Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   guy with a newborn at the range (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=753364)

Gavelek 04-28-2013 2:26 PM

guy with a newborn at the range

Here's a good one, I am walking out from a rifle range, those of you who know the Oak Tree, know that it is a long walk to get back to a parking... so I am passing shotgunners shooting like crazy, and I see a guy walking towards me, which means he is walking towards the rifle range, and he is carrying a BABY in a car seat...the baby has earmuffs and eyes wide open... and the guy is beaming with pride of a young father,
the baby looked few months old, you tell me, would you bring your BABY to a shooting range?

Fortified Peasant 04-28-2013 2:28 PM

No, primarily because of lead in the air... Hearing loss and eye injury would be a second concern even with hearing protection...

Fortified Peasant 04-28-2013 2:31 PM

I use to take my newborn to the driving range though:)

Fortified Peasant 04-28-2013 2:33 PM

Did he have eye pro on the baby?

Bobby Ricigliano 04-28-2013 2:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavelek (Post 11212199)
Here's a good one, I am walking out from a rifle range, those of you who know the Oak Tree, know that it is a long walk to get back to a parking... so I am passing shotgunners shooting like crazy, and I see a guy walking towards me, which means he is walking towards the rifle range, and he is carrying a BABY in a car seat...the baby has earmuffs and eyes wide open... and the guy is beaming with pride of a young father,
the baby looked few months old, you tell me, would you bring your BABY to a shooting range?

No. This is incredibly stupid.

Powder_Keg 04-28-2013 2:34 PM

Yea, not a smart move!

I was in Mammoth 2 weekends ago and a guy had his less than 1 year old (prob closer to 6 month old) strapped to his chest, getting on the chair lift and heading up :eek: I thought it was a gag and it was a doll, but nope. Beautiful little kid strapped to a stupid parent.

Gavelek 04-28-2013 2:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano (Post 11212243)
No. This is incredibly stupid.

I think so too, I wanted to say something but then I just let it go, what can you do...I felt sorry for the baby though

paul0660 04-28-2013 2:52 PM

Quote:

pride of a young father
Pride is when your kid(s) grow up and are worth a darn. Sperm donor? Not very rare.

jonc 04-28-2013 2:55 PM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

GMG 04-28-2013 7:57 PM

A very stupid move by the father IMHO. I would never subjected my kids to that.

covingtonhouse 04-28-2013 8:17 PM

I guess this begs the question.....what is the appropriate age to let yoyr kids accompany ypu or your family to the shooting range? I have taken my 3 and 5 yr olds out to Panoche hills when we go as a family. Granted they are away from the firing line, the line is taped off with red "danger" tape, and they both are required to wear eyes and ears when we have a live firing line. My 5 yr old usually gets a session or two with the daisy bb gun and hes good for the day. I haven't taken either to a public range basically because I'm there to shoot and not babysit. I have seen babies in arms (not armed) out at Los Altos gun club, but never near the line. Personally I wouldn't bring a child that small. But the world is full of 'different' parents.

Ninety 04-28-2013 8:22 PM

how old was the father?

Maybe he is new to shooting and doesn't know or realize the risks.. Lead mainly..

wisefire 04-28-2013 8:34 PM

I consider that stupid as you can't tell if the earmuffs are sufficient enough. What happens if the earmuffs weren't put on correctly and fell off during a shooting session, can you imagine the hearing damage that can occur. Baby at the age are still developing everything, why expose them to live and loud gun shot. What happens if a hot shell get ejected at the baby? To many unknown in my opinion.

PassTheAmmo 04-28-2013 8:54 PM

I may be paranoid, but I have a brand new baby and I won't even hold her after I get home from the range. I want to decontaminate first and get the lead off. Kids supposedly absorb lead much faster than adults. There is a great article about it on corneredkitten.com IIRC.

I take my boys to the range but only outdoors. Not to an indoor facility. If they are there, I'm not shooting at all. I'm 100% dedicated to whichever boy is shooting. I feel like they are old enough to be there when they can take it seriously (safety), stop on a dime (safety), fit into eyes and ears properly (safety), and can refrain from putting their fingers and other objects in their mouths (safety/lead poisoning). There is a trend there.

RomanDad 04-28-2013 8:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covingtonhouse (Post 11214691)
I guess this begs the question.....what is the appropriate age to let yoyr kids accompany ypu or your family to the shooting range?

When theyre old enough to say "dad, the noise is hurting my ears and the earmuffs arent working."

350skylark 04-28-2013 9:03 PM

I wouldn't ever, doesn't matter how many precautions, why take the risk.

Eat Dirt 04-28-2013 9:08 PM

You know ............

People don't even take thier dogs ............
But
This guy takes his newborn

No Way

Intimid8tor 04-28-2013 9:22 PM

Epic fail on the father's part.

XVIga_Rob 04-28-2013 9:41 PM

Saw lots of dogs and a baby (no ear/eye) protection at the range today. Same guy that brought the baby, brought two dogs.

BisDak 04-28-2013 9:49 PM

Fail.

siscokid 04-28-2013 9:56 PM

I've done some pretty stupid things in my life, but nothing like this, EVER!!!... Hopefully baby was ok and nothing horrific happened..

Simply115 04-30-2013 6:48 PM

Well, that's dense. Lead and noise are the two biggest reasons why.

njineermike 04-30-2013 6:57 PM

How about a hearty cup on mind your own damn business?

savannah 04-30-2013 7:03 PM

Excellent post njineermike.

t0kie 04-30-2013 7:03 PM

I wouldn't do that if I were him, but it's his kid so it's on him.

Bulldog1911 04-30-2013 7:07 PM

Idiot!!!

uxo2 04-30-2013 7:21 PM

About as bad as bringing you dog to the firing line

covingtonhouse 04-30-2013 7:59 PM

RSO's actually let this guy stay with not one but three distractions? Was he shooting while holding dogs and kid? Or was it a team effort at introducing distractions?

TML 04-30-2013 8:01 PM

Quote:

You sure he wasn't walking to the restaurant to have some food or a beer?

nothinghere2c 04-30-2013 8:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomanDad (Post 11215039)
When theyre old enough to say "dad, the noise is hurting my ears and the earmuffs arent working."

pretty much my thoughts on it.

Turbinator 05-01-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njineermike (Post 11232514)
How about a hearty cup on mind your own damn business?

I agree with you, but let's not forget that the OP did NOT confront the guy. The OP is merely asking what you think of this practice.

Turby

SNCaliber 05-01-2013 1:51 PM

too soon IMHO, some parents need to take parenting classes

njineermike 05-01-2013 3:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbinator (Post 11237977)
I agree with you, but let's not forget that the OP did NOT confront the guy. The OP is merely asking what you think of this practice.

Turby

And my post was a statement of not only MY opinion, but a commentary on the irony of the fact that we throw fits that anyone else would feel it was appropriate to tell US how to live in the form of gun control, but we feel free to rip someone for something that's 100000% none of our business.

Gavelek 05-01-2013 6:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njineermike (Post 11239460)
And my post was a statement of not only MY opinion, but a commentary on the irony of the fact that we throw fits that anyone else would feel it was appropriate to tell US how to live in the form of gun control, but we feel free to rip someone for something that's 100000% none of our business.

Sorry, I did not want to rip anybody apart, I wanted to post a question: would you bring your newborn to a shooting range...I am not looking for confrontation here...I can post another question; would you leave a loaded gun in the house where kids are present?

njineermike 05-01-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavelek (Post 11240943)
Sorry, I did not want to rip anybody apart, I wanted to post a question: would you bring your newborn to a shooting range...I am not looking for confrontation here...I can post another question; would you leave a loaded gun in the house where kids are present?

If you're not looking for a confrontation, why ask an inflammatory question?

penguinofsleep 05-02-2013 1:22 AM

Quote:

..... and he is carrying a BABY in a car seat...the baby has earmuffs and eyes wide open... and the guy is beaming with pride of a young father,

and stuff like this is part of the reason gun control exists...

StuckInTheP.R.O.Ca 05-02-2013 1:26 AM

Quote:

No. I think my daughter was about five the first time I took her shooting.

SonofWWIIDI 05-02-2013 1:46 AM

Doesn't seem like a smart thing to do.

covingtonhouse 05-02-2013 5:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavelek (Post 11240943)

A gun is useless unless its loaded. But I keep mine locked up because I have kids. I fully agree with full prosecution of someone who allows a child to access a firearm because of owner negligence, stupidity, or whatever else you want to call it. Granted I was allowed to keep my own rifles in my room when I was a teenager, but times havr changed.....

Paper Boy 05-02-2013 5:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RomanDad (Post 11215039)

I agree with this. Sure the baby may cry if the ear pro is not working correctly but that is AFTER damage my all ready be done. Is it really worth it?