Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Concealed Carry Discussion (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Repeat attempt for Ventura CCW (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=880904)

insidetheten 01-17-2014 8:39 AM

Repeat attempt for Ventura CCW

Applied for a CCW in Ventura County and was denied (no reason given) a little over a year ago. Going to jump into the process again. I have a clean record, CCWs for UT, AZ, FL, OR. Can anyone offer any advice? Any info is much appreciated! THANKS!

insidetheten 01-20-2014 10:29 AM

Has anyone gone through the process in Ventura Co lately?

jonathan50bmg 01-21-2014 8:43 PM

It boils down to your good cause statement. You should try to find out the reason for denial, if at all possible.

insidetheten 01-22-2014 1:07 PM

I did try to find out the reason for denial. Sheriff's dept wouldn't give one. This was a little over a year ago. Now I understand they have to give you a reason for denial. True? Curious as to what the approval percentage is in Ventura County, if it is any better than a year ago.

jonathan50bmg 01-22-2014 4:53 PM

You can ask Maria what the approval percentage is nowadays. She's really nice and is always helpful. I wouldn't give up. I was denied intitially without any reason. I then called up a high rank member of the department on the telephone and plead my case. They ultimately granted me the permit. Be thorough with your words.

BiasCB 01-30-2014 8:59 AM

I would like to know the outcome of this. I will be moving back to Ventura County this year and will be looking into getting a CCW there.

Decoligny 01-30-2014 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidetheten (Post 13223964)
Applied for a CCW in Ventura County and was denied (no reason given) a little over a year ago. Going to jump into the process again. I have a clean record, CCWs for UT, AZ, FL, OR. Can anyone offer any advice? Any info is much appreciated! THANKS!

Under CA Penal Code they are required to provide you with the specific reason from the departments published policy as to why the determination for denial was made.

This is not a "new requirement". If they are refusing to tell you why you were denied last year, they are in violation of PC 26202.

26202. Upon making the determination of good cause pursuant to Section 26150 or 26155, the licensing authority shall give written notice to the applicant of the licensing authority's determination. If the licensing authority determines that good cause exists, the notice shall inform the applicants to proceed with the training requirements specified in Section 26165. If the licensing authority determines that good cause does not exist, the notice shall inform the applicant that the request for a license has been denied and shall state the reason from the department's published policy, described in Section 26160, as to why the determination was made.

VictorFranko 01-30-2014 10:40 AM

Are you one of Geoff's buddies? :p

Usually in the denial letter they give the reason such as "you are being denied for lack of good cause" (pretty sure that's what mine said).

Josh3239 01-30-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VictorFranko (Post 13323737)
Are you one of Geoff's buddies? :p

The corruption is thick over here. A certain high ranking Sheriff knows a very close family member to me, and claimed to my family member that he is the one who denied my application because he "didn't see a reason to give me one." I have no points on my license, zero criminal history, work at an 01 FFL, gave the VCSD a copy of my 03 FFL, A&D, COE, CA certification as a Handgun Safety Certificate Instructor and DD214. The Detective assigned to my case said I should be an easy candidate for one. Again, a family member of mine knows all the higher ups in VCSD and I've met one, they all know who I am. They still denied me.

Just found out about this story this morning. I am so f-n pissed off by the amount of arrogance and corruption.

VictorFranko 01-30-2014 4:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh3239 (Post 13324150)
The corruption is thick over here. A certain high ranking Sheriff knows a very close family member to me, and claimed to my family member that he is the one who denied my application because he "didn't see a reason to give me one." I have no points on my license, zero criminal history, work at an 01 FFL, gave the VCSD a copy of my 03 FFL, A&D, COE, CA certification as a Handgun Safety Certificate Instructor and DD214. The Detective assigned to my case said I should be an easy candidate for one. Again, a family member of mine knows all the higher ups in VCSD and I've met one, they all know who I am. They still denied me.

Just found out about this story this morning. I am so f-n pissed off by the amount of arrogance and corruption.

Don't tell anybody, but I voted for the "other guy".

insidetheten 02-24-2014 2:27 PM

Getting my application filled out for my second try, and would like some input from others on a GC statement. I would like to list just "Self defense and defense of family members". GTG? Any suggestions and/or advice is most welcome!!

Librarian 02-24-2014 4:36 PM

Shorter yet - 'lawful self defense'

insidetheten 02-25-2014 9:28 AM

"Lawful Self Defense" actually sounds the best to me. Any advice on what to say when asked to explain? How much detail to go into? Again, ANY constructive advice is most welcome!!

Carnivore 02-25-2014 11:51 PM

A buddy of mine got his CCW under a different Ventura sheriff and his reasons were that he is a licensed realtor and showed houses to strangers, he carried larger amounts of money from time to time for possible self defense if absolutely necessary and he "just wanted to be legal". When asked in the face to face what that meant he said that he wanted to make sure when going to the range, or transporting a firearm or showing a house on private property that he was legal to carry and didn't do the wrong thing. They accepted it. Don't know if that would work now but he has had it for 14 years now with no problem.

insidetheten 02-26-2014 6:53 PM

Went to the Sheriff's Dept today to drop off my application. Clerk was polite and professional. She went over my app several times to make sure I had everything I needed. App was GTG. Told her I had already been fingerprinted for the first app, and showed her the receipt. At that point it went from new app to review of a denial. I don't know what that means, but I hope it's not going to be an issue, or push my chance of an interview back behind "newapps". All in all, a very pleasant experience. Hoping for the best. Clerk said just wait for the call for the interview. Said they were swamped, so just be patient. I thought it was a good experience.

19K 02-26-2014 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidetheten (Post 13535782)
Went to the Sheriff's Dept today to drop off my application. Clerk was polite and professional. She went over my app several times to make sure I had everything I needed. App was GTG. Told her I had already been fingerprinted for the first app, and showed her the receipt. At that point it went from new app to review of a denial. I don't know what that means, but I hope it's not going to be an issue, or push my chance of an interview back behind "newapps". All in all, a very pleasant experience. Hoping for the best. Clerk said just wait for the call for the interview. Said they were swamped, so just be patient. I thought it was a good experience.

Hmmmm. I don't have my receipt but I was denied 2 years ago. I wonder if it'll go to the same. My appointment is in 2 weeks.

racer_X_123 02-27-2014 7:54 AM

My fear is that when asked to elaborate on "personal defense" and I say something along the lines of wanting to protect myself while out and about etc. they will deny me.

I still am concerned that "Good Cause" is going to play a roll in all of this and we are just going to have a bunch of denials on our hands

19K 02-27-2014 9:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_X_123 (Post 13539162)
My fear is that when asked to elaborate on "personal defense" and I say something along the lines of wanting to protect myself while out and about etc. they will deny me.

I still am concerned that "Good Cause" is going to play a roll in all of this and we are just going to have a bunch of denials on our hands

In the statement that was out out on the 24th I believe it said that self defense would be a satisfactory answer in accordance with the courts decision.

19K 02-27-2014 9:29 AM

http://www.vcsd.org/pdf/26160_CCW_po...ded022114A.pdf

racer_X_123 02-27-2014 9:56 AM

I have read that a bunch of times... I guess I am getting hung up on the word "need"

The "need" for personal safety of self defense... I can see the interviewer asking the question

"Why do you "NEED" a CCW now, when for the last some-odd-years you have managed to make it this far without one?"

Librarian 02-27-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidetheten (Post 13522022)
"Lawful Self Defense" actually sounds the best to me. Any advice on what to say when asked to explain? How much detail to go into? Again, ANY constructive advice is most welcome!!

The whole point of the Peruta decision is that no further explanation is required.

racer_X_123 02-27-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Librarian (Post 13541002)
The whole point of the Peruta decision is that no further explanation is required.

:jump: :jump: :jump:

Thank you for the clarification!