-   Wine Country Chapter (
-   -   Plinking on my own property (

twodko 02-15-2017 3:45 PM

Plinking on my own property
Pardon if this question has been answered many times.
I know that we can exercise our 2A on our own county property
but I'm unclear if there is a minimum acreage necessary
to do so. I.e. 2 acre, 5 acre.

I do know you can't shoot over any road and any private
property range has to be oriented in such a way that you're
not shooting towards someone's home.
I'm also wondering about scooping out a "shoot trench"
for lack of a better description thereby creating a safety berm.
Thank you.

Maltese Falcon 02-15-2017 3:56 PM

Google is your friend...see 9.24.010


No person shall discharge any firearm, or discharge or operate any airgun, air rifle, pellet gun, BB gun, slingshot, or other weapon or device capable of hurling a missile with force enough to do bodily injury to persons or damage to property, within one hundred fifty yards of any structure in the city. (Ord. 399-85 2, 1985)

twodko 02-15-2017 4:18 PM

Thank you for that, I'm still digging for more info. I am aware of laws governing
discharging weapons within city limits but I'm asking about doing so on ones
privately owned rural county property.

TheBest 02-15-2017 7:30 PM

Funny that you ask this today, there was an article in the PD yesterday about the questions you asked.

No minimum acreage I know of, you just have to be 150 yards away from what's discussed in the article.

movie zombie 02-15-2017 7:48 PM

looks like your county is way more liberal re rural area shooting.

Inlander Arms 02-16-2017 12:28 AM

Probably a good idea to talk to your neighbors about it, seeing as they're the ones most likely to complain or call the Sheriff. Even if you're legal, this would be the best course of action to take. You might even get some help setting it up! Double the length of your range hehehe.

movie zombie 02-16-2017 9:26 AM

actually, just call the sheriff's office.
I did it in this county and rec'd good help and a referral to a good gun shop as well.
in this county not all unincorporated areas are ok for shooting even if you own the property. a call to the sheriff office will confirm if it is ok but they also have a map at their website that is helpful.
it appears Sonoma County has no such map but i'd still call the sheriff before I started shooting.

twodko 02-16-2017 12:13 PM

You read the same PD article that I did which prompted my question.
Its also good neighbor policy to speak with ones neighbors about it so
they know whats going on and in what direction.
As we all know, in this freaked up state of Kalicommia theres probably a
50/50 chance ones neighbor would be a bleeding heart anti A2 ultra
liberal who is against anything they are not proponents of.

Thank you all for your responses.

pacrat 02-17-2017 8:20 PM

OP, strongly suggest you do a search of all relevant county ordinances.

Talking to neighbors, and local LE also very prudent. You DO NOT want to be the next "Matt Hart".

Sometimes you can do everything in a correct and lawfull manner. And still have a dick drop a turd in your easter basket.

Spyder 02-18-2017 11:53 AM

I live near, in a rural area, and shoot at home fairly often. If I'm doing more than just a couple of rounds for function or pressure or chrono testing, I call the non-emergency SO dispatch number and tell them I'll be target shooting. They'll ask for your name, address, and phone number, and usually an expected period of time you'll be making noise. Never had a problem in the 6 years I've been doing that, though I have much less frequent extended shooting sessions now than I used to.

twodko 02-21-2017 10:48 AM

Thanks Spyder.

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.