Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Survival and Preparations (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=297)
-   -   What's in your car kit? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=726263)

Gabriel80 03-17-2013 11:13 AM

What's in your car kit?

2 Attachment(s)
In lieu of redundancy here, I'd like to focus on what's in the trunk for your emergency kit.

I have the standard home BoB and nice rations for Bug-in I also have a great little EDC kit built into the MaxPed FR1 pouch that I throw in my urban EDC backpack.

However last night I bought an Outdoor Cases type 30 (similar to a pelican style briefcase). I'm trying to piece together an inbetween size kit to leave in the car when I'm out of the house, something that can all fit in this airtight, watertight, dust tight hard case.

So far I've added in
A brick of that nasty food ration emergency bar thing
4 packets of those 5yr shelf life emergency water pouches
2 tekk face masks (not the dust masks the ones for chemical odor)
A pair of large rubber dish type gloves
A pair of leather work gloves
1 SOL 2 person survival blanket
2 cheap rain ponchos
2 glow sticks
1 mildly powerful headlamp with unused AAA batteries
1 emergency battery operated 911 phone with unused LiIon AA battery
Some rope
A Mini-Bic lighter
Small roll of duct tape and smaller amount of electrical tape (wrapped around lighter)
4 1L water purification tablets
2 body/hand Warmers
Signal mirror
Garbage bag
Jumbo sharpie marker

What am I missing? I am thinking some sort of portable water bag like a platypus, what else would be good?

As for the first aid I have a fairly large kit I keep in the car but might start thinking about incorporating it inside this case (so damn hot in SoCal everything seems to get compromised in the hot car!). This box is supposed to have sort of climate control capability.

All the suggestions appreciated!

Attachment 215642

Attachment 215641

GeeDog 03-17-2013 11:21 AM

Hand-cranked / no batteries required transistor radio. If you have to leave the car you'll still want to know what's happening.

madland 03-19-2013 1:53 AM

When you say a Car Kit...I'm thinking more along the lines of things you should have in the car at all times that stay in the car.
Small tool bag with assorted hand tools..
Screwdrivers/Phillips
Pliers
Wrenches
Wire cutters
Roll of elec tape
Superglue
Measuring tape
Paracord
Hammer (I keep a FatMax bar which doubles as a hammer and a pry bar)
Flares
Jumper cables
Signaling light
Tow strap
Bottle of slime
Small air compressor that plugs into cigarette lighter
Rain gear/baseball hat
Beanie
Extra shoes/socks
Work gloves
Nitrile gloves
Flashlight(s)
Maps
Hand sanitizer
Wipes
Bag of sunflower seeds
Old RX bottle with Tylenol/Motrin/Immodium/allergy meds in glove box
First aid kit is in GHB
I keep a rope bag with 100ft of rope..carabeeners,8-plate,webbing attached to it.
I know I'm forgetting to list some stuff in there....

These are all items that never leave the car..other essential items are in my GHB.
My .02

wpage 03-19-2013 3:12 AM

Trail mix and 70% chocolate bars are good for any kit...

19hugeracks57 03-19-2013 6:18 AM

Survival Hatchet DOES EVERY THING

laabstract 03-19-2013 6:58 AM

Try a Prybar, in a earth quake you can use it to move debris or as a melee weapon in a civil unrest or riot situation.

bigguns85 03-19-2013 7:02 AM

Dont forget a radio to communicate to your family that your huffing it home in case the cell towers go out. Communication is key ;)

gemoose23 03-19-2013 7:07 AM

snow shovel (collapsible)
gloves, 2 sets insulated work gloves and plain ol snowboarding gloves.

If i can't dig my self out.. I walk back home... my worst case is I am about 12 miles from home, I always leave with an extra jacket on the days/nights I am driving in bad weather.

cdtx2001 03-19-2013 7:15 AM

If you don't already have a few, road flares.

Great fire starters or use for signaling. Also, larger critters don't like fire waved at them.

chiefcrash 03-19-2013 7:25 AM

WHERE IN GOD'S NAME IS YOUR KNIFE?

Seriously, even if you EDC a good folder, a trunk kit is a good place for a straight bladed knife. I keep a KaBar in mine...

I also throw in a can of pepper spray (since I don't want to deal with "trunk gun" legalities right now)

I'd also throw in a change of clothes and boots. If you're like me, you're likely to be in work clothes when/if you need to hoof it home. Depending on what you wear to work, that might be a problem (I'm not hiking in Oxfords...)

Decoligny 03-19-2013 8:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wpage (Post 10849893)
Trail mix and 70% chocolate bars are good for any kit...

For SoCal, chocolate bars in the trunk of the car do not do that well.

There is a company that makes 4 oz pieces of chocolate that have been sealed in wax that are air tight and basically weather proof.

Wouldn't be too hard to make your own using some cheese wax. Just have to start with really cold chocolate so it doesn't melt into the hot wax when dipped.

email 03-19-2013 8:10 AM

A large plastic sheet
rope
lye
duct tape
lawn darts
ski mask

and a sharpened shovel.

Gabriel80 03-19-2013 8:56 AM

Super good advice, thanks so much!

Yeah this would be a box I leave in the trunk. I suppose more emergency on the road, and less of a GHB. The food thing is tough- Not sure how well the seals really are ay climate control. So damn hot around L.A. everything seems like it would spoil.

Love the idea of adding tools, definitely a must have addition.

Been on the fence about weapons. Believe me, i own plenty, LOL- this is CalGuns!!! But what am I going to do with Pepper Spray in the trunk? Get out of the car, open the trunk, dig around this box and mace somebody?? Not sure about the knife either, maybe just throw in a multi-tool with a decent blade and that could cover the screwdrivers element.

Radio is a must have. Road flares, clothes, good call!

Ski Mask?!?! HAHAHAHAH!!!

@madlight - bottle of slime?!? Wha?

thanks CalGunners!!

yelohamr 03-19-2013 9:29 AM

My last trip to Mexico, about 20 years ago, I learned how hot it can get inside of a truck tool box. It got so hot, the caps on 1 gallon water jugs blew off.

C&Rtrader 03-22-2013 9:26 PM

If this kit is to get you back home.. consider a backpack instead of a brief case. backpack with a water bladder is even better.

also a change of clothes. good walking shoes etc. extra socks. I don't want to walk 30+ miles home in hard soled dress shoes and slacks.

Might want some goggles to go with the tekk masks.

compass and road maps don't hurt either.

advil or the like if you plan on walking several miles.

PrepperThyAngus 03-24-2013 1:01 PM

A lot of your items are great for getting your *** back home or survival. But let's face it...Do you really want to abandon your precious vehicle? Hell no.

If your a little bit mechanically inclined, then I suggest you put some extra tools that will actually get your vehicle back on the road too. What are the most common vehicle issues that leave you stranded?

Flat tire, overheating, out of fuel, fuel leak, coolant leak, to name a few.

On long trips, I always bring some extra tools to repair my car if need be. Extra water for drinking or for coolant. Extra fuel, extra hose clamps for cooling and fuel system. A razor blade for cutting and repairing hoses, a can of fix a flat, and of course some sockets, wrenches, and basic tools.

Gabriel80 03-24-2013 9:17 PM

Yeah it's more of a "stay in the car" type kit. When I plan on not abandoning my vehicle.

Great suggestions!! Thank you

paul0660 03-24-2013 9:19 PM

AAA card.

Skoonie 03-25-2013 1:33 PM

If the kit is meant to get you home without your car i would think a backpack would draw a bit less attention.

sixoclockhold 03-25-2013 2:17 PM

If it was a nuke, the last thing you want to do is walk. Hunker down and find thick shelter. 2' of water, 3' of loose soil or 2' compacted, 3.3 inches of steel, 18" of concrete, mass, think mass, seal cracks with duct tape. This will drop the radiation to 1/10 of what you would normally get. Every hour that passes the radiation is less and less, 2 days you should be good to go for walking but hopefully the opposite direction of ground zero.

mikenewgun87 04-09-2013 10:05 AM

6 MREs
8 protein bars
1 Gallon of Water
48 oz of Gatorade
Chemlights
Tarps
blanket
10ft 550 cord
roll of duct tape
2 flash lights
extra batteries
knife
fix-a-flat
jumper cables
extra fuel can
sweatshirt
cold weather jacket
map
sunglasses (normal and polarized)

I know I still need more items, but that is all I can scroung up on Obamacare....

kaligaran 04-09-2013 11:04 AM

I'll take pictures later on. But I have an SUV so I was able to fit a lot under my backseat.

But off top of my memory:
My EDC bag stays with me (see EDC thread for contents).
Under backseat:
An inverter
Flares
Two sleeping bags - US modular military with bivy (I commute with another)
Poncho liner
Fixed blade knife
Extra set of clothes
Old surplus coat
Two large roadside flares
Tool kit
Jumper cables
Rope and Paracord
Tie down straps and bungee cords
5g bucket in back that holds random little stuff
My CERT backpack with normal CERTy stuff
small Stanley Fubar
candles
TP in water tight bag
extra Bic lighter
pens/sharpie and notebooks
usb charger that plugs into cig lighter
extra lightweight poncho
Lots of zip ties
Duct tape roll
yard/utility type gloves
siphon tubing (about 10 feet long)

I know I have more but I can't remember it all off of the top of my head.
Basically I have a bin of stuff I've bought and have a ton of duplicates. So I made my kit using extra stuff and added to it roadside emergency stuff.

San Diego Gun Nut 04-09-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefcrash (Post 10850663)
WHERE IN GOD'S NAME IS YOUR KNIFE?

Seriously, even if you EDC a good folder, a trunk kit is a good place for a straight bladed knife. I keep a KaBar in mine...

I also throw in a can of pepper spray (since I don't want to deal with "trunk gun" legalities right now)

I'd also throw in a change of clothes and boots. If you're like me, you're likely to be in work clothes when/if you need to hoof it home. Depending on what you wear to work, that might be a problem (I'm not hiking in Oxfords...)

+1 on a good fixed blade knife.

Gabriel80 04-09-2013 2:54 PM

where can one get flares, any Auto Zone or Pep Boys type store?

email 04-09-2013 2:59 PM

Add a coat hanger and lawn darts.

(thank me later)

kaligaran 04-09-2013 3:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel80 (Post 11045170)
where can one get flares, any Auto Zone or Pep Boys type store?

I got mine at walmart in their marine section. I'm assuming any of the stores you mentioned would have them as well.

There are camping flares in the camping section but those are really for emergency signalling and not the kind you light and lay down on the road if broken down since they won't last as long.

fredridge 04-09-2013 3:06 PM

why?

Quote:

Originally Posted by email (Post 11045217)

(thank me later)

mindwip 04-09-2013 7:10 PM

I have no problem leaving my car for the thousands I have paid on my car the insurance company can replace it vs heading home sooner.

socal147 04-09-2013 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixoclockhold (Post 10912061)
If it was a nuke, the last thing you want to do is walk.

Right. Raise your hands and smile at the flash.

tacksman 04-09-2013 7:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by email (Post 11045217)

(thank me later)

+1. universal as hell.

BCDavis 04-18-2013 1:22 PM

Obviously we all have survival stuff at home.

The car kit should be a pretty complete survival kit, because the reason you would use it, is because you were out doing an errand, or at work, or on vacation, when SHTF, and you can't get home, and have to rely on your car kit. So yes, it should be something portable, like a backpack. You may need to leave your car at some point, and walk home, or walk to the mountains, etc. So you might indeed need weapons, food, etc. You can fit a lot in the trunks of most cars...

Ervb44 04-18-2013 8:22 PM

survival backpack
44 magnum
100 mag rounds
.22lr handgun
minium of 500 .22 rounds
rambo survival knife
large maglite
320 lumen fenix light
lots of spare batteries
spare clothes,socks, pants, shoes,underwear etc
battery handheld radio
canned food,chicken,spam,tuna,etc
12 12oz water bottles
granola bars
beef jerky
medical kit,first aid kit
my medecine
bolt cutters
leathermen
taser
pepperspray
pen
paper
lighter
raincoat
skimask
Asthma meds
Pain meds
brass knuckles
gloves
saftey glasses
belt
multitool hatchet,hammer,crobar
german nato sleeping bag,has hood and arms is fully zip up you can run around shooting your rifle while wearing it

Dano3467 04-24-2013 11:00 AM

Car kit humm. have two bag, with every thing you need to make it 3 days.

Complete change of cloths, shoes,
3 days food & water
knife, tools, jackets emergency gear, para cord
survival necklace, fire start, small pot, banket
power bars, cell charger, e-bankets
and carry a side arm... and a bunch of other stuff. BOY scout...

Gabriel80 04-24-2013 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCDavis (Post 11125877)
Obviously we all have survival stuff at home.

The car kit should be a pretty complete survival kit, because the reason you would use it, is because you were out doing an errand, or at work, or on vacation, when SHTF, and you can't get home, and have to rely on your car kit. So yes, it should be something portable, like a backpack. You may need to leave your car at some point, and walk home, or walk to the mountains, etc. So you might indeed need weapons, food, etc. You can fit a lot in the trunks of most cars...

Yeah this. I just can't drive around and leave firearms in my car. Especially in LA!

Dano3467 04-26-2013 12:39 PM

No fire arm left in car Period !

jpkar 04-27-2013 10:53 AM

gun and knife! If your worried about having your gun stolen that's valid,
just get a cheaper gun that you won't mind losing, and you are allowed to drive in LA with a gun in your trunk that is locked and unloaded

joash 05-03-2013 9:44 AM

There are some hazardous chemicals in road flares. Does anyone know if handling them or storing the can be harmful?

Mexican Musashi 05-08-2013 6:19 PM

I have a whole host of Smittybilt products. They have some emergency products I bought from the site below but I can't seem to find them now.

http://www.4wd.com/parts/smittybilt/...accessory.aspx

Mexican Musashi 05-08-2013 6:20 PM

Here is the flashlight I recently bought

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Lighting-Jee...pn=S%2fBL-1408

Mexican Musashi 05-08-2013 6:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabriel80 (Post 10834892)
In lieu of redundancy here, I'd like to focus on what's in the trunk for your emergency kit.

I have the standard home BoB and nice rations for Bug-in I also have a great little EDC kit built into the MaxPed FR1 pouch that I throw in my urban EDC backpack.

However last night I bought an Outdoor Cases type 30 (similar to a pelican style briefcase). I'm trying to piece together an inbetween size kit to leave in the car when I'm out of the house, something that can all fit in this airtight, watertight, dust tight hard case.

So far I've added in
A brick of that nasty food ration emergency bar thing
4 packets of those 5yr shelf life emergency water pouches
2 tekk face masks (not the dust masks the ones for chemical odor)
A pair of large rubber dish type gloves
A pair of leather work gloves
1 SOL 2 person survival blanket
2 cheap rain ponchos
2 glow sticks
1 mildly powerful headlamp with unused AAA batteries
1 emergency battery operated 911 phone with unused LiIon AA battery
Some rope
A Mini-Bic lighter
Small roll of duct tape and smaller amount of electrical tape (wrapped around lighter)
4 1L water purification tablets
2 body/hand Warmers
Signal mirror
Garbage bag
Jumbo sharpie marker

What am I missing? I am thinking some sort of portable water bag like a platypus, what else would be good?

As for the first aid I have a fairly large kit I keep in the car but might start thinking about incorporating it inside this case (so damn hot in SoCal everything seems to get compromised in the hot car!). This box is supposed to have sort of climate control capability.

All the suggestions appreciated!

Attachment 215642

Attachment 215641

That is a pretty good list. I never thought about the purification tablets. I would add a bivy sack and/or a tube tent in case you end up having to travel long distances on foot as well.