Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Turner's Outdoorsman (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   Turner's New Safe Affidavit Policy (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=701641)

Oldmandan 02-11-2013 2:01 PM

Turner's New Safe Affidavit Policy

Just picked up 2 lowers at Turner's Norwalk, which by the way took forever even with nobody in the store.

Apparently, now you have to own a safe with a combination lock to use the safe affidavit. My safe is keyed, so they made me buy 2 locks. First time I've heard anything like this....

DVSmith 02-11-2013 2:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldmandan (Post 10499576)
Just picked up 2 lowers at Turner's Norwalk, which by the way took forever even with nobody in the store.

Apparently, now you have to own a safe with a combination lock to use the safe affidavit. My safe is keyed, so they made me buy 2 locks. First time I've heard anything like this....

Why would they care? What is their justification? Did they say?

joetotoroto 02-11-2013 2:08 PM

I was at Turner's at 11 this morning and it took 1/2 an hour to ask if they had any forged lowers, there were only like 6 customers in the store. I will not be visiting this store again ever.

Oldmandan 02-11-2013 2:09 PM

The lady who helped me said that was the rule. Never heard anything like that before, so I thought I'd share for those of you buying there in the future.

paul0660 02-11-2013 2:11 PM

So say you have one. They make stuff up, so can you.

jonc 02-11-2013 2:13 PM

Made me buy a lock for a striped lower!

Oldmandan 02-11-2013 2:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joetotoroto (Post 10499654)
I was at Turner's at 11 this morning and it took 1/2 an hour to ask if they had any forged lowers, there were only like 6 customers in the store. I will not be visiting this store again ever.

Took me 70 mins. just to pick up. I had to wait about 15 minutes to be helped, the rest of the time I was just waiting for them to figure out what their doing? Store was pretty empty when I left, maybe 3 people.

Oldmandan 02-11-2013 2:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul0660 (Post 10499685)
So say you have one. They make stuff up, so can you.

I did, she asked me if it was keyed or a combo. I said keyed...

She said, Oh you have to buy a lock. Only the combo ones count for the affidavit.

ke6guj 02-11-2013 2:18 PM

Quote:

is this the form they presented to you, http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pd...rms/gsaff.pdf? , or was it a Turner's-specific form?

if you safe is UL-listed, it can be a keyed-safe, that is covered under #1. #2 on the other hand does not seem to allow for keyed-safes.

readysetgo 02-11-2013 2:19 PM

The affidavit is pretty specific, either you do or you don't, if you don't have a qualifying safe or DOJ certified lock box you won't be able to legitimately use the affidavit. Why the outrage? Have you even read the affidavit?

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pd...orms/gsaff.pdf

ke6guj 02-11-2013 2:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVSmith (Post 10499602)
Why would they care? What is their justification? Did they say?

read the affidavit, it states what is acceptable. An unlisted keyed safe doesn't appear to be acceptable under option #2.

paul0660 02-11-2013 2:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldmandan (Post 10499744)
I did, she asked me if it was keyed or a combo. I said keyed...

She said, Oh you have to buy a lock. Only the combo ones count for the affidavit.

Well............enjoy the locks. If it happens again, please dig a little deeper into her understanding, ie., is it store policy, does she think it is the law, etc., because she is full of it, possibly without knowing it. I know they have you over a barrel at that point, but it is bs.

paul0660 02-11-2013 2:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ke6guj (Post 10499764)
is this the form they presented to you, http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pd...rms/gsaff.pdf? , or was it a Turner's-specific form?

if you safe is UL-listed, it can be a keyed-safe, that is covered under #1. #2 on the other hand does not seem to allow for keyed-safes.

It says blah blah minimum combo combo safe is ok. It does not address keyed at all. Keys are good, I have lots of them.

Oldmandan 02-11-2013 2:30 PM

I called the store mgr for clarification. His name is Mike. He said it's gotta be thick wall steel safe with a combo.

Turner's uses their own form that is very simple, it just asks for model number and brand.

What the H do you guys do with all these locks? I have a bunch still in the packaging. What else are they good for? Only one I'd keep is the Ruger, since it's a padlock type.

madoka 02-11-2013 3:20 PM

Do Turner's salespeople work on commission?

I've gotten to know who is going to force me to buy one of their locks by making up rules on the fly and who'll just let me go.

Ed_Hazard 02-11-2013 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madoka (Post 10500452)
Do Turner's salespeople work on commission?

I've gotten to know who is going to force me to buy one of their locks by making up rules on the fly and who'll just let me go.

No commision at Turner's.

Next time dont answer questions and fill in the paperwork accordingly.

paul0660 02-11-2013 3:31 PM

Quote:

He said it's gotta be thick wall steel safe with a combo.
oldmandan...............start getting cranky. How thick, why a combo. Jeez some of you guys give up easy.

as for the locks, hang on to them. Some day the latest high school fashion is going to be these locks as necklaces.

NOT KIDDING

readysetgo 02-11-2013 4:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul0660 (Post 10500566)
How thick, why a combo.

This thick:
Quote:

The exterior walls shall be constructed of a minimum 12gauge thick steel for a single-walled safe, or the sum of the steel walls shall add up to at least .100 inches for safes with two walls. Doors shall be constructed of a minimum one layer of 7-gauge steel plate reinforced construction or at least two layers of a minimum 12-gauge steel compound construction.
A combo, cause it says so :rolleyes::
Quote:

Shall have a locking system consisting of at minimum a mechanical or electronic combination lock. The mechanical or electronic combination lock utilized by the safe shall have at least 10,000 possible combinations consisting of a minimum three numbers, letters, or symbols.
It also says blah blah blah! :43:

Can't speak to some weak sauce form Turner's came up with but the actual affidavit is pretty clear, at least to me.

Trickracen 02-11-2013 5:03 PM

This safe policy is not new, I remember that they had it last summer when I purchased a few lowers.

Master Blaster 02-11-2013 6:56 PM

You can have a cabneit. You just have to bring the receipt.

Ever think it takes a while for them to get your stuff might be because yours isn't the only box back there.

Oldmandan 02-11-2013 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Blaster (Post 10502996)
Ever think it takes a while for them to get your stuff might be because yours isn't the only box back there.

^Troll

This wasn't my first rodeo guy

monk 02-11-2013 7:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Master Blaster (Post 10502996)
You can have a cabneit. You just have to bring the receipt.

I didn't need a receipt. They just wanted make and model.

TheHammerOfTruth 02-11-2013 9:20 PM

[QUOTE=Master Blaster;10502996]You can have a cabneit. You just have to bring the receipt.

Winner winner! This is the bottom half of the CA DOJ form (already been down this road)

Affidavit Stating Ownership of a DOJ-Certified Lock Box
(This affidavit applies only to lock boxes listed on the Roster of Firearms Safety Devices Certified for Sale and is not valid for any other type of firearms safety device. Firearms Dealer: This affidavit is only valid when accompanied by a receipt.)I own and possess a _________________________ ________________________ lock box that is listed on the
(Make) (Model)
Roster of Firearms Safety Devices Certified for Sale that will accommodate the firearm(s) I am taking delivery of on ________________. The DOJ-certified lock box was not presented at the time the firearm was acquired
(Date)
because the lock box was permanently affixed at some other location or too large and/or heavy to present at the time of acquisition. I declare under penalty of perjury that all statements made in this affidavit are true and complete.
(Signature) (Date)

far from tactical 02-12-2013 12:02 PM

What I did was that I just bought the locks for turners and came back the next day and returned them no questions ask .. Or just go and buy them at Walmart and return them

CSACANNONEER 02-12-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonc (Post 10499712)
Made me buy a lock for a striped lower!

So, they followed the law and you're complaining?

oppe4021 02-12-2013 4:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldmandan (Post 10499899)
Turner's uses their own form that is very simple, it just asks for model number and brand.

That's all the lady who helped me with my 2 lowers at the Norwalk Turners asked for. Nothing about it being a keyed or combo safe.

hkuspcomp 02-13-2013 8:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldmandan (Post 10503169)
^Troll

This wasn't my first rodeo guy

So I take it you've been back there looking for guns yourself? Did you ever ask why it took so long to find it? I asked when I picked mine up @ Reseda. They said that they had over 200 lowers stacked in there. Ever since this latest gun craze, they've been overflowing with guns. So it would take a while to find your gun. As for your safe, if it doesn't fall under either of the 2 categories then you're SOL. The form they use is not something they made up on their own.

HPGunner 02-13-2013 2:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldmandan (Post 10499899)
I called the store mgr for clarification. His name is Mike. He said it's gotta be thick wall steel safe with a combo.

What the H do you guys do with all these locks? I have a bunch still in the packaging. What else are they good for? Only one I'd keep is the Ruger, since it's a padlock type.

The cable locks make good .22lr targets. You can hang them off the cross bar of a target stand and shoot .22lr at it and make them spin. Pretty fun. They are heavy duty enough to take a beating and last like a dozen direct hits.

paul0660 02-13-2013 2:53 PM

Quote:

the actual affidavit is pretty clear, at least to me.
And since my Stack on cabinet with key is actually ON the approved list, it seems that keyed is ABOVE the "minimum" required.

So, it's bs.

DIRTMAN556 02-16-2013 6:31 PM

Big 5 uses this affidavit as well.

H2H 02-16-2013 6:36 PM

Turners is known for spreading FUDs..their staff is far from being knowledgeable.

Master Blaster 02-16-2013 10:32 PM

^^^^Armpits and a...... Everyone's got them and most are stinky

genesis121 02-19-2013 4:10 PM

Just walk back in a return the cable locks after you pick up your gun....

Youngearth 02-19-2013 4:21 PM

A safe that uses a key is a no-go, but a padlock with a key is OK? Nice......

reddogg 02-19-2013 6:51 PM

The Stack On 8 gun cabinets are DOJ approved. They sell them at Turners.

small hole shooter 03-01-2013 7:10 PM

Quote:

On my last purchase i just marked No, it is not approved and took home my rifle. Later i went to a local Safe company and they had no idea what a California approved safe was. Gotta love it.

AKSOG 03-06-2013 1:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul0660 (Post 10524238)
And since my Stack on cabinet with key is actually ON the approved list, it seems that keyed is ABOVE the "minimum" required.

So, it's bs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reddogg (Post 10585033)
The Stack On 8 gun cabinets are DOJ approved. They sell them at Turners.

The stack on cabinets are not considered a safe so you can only fill out the affidavit within 30 days of purchase with receipt I believe. The DOJ approval really means very little when it comes to what qualifies a safe from a cabinet. I went through that headache and ended up having to buy locks. Needless to say I just picked up a real safe after that

cpiaaq 03-06-2013 1:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed_Hazard (Post 10500504)
No commision at Turner's.

Next time dont answer questions and fill in the paperwork accordingly.

I asked a salesman about commission and this is what he told me. They don't get commission, but they get something called "turners bucks" which they can use as store credit.

paul0660 03-06-2013 1:56 PM

Quote:

so you can only fill out the affidavit within 30 days of purchase with receipt I believe.
I believe. actually means "I don't know so please don't check."

Please stop wasting our time. I would say our air as well but Kes doesn't control that.

No difference between an approved cabinet or safe. There probably should be. Turners is full of it. A keyed lock is perfectly ok. If you roll over for Turners expect to get rolled over a lot.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MtBd0zcTpr...-main_Full.jpg

AKSOG 03-06-2013 2:39 PM

Here you go. Hope this meets the criteria for "not wasting your time"

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=708735

Stack on cabinets are certified as lock boxes not gun safes. Lock boxes are a separate portion of the affidavit and only good for 30 days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarian (Post 10603479)
No - the Stack-on boxes are, afaik, not UL-RSC rated - they're just certified to the state as meeting the standards for a 'lock box', which are NOT the standards for a 'safe' you found at http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/gunsafe

A 'lock box' is defined as "“Lock box” means an FSD that fully contains and encloses the firearm(s)."

The standards for an FSD - Firearms Safety Device - are That's what the Stack-on models (or all of them of which I am aware) meet.

The Liberty and Fort Knox and Amsec folks don't submit their devices to the state for testing; often they submit them to Underwriters Laboratories to get a UL certification for safes or for Residential Security Containers - which the state says satisfies the requirement for safes.

And you NEVER have to keep a gun in a safe or lock box, or keep a 'safety device' on it. There are a few circumstances where negligently allowing a minor to take a gun would give you problems, but if you choose to carry your handgun in a holster on your belt while you are at home, that, too, would ordinarily prevent unauthorized access to your gun - no 'safety device' required.

From the CODJ Website

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/ab106faqs

Quote:

When must a lock box affidavit be completed?

An affidavit is not needed if (1) the lock box is purchased at the same time as the firearm or (2) the firearm is delivered within 30 days of the date on the lock box receipt and the lock box is presented at the time of delivery. For subsequent purchases, the recipient must sign a lock box affidavit and provide a receipt for the lock box; however in this case the date of the receipt does not matter and the lock box does not need to be presented.