in the area, or near by then yes. Yountville is a beautiful area, but expensive and very little to do. I would highly encourage to live in Napa or St. Helena instead. Angwin is beautiful but you have to deal with religion.

The schooling is much better up valley. Check the schools out before you move in. My neighbor was told to not bother showing up to back to school night because it was going to be done only in spanish.

Finally you need $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Carsgunsandchics 09-02-2013 11:13 AM

It can be interesting getting around safely on the weekends during the winter due to tourists/wine o's crashing. And interesting the whole week during summer tourist/wine o's crashing.

REDPATCHUSMC 09-09-2013 5:30 PM

Born and raised in NAPA... hated it... still do! I go back often to care for elderly parent. I have deep roots in Napa.

I moved to Sonoma County. I HIGHLY recommend it!! Petaluma is the south end of the county, thus more expensive since it is located more for commuting to SF and beyond. I would recommend Healdsburg if you like the ambiance of Yountville. It is pricey however, just like Yountville. However you have the small towm America atmosphere, the beautiful wine country, the Russian River, Lake Sonoma and many more! The ocean is a simple 45 minute drive and you can head up to Lake County or maybe closer (;) ) for BLM land to shoot on.

If Healdsburg is out of your $$$, look at Windsor just south of there, North of Santa Rosa. Windsor is a lovely bedroom community with newer homes and neighborhood type schools. ( 2 year schools = awesome! K-1, 2-3, 3-4 etc )The community provided lots of rentals as well as sale homes.

Good luck!

twodko 11-07-2013 8:26 AM

Just my thoughts here.....
Yountville is full of uppity 1%'rs, very expensive to live there. Napa same same.
I grew up in Petaluma which was a nice country town. Now it's become nothing more than a pricey armpit extension of Marin........1%'rs.
There are still many pleasant, safe and clean neighborhoods in Santa Rosa but NOW is the time to buy a home because prices are climbing. The farther north you go communities and towns seem to be better but each place has its faults.
Sebastopol was once a wonderful an even smaller ranching/Ag town but it's been taken over by ultra lib green weenies, alternate life style types with their attitudes and more Marin people. I lived here before joining the military and know what a great little town it was back in the day. I still live in west county but it's getting less desirable every year. I prolly sound bitter and understand things do change but I think whats happening in Sonoma and Napa counties are a barometer of the downward spiral of Kalibrokia in general.