Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Rimfire Firearms (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=165)
-   -   Rimfire Summer Match (June-July-August) (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=770906)

usmcchet9296 05-30-2013 6:56 PM

Rimfire Summer Match (June-July-August)

Ok first off congrats to the May winners
Scoped Rifle
50 yards JoeGSX 178 (damned fine shooting)
100 yards Izzy Score 50 (Nice shootin TEX)

Irons
25 yards RM1911 Score-129
50 yards USMCCHET Score 89
100 yards USMCCHET Score 51

Pistol Iron
15 yards Izzy Score-95

15 yard Pistol Scoped
Please help me who shot this

Pistol Scoped
15 yard
25 yard

Hey Pistol shooters I may have this wrong please double check

usmcchet9296 06-02-2013 10:17 AM

Ok new for this summer we are going to have a 3 month match
Why you ask?
Just try to find ammo in a store or online.
Nothing to be had
Also Summer is a time when most people are out of town
Rules are as follows
1. You can shoot for every month and be score accordingly
Totals for the month will be posted as normal and counted for yearly total
2. You can forgo shooting every month and post your best score at the end of the 3 month period and the winner will be chosen from the highest shooters score for a prize yet to be announced
3. As much or as little as you want.

usmcchet9296 06-02-2013 10:30 AM

Rifle irons

25 Yard Irons
Take 3 shots at each target (24 total). Center bull is 10, then 9, 8, 7, 6, 5

50 Yard Irons:
See attachment below.
Take 3 shots on each target (red or green) for a total of 6 shots. Center bull is 12, then 10, 9, 8, 7

100 Yard Irons
See attachment below.
Take 5 shots on the target. Center bull is 12, then 10, 9, 8, 7

usmcchet9296 06-02-2013 10:35 AM

Scoped

This time there will be 2 sets of 50 scoped

bringing the one from last month of and the hostage target from the month prior

Take on shot on each target center is 10 then 10, 9, 8, 7

Hostage target score as shown on target

usmcchet9296 06-02-2013 10:37 AM

100 Scoped
New target 5 shots score as shown

usmcchet9296 06-02-2013 10:38 AM

Will post pistol targets later

sando 06-02-2013 4:43 PM

Good job, winners!

10xhobby 06-02-2013 5:54 PM

you missed me

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcchet9296 (Post 11470654)
Ok first off congrats to the May winners
Scoped Rifle
50 yards JoeGSX 178 (damned fine shooting)
100 yards Izzy Score 50 (Nice shootin TEX)

Irons
25 yards RM1911 Score-129
50 yards USMCCHET Score 89
100 yards USMCCHET Score 51

Pistol Iron
15 yards Izzy Score-95

Pistol Scoped
15 yards n/a
25 yards rwojnilo score 49

Hey Pistol shooters I may have this wrong please double check

15 YARD PISTOL OFFHAND 75 adjusted score 96
15 YARD PISTOL BENCH 116 adjusted score 123
25 YARD PISTOL OFFHAND 47
25 YARD PISTOL BENCH 53

25 YARD RIFLE IRONS 125
50 YARD RIFLE IRONS 64
50 YARD RIFLE SCOPED 93 I COULD NOT EVEN SEE THIS TARGET
100 YARD RIFLE IRONS 26
100 YARD RIFLE SCOPED 37

10xhobby 06-02-2013 6:03 PM

This Pistol classes are as follows :
15 yard offhand
15 yard bench rest
25 yard offhand
25 yard bench rest

Thanks for your help in making this adjustment

usmcchet9296 06-02-2013 8:16 PM

Sorry gents I dont shoot pistol so I get lost on the scoring

readysetgo 06-02-2013 8:19 PM

I posted a score for member Madreno that looks like didn't get counted?!?!

Madreno
15yd pistol, offhand - 79

A couple comments:
Threads are looking a little disorganized.
If I had a vote, I'd say run ea. month (don't care either way).
What happened to monthly prizes, referenced here:http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=686429
There was no mention of the three (3) prize categories for May (that I saw) and none for this summer round. Are we in need of prizes or did we just forget?

Don't flame me too much, I don't mean to barge in. Just having some questions. I had some high hopes for these matches. :D

usmcchet9296 06-02-2013 8:24 PM

Pistol targets

15 yard irons use the 50 yard scoped (attached)
15 scoped use the 50 yard hard (attached)

usmcchet9296 06-02-2013 8:25 PM

25 yard scoped and irons use the attached target

usmcchet9296 06-02-2013 8:29 PM

Look gents I was running around today shuttling my son who is graduating this week to get what he needs for graduation. I will score the correct winners for May this week as I have time. The summer match stands as is. Scores will be posted at the end of each month with the grad total being posted at the end August so don't worry about mis-scoring. Izzy as enlisted some volunteers to help us out. No there was no prize target for may but there will be for the Summer match and will be chosen later this week.

Dattebayo 06-02-2013 8:34 PM

Gonna try to make it out to the range tomorrow to get some holes in paper.

Hopefully the summer will be when I'll win a CalGun's T-shirt so I have something to sport when I hit the range!

10xhobby 06-02-2013 9:19 PM

This is my other Project

So at the beginning of May I went to THE FIRING LINE in Clovis to shoot a Pistol match. The first place prize was a AR15 lower receiver, so last weekend I went back to Clovis to pick up my 1st place prize. I have been collecting the various parts I needed to complete a Long Range AR15 rifle for Bench Rest Target shooting. I thought you might like to see it.
Also I would to thank the people at THE FIRING LINE in Clovis for putting on a great Open House and Zombie Shoot and BBQ.

Attachment 238339

Attachment 238340

Attachment 238341

Attachment 238342

Attachment 238343

peterabbits 06-02-2013 9:51 PM

That turned out really nice. I like the carbon fiber Buttstock.

Dattebayo 06-02-2013 10:08 PM

Looks awesome! I am really hoping to put together an AR-10 in the near future!

sando 06-03-2013 5:42 AM

Cool prize! Looks like she'll be a good shooter. Great - now you'll dominate rifle too! :73:

usmcchet9296 06-03-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10xhobby (Post 11494180)
So at the beginning of May I went to THE FIRING LINE in Clovis to shoot a Pistol match. The first place prize was a AR15 lower receiver, so last weekend I went back to Clovis to pick up my 1st place prize. I have been collecting the various parts I needed to complete a Long Range AR15 rifle for Bench Rest Target shooting. I thought you might like to see it.
Also I would to thank the people at THE FIRING LINE in Clovis for putting on a great Open House and Zombie Shoot and BBQ.

Attachment 238339

Attachment 238340

Attachment 238341

Attachment 238342

Attachment 238343

10X what barrel and bolt are you using

Dattebayo 06-03-2013 1:31 PM

I think I may have printed out this months targets for 25 yard irons a little small. I went ahead and shot them anyways, If someone could let me know if they look too small. Thanks!

CZ 452 Trainer w/ BRNO Aperture Sights
Remington Golden Bullets .22LR
25 yard Iron
Score: 204

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...64300381_n.jpg

10xhobby 06-03-2013 3:45 PM

chett, it is a Rock River Arms National Match 223 Wylde chambered 24" long .920 diameter
Young National Match bolt carrier group

peterabbits 06-03-2013 8:48 PM

I shot the 25 yd irons today too. No pictures because I'm sure I can do better with a whole month to go, but I will say I got a 160. It did bring to light one issue that I hope to have remedied however: trying to get a clear sight picture with a black front sight post on a primarily black bullseye is damn near impossible. So, my solution was to paint the front sight post on my 10/22 in glow orange tonight - tomorrow I will see if it makes a difference. And since the paint was out, I painted the front sight ramp on my LCR also - THAT was desperately needed, and made an immediately difference.

10xhobby 06-03-2013 8:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrabbit (Post 11501737)
The 25 yard irons is for Pellet / .177

Come on guys...give my freakin goddamn eyes a freaking break!!!

I'm shooting a Henry AR-7 with a plastic front sight - never mind that the .22 is a wider round.

Please do your homework before posting Rimfire Match targets...

=8-(

guess you should get some better sights ;)

Dattebayo 06-03-2013 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrrabbit (Post 11501737)
The 25 yard irons is for Pellet / .177

Come on guys...give my freakin goddamn eyes a freaking break!!!

I'm shooting a Henry AR-7 with a plastic front sight - never mind that the .22 is a wider round.

Please do your homework before posting Rimfire Match targets...

=8-(

These targets are actually the exact same size as the targets I use for 50 yard 3 position training, shooting at 25 yards. They are about the right size, equal to shooting irons at a 50 yard Olympic target, just reduced for the distance.

Guess I am still a little ways from Olympic shooting with my score :(.

Either way, Aperture sights FTW!
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8468/8...6060a368_c.jpg

10xhobby 06-03-2013 8:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterabbits (Post 11501823)
I shot the 25 yd irons today too. No pictures because I'm sure I can do better with a whole month to go, but I will say I got a 160. It did bring to light one issue that I hope to have remedied however: trying to get a clear sight picture with a black front sight post on a primarily black bullseye is damn near impossible. So, my solution was to paint the front sight post on my 10/22 in glow orange tonight - tomorrow I will see if it makes a difference. And since the paint was out, I painted the front sight ramp on my LCR also - THAT was desperately needed, and made an immediately difference.

do you have any tech sights for your 10/22 ??
when your shooting round bullseye targets you have to have peep or aperture sights, it almost magnifies the bullseye but that is going to be a very challenging target.

10xhobby 06-03-2013 8:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dattebayo (Post 11498440)
I think I may have printed out this months targets for 25 yard irons a little small. I went ahead and shot them anyways, If someone could let me know if they look too small. Thanks!

CZ 452 Trainer w/ BRNO Aperture Sights
Remington Golden Bullets .22LR
25 yard Iron
Score: 204

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...64300381_n.jpg

hey nice job on those targets, welcome to the match

Dattebayo 06-03-2013 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10xhobby (Post 11501924)
hey nice job on those targets, welcome to the match

Thanks a bunch. I'll most likely get more targets in there as this is the normal size targets I shoot for fun at 25 yards. I may end up shooting these full time as they seem to have been able to fit 2 more targets on the paper than my custom made ones.

peterabbits 06-03-2013 9:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10xhobby (Post 11501886)
do you have any tech sights for your 10/22 ??
when your shooting round bullseye targets you have to have peep or aperture sights, it almost magnifies the bullseye but that is going to be a very challenging target.

Yeah I have tech sights on it. And I literally just a few seconds ago went ahead and bought one of those suction cup aperture sights to mount on my glasses like the one you showed me at the open house here in Clovis.

Dattebayo 06-03-2013 9:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterabbits (Post 11501979)
Yeah I have tech sights on it. And I literally just a few seconds ago went ahead and bought one of those suction cup aperture sights to mount on my glasses like the one you showed me at the open house here in Clovis.

A smaller aperture may help you as well depending on how much light you have shooting. My eyes are really sensitive to light so I shoot with really small apertures. My rear aperture is .8 mm and my front aperture is 2.4mm to put it into perspective. It gets tough to shoot targets for me indoor when the color on my printer starts fading. But as long as it is a mostly solid black circle bull, I can hit it.

10xhobby 06-03-2013 9:10 PM

peter
cool, just let me know if I can help

Dattebayo 06-03-2013 10:58 PM

I can understand your frustration Mr.Rabbit, but I believe the rules stated at the beginning of this post was that you could shoot as many times you want during these three months and the best scores will be the runner.

Also, in the rules of this forum tournament, I don't believe it ever said that you can only shoot the target once. To my knowledge you can print the target an indefinite amount of times and throw as many rounds as you want at paper till you get the score you want. Regardless of how many tries you get, this game is still of consistency as with last week, you had to hit 4 targets perfectly in succession. If you shot 3 good targets and 1 bad one, you are still boned from a perfect score.

This week, I feel it has made it more challenging in that there are now 8 targets you have to shoot in perfect succession, without screwing up once, without ruining your score. You can shoot up 10 paper targets and still not get the perfect score you were going for. I shoot targets like this 4 times a week, about 4 hours a session - and let me tell you that if you can score a perfect score on this sheet in any of the 3 positions, you could probably very well qualify for the US Olympic shooting team.

Now at the same time, I don't consider aperture sights "elite" equipment, but rather just another form of sights. Aperture sights come stock on many firearms and actually preferred by the military, as it is historically seen in service rifles. Even then, aperture tech sights are very inexpensive to purchase and probably costs you less than ammo these days.

For the record, my CZ 452 isn't really anything special. Aside from a aftermarket stock and some sights, it is all stock. I have less than $500 invested into it.

peterabbits 06-04-2013 6:23 AM

I guess I always interpreted "as many times as you want" to mean as many times as you want within the confines of the time period of the match, or, in a month. Speaking for myself, I get exactly 20 minutes to shoot when I go (lunch hour minus round trip drive time). That means I have enough time to shoot 8-10 bulls eyes total, depending on how many per page. This month that gives me enough time to shoot 2 targets - no warm ups, not even any review of how I did on one target before I shoot the other. And I'm using a 10/22 from the mid 80's that I got off the forum for $150 - and all I've one to it is detail strip and clean and added tech sights - I'm in it for less than $250. I always viewed the match as a way to give myself "incentive" to improve on my personal abilities, but then again, I've not been in the running yet for top score, nor do I anticipate that to happen in the near future. I guess if its a "one and done" per month, I need to know that so very thing up to what I consider my "best target" will be considered practice and not posted.

Merc1138 06-04-2013 7:18 AM

What a cluster**** of a thread. My thought was "hey, I'll finally have enough time to remember to print the things, and actually remember to take them to the range!".

As far as the elite equipment bit... well yeah if your equipment isn't capable of performing well enough, what do you expect? It doesn't take a high end optic to see any of the scoped targets, as far as irons go plenty of low end rifles come with sights that are better than "crude" from the factory. Since you didn't even specify what type of sights you consider to be "crude", I have to ask... why aren't you using a 6 o'clock hold so you don't cover the entire target with the front sight post then? Also, aperture sights on a $400 rifle is hardly "elite".

http://a.usacarry.co/wp-content/uplo...1/08/SSIB2.jpg

Onto my original question, the 100 yard scoped target is simply listed as a 100 yard scoped target, but the target itself is 100 yards sit/kneel or 50 standing. Is that 100 yards actually sitting or kneeling for it, or is that part being ignored and it's 100 yards however you want?

10xhobby 06-04-2013 7:33 AM

The biggest reason I shoot this match is to improve my own level of Marksmanship, it is not a competition to me. I like to challenge myself with the different types of targets that are used, some are great and some are very difficult but I shoot them anyways. The others shooters here are very good and have been shooting for a long time so I am happy to be able to compare my scores to them to see if I am improving.
The other is the equipment is not as big a deal as most may think, but the more time you spend at the practice range makes the biggest improvement. Better equipment just makes it a little easier. The better shooters can still out shoot me with my own equipment and I'm OK with that it just means I need more practice.
So just out to the range shoot the targets that are provided and I promise you that you shooting skills will improve well beyond your own expectations.

mark 06-04-2013 7:58 AM

my rifle is elitess I wonder if they knew it would be when it was built 70 years ago. mr rabbit if.you dont like the direction the match is going they did ask for volunterrs last month. Rimfirecentral also has a.bunch of.shooting games if you just want to compete against yourself and your own equipment. these targets are.hard for any of us to.see but we try. It is also pretty rude to point out the shooting achievements some of the shooters here have made and pretty much say it was only the gun that did the work they just pointed it.

Izzy43 06-04-2013 8:16 AM

This statement is normally at the end of each month's match announcement: Finally for any questions just drop me a PM and I'll get right back to you. Feel free to also PM me with feedback/complaints/errors I make, etc... These matches are based on “Gentlemen's/Ladie's Honor” so go shoot and have fun.

As I sense some dissatisfaction being voiced about the matches I would encourge anyone who has a problem with the way the match is run, recommendation about targets, how many times a target can be shot or any other way to improve the matches should PM the match co-ordinator with those comments. I have made a number of changes to targets, rules, etc.. based on feedback from shooters. We (the match coordinators) cannot possibly satisfy everyone's desires in these matches but we try to do the best that we can based on our limited knowledge and experience in doing this.

We happily accept any recommendations from all shooters, send us a target that you feel would be good for a particular use in the match. These matches have been going on for several years and have evolved over time from shooting one target to what it is today. There are only two of us running the matches (soon to be three) so our ideas are limited to two or three brains and our experience level.

The matches were intended to be fun, a little challenging and promote shooting as well as develop skills. None of us want these matches to degrade into a frustrating experience.

We try to improve the matches as time passes but please use the PM process to help us improve further. Complaining in this thread will not accomplish anything. Thanks.

Izzy43