Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Non-California Permits/Licenses (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=378)
-   -   Florida CCW (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1112184)

sandmanx408 09-08-2015 7:41 PM

Florida CCW

Is there anyone on here, who has a Non resident FLorida CCW i have a Nevada CCW already, but want the florida one also as it would give me up tp i believe 39 states i can legally carry.

I took the class thru "the Gun Shop" here in Las Vegas and need to just fill in the application take a passport photo already got the finger print placard

Main Question is for payment since i am mailing everything should i just write a check and throw everything in the envelop?

THanks in advance

CoJo 09-08-2015 7:45 PM

I'd do a money order. And yep that's exactly what you do

dobek 09-08-2015 7:50 PM

Easy as can be. Gotta send a Passport photo also - I sent a money order

Steve

squeeze 09-08-2015 11:50 PM

FYI: They are over whelmed with applications.
If you have a military DD214 I would strongly suggest that you include a copy with your application. On their web-site the commissioner states that they will expedite vets and active duty. After about 140 days I called and e-mailed mine. Next day I got an e-mail, and a call, that indicated they would process mine during the next working day.
Pay very close attention to the applications directions. Especially about the fingerprints. Call them if you are unsure. They have always been very nice and helpful. Any mistake will get you a letter and you will then go to the back of the line.

Here is the Florida link:

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divi...ices/Licensing

sandmanx408 09-09-2015 11:28 PM

ok so a money order of the total should be fine and throw the passport photo, in the envelop as well and send it out. ok awesome.

Never served in the military so that expedited process wont apply to me and i will have to wait it out

thanks again everyone

Hot Holster 09-10-2015 5:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squeeze (Post 16895546)
FYI: They are over whelmed with applications.
If you have a military DD214 I would strongly suggest that you include a copy with your application. On their web-site the commissioner states that they will expedite vets and active duty. After about 140 days I called and e-mailed mine. Next day I got an e-mail, and a call, that indicated they would process mine during the next working day.
Pay very close attention to the applications directions. Especially about the fingerprints. Call them if you are unsure. They have always been very nice and helpful. Any mistake will get you a letter and you will then go to the back of the line.

Here is the Florida link:

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divi...ices/Licensing

This is true. I had a vet in the gun shop where I work, he had his in just over one week.

DoubleA 09-10-2015 5:55 AM

Also, if the instructions specify black ink, do not use blue. Don't ask me how I know. [emoji3]

Cokebottle 03-19-2016 2:40 PM

Also, just a copy of your CA CCW does not satisfy their requirement for proof of training.
Yes, the CA minimum training standards DO meet the requirements, but the CCW itself does not fit their requirements for documentation of the class.

SpamNRice 03-25-2016 4:56 PM

yup, sent MO, complete app, and fingerprint, photo and done

ezaircon4jc 03-26-2016 6:52 PM

I tried to decipher the Florida requirements. As I understand it I need the application, DD214 and fingerprint card. I have had nothing but trouble trying to find how and where to get the card. Any suggestions? At least in San Diego county law enforcement will not do the fingerprints.

The Arizona CCW was sooooooo easy!!

HELP!!!!

Cokebottle 03-26-2016 8:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc (Post 17906999)
I tried to decipher the Florida requirements. As I understand it I need the application, DD214 and fingerprint card. I have had nothing but trouble trying to find how and where to get the card. Any suggestions? At least in San Diego county law enforcement will not do the fingerprints.

HELP!!!!

DD214 takes care of the training requirements.
You need to send two passport photos (Auto Club did mine)
You get the fingerprint card from Florida.
Look around and you should find some LEA that will roll prints.
San Bernardino actually rolls them on the Livescan machine and then prints them from Livescan to the cards.

I seem to recall something about the officer who rolls them needs to include some kind of information on the upper right corner of the reverse side. SBSD used a rubber stamp... but maybe that was AZ, not sure.

Either way, if you can't find something more local, San Bernardino will accept walk-ins (expect an hour or two wait) at the 3rd St main HQ.
I believe they are open M-Th, definitely closed Friday.

GlockN'Roll 03-27-2016 8:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc (Post 17906999)

I tried to decipher the Florida requirements.

As I understand it I need the application, DD214 and fingerprint card.

I have had nothing but trouble trying to find how and where to get the card.

Any suggestions?

At least in San Diego county law enforcement will not do the fingerprints.

HELP!!!!

OCSD just a little north of you will do your wet prints.

I did mine in the Aliso Viejo office.
"Fingerprint Cards: 320 N. Flower Street, Santa Ana and
11 Journey, Aliso Viejo, from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.
Monday through Friday (except holidays). No appointment is necessary.
Cost is $10 for the first card and $1 for each additional card.
Valid picture ID is required."

Aliso Viejo Office at (949) 425-1801

http://ocsd.org/about/info/faq#1890

Best of luck...

Tripper 03-27-2016 8:40 AM

I'm surprised CO doesnt recog any other state non-res, and will only recog a resident if the state recognizes CO.
otherwise, with CA and NV, i dont see what FL gives me

Cokebottle 03-27-2016 6:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripper (Post 17909095)
I'm surprised CO doesnt recog any other state non-res, and will only recog a resident if the state recognizes CO.
otherwise, with CA and NV, i dont see what FL gives me

That is true reciprocity as opposed to "recognition" and many states follow it.

They will only recognize a permit from a state that recognizes theirs.
That's why the California permit alone only allows carry in 25 states, but adding AZ and FL brings it to 35, even though CA has more stringent training requirements than AZ or FL.

Not accepting non-resident permits is more rare... I think only 7 states have this rule including CO, MI, SC, FL, NH, Maine, and PA

Cokebottle 03-27-2016 6:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusExMachina (Post 17909106)
Surprised the class you took didn't give you a printed checklist/instructions per state. It's one piece of paper. I think my Florida stuff actually had a checklist on the envelope that said. Before you seal this, make sure you have included........

Depends on whether he paid for a multi-state class where they offer fingerprinting and assistance in applying, or if he took a basic NRA hunter safety class, which also qualifies for FL.

Cokebottle 03-27-2016 7:06 PM

And don't forget, the Florida application must be notarized.
My notary had to do something special because of the type of form it was and actually voided one of the pages, having to use a replacement page from Ca. The original was still attached with her stamp and a reference.

No issue with that... the only thing addressed in my "need more information" letter was they did not recognize a copy of the CaCCW as meeting their training requirements. They need some kind of "certificate" with the instructor identified.

Not that it would hurt anyone to take Basic Pistol or Defensive Pistol.
Apple Valley Gun Club is hosting NRA Defensive Pistol next month.

ezaircon4jc 03-27-2016 8:49 PM

Thanks guys! After a little more digging it seems FL only gets me MN. That isn't worth it to me.

I just hope Peruta goes our way and Gore is forced to issue permits.

Cokebottle 03-27-2016 9:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc (Post 17912367)
Thanks guys! After a little more digging it seems FL only gets me MN. That isn't worth it to me.

I'm not seeing FL getting MN, resident or non-resident.

The only thing that FL gets you over AZ is FL.
The only reason I went through the process for FL is my daughter lives there.

Other than that, between AZ and UT, UT give you WA, AZ gives you NV.
I've been to WA only twice in my life, and my friends in Portland are now deceased, so I don't anticipate going back unless I move there.
I time in NV a couple of times a year.

ezaircon4jc 03-28-2016 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 17912426)
I'm not seeing FL getting MN, resident or non-resident.

The only thing that FL gets you over AZ is FL.
The only reason I went through the process for FL is my daughter lives there.

Other than that, between AZ and UT, UT give you WA, AZ gives you NV.
I've been to WA only twice in my life, and my friends in Portland are now deceased, so I don't anticipate going back unless I move there.
I time in NV a couple of times a year.

Hmmmmm.... I read that wrong. THANKS!!!

That's what I figured. I have no plans to travel to FL and as AZ gives me NV where I have relatives I'll just stick with my AZ and hope against hope that Peruta goes the correct way.

Gryff 03-28-2016 9:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandmanx408 (Post 16894595)
Is there anyone on here, who has a Non resident FLorida CCW i have a Nevada CCW already, but want the florida one also as it would give me up tp i believe 39 states i can legally carry.

I took the class thru "the Gun Shop" here in Las Vegas and need to just fill in the application take a passport photo already got the finger print placard

Main Question is for payment since i am mailing everything should i just write a check and throw everything in the envelop?

My wife and I both have the Florida non-resident CCW. We paid with a personal check and sent both apps in together in the same envelope.

Note that with the Florida application, your fingerprint card has to be completed at a law enforcement agency. Also make that they do a good job because the prints for both my wife's initial application and renewal were rejected by the FBI and had to be re-submitted.

Cokebottle 03-28-2016 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandmanx408 (Post 16894595)

How would NV and FL give you 39, when NV, CA, AZ, and FL is only 36?

squeeze 03-30-2016 9:34 PM

I waited about 90 days and when they announced that vets/active duty personnel get expedited; I called and sent a copy of my DD214. They called and e-mailed me that my permit would be on its way the next day. THANKS FLORIDA!

REDHORSE 06-13-2016 11:18 AM

If you are considering a FL CCW, I'd send them out ASAP.

With the recent mass shooting, there are going to be a lot of FL residents applying for their FL CCW. FL CCW backlog is going to get crazy in the next few days/week(s).

Just as it happened with the San Bernardino attack. The CCW applications skyrocketed in San Bernardino and Riverside counties.

Cokebottle 06-13-2016 8:03 PM

Got mine a couple of weeks ago.

A copy of your California CCW is not sufficient... they need to have a copy of the actual class certificate with the NRA instructor's number and signature.
This isn't a huge deal for many, but in San Bernardino, our CCW is our certificate, so we need something more.

Print must be rolled by LE.
I rolled mine on the Livescan machine and she printed onto the cards, that was accepted.
Passport photo and form notarized at Auto Club and good to go.

baggss 06-16-2016 8:44 PM

Got mine in the mail sometime this week while I was out of town.

Looks like it took a bit shy of 3 weeks from the time I mailed it. I sent the app of on the 27 May (Friday before Memorial day), post mark is 10 June, so it probably got to my house on 14 or 15 Jun at the latest. Pretty damn good! The web site did say they were expediting Active duty and Vet permits so I assume it went to the top of the pile.

2 Passport Photos from CVS Pharmacy.
Local PD still does ink prints for $18/card.
Check for $112.
DD-214.
Filled out Application notorized at the UPS Store for $15.

Actually cheaper AND faster than AZ AND good for 7 years!

lewdogg21 06-17-2016 7:31 AM

I will be in florida for vacation the very end of August. It seems like the possibility of getting a ccw back by then are slim to none with me not being a vet. Should I buck up and be optimistic or am I probably SOL with waiting this long?

Cokebottle 06-17-2016 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdogg21 (Post 18339137)
I will be in florida for vacation the very end of August. It seems like the possibility of getting a ccw back by then are slim to none with me not being a vet. Should I buck up and be optimistic or am I probably SOL with waiting this long?

Have you already applied?

They have, by law, 90 days to process your application.

Have all of your ducks in a row... I was delayed over 60 days because they did not accept a copy of my CA CCW and I had to send in copies of my NRA training certs.

If you have not applied yet, I don't think you'll make it by August.

baggss 06-17-2016 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cokebottle (Post 18343690)
Have all of your ducks in a row... I was delayed over 60 days because they did not accept a copy of my CA CCW and I had to send in copies of my NRA training certs.t.

Out of curiosity, what lead you to believe that a copy of your CA CCW would suffice to meet the training requirment?

Cokebottle 06-17-2016 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggss (Post 18344113)
Out of curiosity, what lead you to believe that a copy of your CA CCW would suffice to meet the training requirment?

Because California training requirements are more stringent than Florida, the class that I took was from my IA (San Bernardino does not accept private training), and it's good enough for proof of training for AZ and other states that have substantially the same "proof of training" requirements as FL.

My IA does not issue a separate certificate for training.
You get your signed range card listing the guns you qualified with and the instructor's signature. I did send a copy of that as well.

CandG 10-11-2016 10:46 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was hoping someone could provide a synopsis on what a CA resident needs to do to get a FL non-resident permit.

I have:
-A CA CCW
-An 8-hour training certificate for that
-An NRA-licensed handgun safety class certificate
-A CA hunting license
-A CA hunter's safety certificate
-An AZ non-resident CCW license
-A UT non-resident CCW license

I assume one of those qualifies? So my question is, what do I need to submit, and how do I acquire it? Are the resident and non-resident applications the same thing? From what I see on this thread and the FL website, it appears I need to complete an application, fingerprint cards (the same as AZ? where do I get them?), send proof of training (which one of the above listed items would be best to submit?), passport photos, and money. Based on the reported long wait times, I want to make sure I get this right the first time. As "luck" would have it, FL is probably the state I spend the 2nd-most amount of time in, next to CA. Thanks in advance!

Cokebottle 10-12-2016 6:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cockedandglocked (Post 18974107)
-An NRA-licensed handgun safety class certificate

That is sufficient.
The CCW cert would work IF it has the instructor's NRA cert and signature.

Quote:

I assume one of those qualifies? So my question is, what do I need to submit, and how do I acquire it? Are the resident and non-resident applications the same thing? From what I see on this thread and the FL website, it appears I need to complete an application, fingerprint cards (the same as AZ? where do I get them?), send proof of training (which one of the above listed items would be best to submit?), passport photos, and money. Based on the reported long wait times, I want to make sure I get this right the first time. As "luck" would have it, FL is probably the state I spend the 2nd-most amount of time in, next to CA. Thanks in advance!
When you request the packet, your pdf application will have a unique tracking number. That will be the tracking number (plus your birthdate) that you will use to check your status online.

https://licensing.freshfromflorida.c...equest790.aspx
Download the instructions, application (534k), then come back to the page and check the Fingerprint Cards" checkbox.
When you tap "Continue" it will go to a page where you can request up to 9 fingerprint cards.
I requested 4 so if any were illegible there would be backups, but my IA used the Livescan machine, and printed directly onto the cards, rather than physically rolling the prints, so all 4 were identical. I sent them anyways ;)

The cards are pre-stamped in two locations, must be rolled by LE, and the LE information must be written on the upper right corner of the rear of the cards.

Passport photo and notarized form can be handled at Auto Club... My rep X'd through something on the form and indicated to see an attachment and she used a California compliant form. It was accepted.

Resident and non-rez are the same app, the only difference is that we can not use the Livescan and have to submit cards, so we also have to pay the card processing fee, so the total is $102.

FL by law has 90 days to complete the process AFTER THEY BEGIN PROCESSING... but they stay on top of things.

After you apply, you can check status by going here and inputting the "T" number from your application and birthdate.

Florida permit is good for 7 years :D

CandG 10-12-2016 6:47 PM

Perfect, thank you CB!

Cokebottle 10-12-2016 7:03 PM

Oh... and my wife sent both AZ and FL overnight.

Don't bother... my tracking ID didn't show for 2 or 3 weeks.

DevilDawgJJ 11-04-2016 12:39 PM

Mailed mine today. We'll see how fast they expedite veterans

mace1138 11-09-2016 2:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDawgJJ (Post 19098692)
Mailed mine today. We'll see how fast they expedite veterans

I mailed mine 07 SEP 2016 with my DD214. They received it 12 SEP. The status page still shows it as processing. Mailed AZ at the same time and it's already here. I really expected FL to be much faster. I was just in FL for three weeks. I expected it to arrive either right before I went there or while I was there. Oh well, I'm going back in February.

ontmark 11-10-2016 7:45 PM

Florida turn around time see here.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1242443

liuk3 11-13-2016 5:25 PM

Just curious why if you live in CA you are interested in the Florida CCW?

baggss 11-13-2016 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liuk3 (Post 19156324)
Just curious why if you live in CA you are interested in the Florida CCW?

1) It allows me to carry legally in FL if/when I visit there.

2) It is accepted by ~35 other states, whereas CA is only accepted by ~23 other states, so it allows me to carry legally in a greater number of places I may visit.

Cokebottle 11-14-2016 5:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggss (Post 19157769)

2) It is accepted by ~35 other states, whereas CA is only accepted by ~23 other states, so it allows me to carry legally in a greater number of places I may visit.

Bingo.

As of the present time, CA+AZ+Florida gives you nothing that Florida alone does not (now that NV accepts both FL and AZ).
Likewise, CA+AZ gives you everything that Florida gives you except Florida.

So if you have no need or plans to travel to FL, then CA+AZ is cheaper and easier
FL is shall issue, but requires a notarized form, passport photo, and prints rolled by LE, plus it's $50 more (plus the fees for the above).
The application is basically identical to AZ, little more than the 4473 questions. Training requirements are basically the same except AZ accepts a copy of your CA CCW as proof of training, FL does not.

liuk3 11-15-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggss (Post 19157769)

Thanks. Yeah, I have Utah and am waiting on Arizona. I tend not to bring my piece when I fly, so Florida would not be that useful for me living in California.