Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns LEOs (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Anyone a reserve police officer? (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1365288)

Elbow_Iso31 08-10-2017 1:58 PM

Anyone a reserve police officer?

Hi guys,

Anyone here have experience being a reserve police officer and have gone through the CA P.O.S.T program?

I am registering for Module III.

Mindset is that while I have 3 young daughters and a desire to serve my community, I figure this is a good way to help out and get a snapshot of being LEO.

Redemption 08-10-2017 3:17 PM

My father went through it and I think he had or has reserve status but that was a real long time ago so I don't think any info he has would be relivant anymore.

RudyN 08-10-2017 3:56 PM

I was a Reserve Deputy Sheriff back in the 1970s, so anything from back then would be to old to be of any use.

Sent from the Telegraph Office.

P5Ret 08-10-2017 4:07 PM

What are you attempting to do? Level III is bare minimum, think search and rescue and any other unarmed volunteer type stuff. Level II is reserve officer/deputy detail, armed working under direct supervision. Level I is basically full academy qualified can work unsupervised.

Gun Kraft 08-10-2017 6:48 PM

It depends on the agency. Our department issues full gear to Level IIIs, although they can only do special details (special event security details, prisoner transport, stuff like that). But you really want at least Level II in order to do anything interesting/worthwhile.

Elbow_Iso31 08-10-2017 10:08 PM

Thanks for input guys. Really I just want to lend a helping hand to my community. I have lived in this city since I was a little kid. Not much of the fundraiser or lobbying type and this seemed more up my alley.

I have a pretty good job that puts food on the table and a roof over my family. But just a desire to serve instead of just talking about what should be done.

With that said, I start module iii in September so I guess we will see how far I can go.

Redemption 08-10-2017 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elbow_Iso31 (Post 20493186)
Thanks for input guys. Really I just want to lend a helping hand to my community. I have lived in this city since I was a little kid. Not much of the fundraiser or lobbying type and this seemed more up my alley.

I have a pretty good job that puts food on the table and a roof over my family. But just a desire to serve instead of just talking about what should be done.

With that said, I start module iii in September so I guess we will see how far I can go.

Public service is quite the calling, I wish you the best of luck in that, I hope you go far with it.

mixicus 08-11-2017 7:48 AM

Check with depts you're interested in to see how they view and use their reserves (i.e. duties and required level). Find a reserve program that aligns with your interests.

Elbow_Iso31 08-11-2017 7:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redemption (Post 20493296)
Public service is quite the calling, I wish you the best of luck in that, I hope you go far with it.

Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mixicus (Post 20494055)
Check with depts you're interested in to see how they view and use their reserves (i.e. duties and required level). Find a reserve program that aligns with your interests.

Thanks!

I've read about my home town's reserve program and am reaching out for more information as well.

gorn5150 09-03-2017 1:44 PM

Depending what part of the Bay Area you are in you may want to look at the Contra Costa SO volunteer services. They have 1000+ volunteers with a bunch of different programs. Law Enforcement, Air Squadron, Dive team, SAR, Marine patrol, and Amateur Radio plus Explorers for the youngsters. They have level 1, 2, and 3 positions. In the law enforcement unit they also have off road atv and horse patrol. The helicopter unit also has reserves as observers.

leman77 09-03-2017 5:00 PM

It's really rewarding. I became a level 2 when I was younger to see if I wanted to make a career out of it. I ended up going into federal law enforcement for a few years, then got hired on full time as a police officer. Just make sure you and your family understand the risks involved and support your choice. Good luck!

drew3630 09-06-2017 9:36 PM

I've been a reserve with a large Bay Area PD for 11 years. I did the extended modular academy in Santa Rosa - that's where you go for Tuesday and Thursday evenings and all day Saturday and Sunday. I did level 3/2/1 and it took almost a year. I was single at the time so I didn't have to worry about family. You mentioned you have 3 daughters. You and your family have to realize the time commitment involved, reserves are required by POST to put in a minimum of 16 hours per month to retain their law enforcement status.

In my department, level 3 are issued the same equipment as the regular officers. You can't work patrol but you can work special details like parades, ball games, and community events.

If you're still interested, PM me and I can give you a contact in my department to get you started in the process.

drew3630 09-06-2017 10:20 PM

I should also mention that after completing the academy you still have to pass the same physical, background check, and psych exam as a regular officer. Depending on the department and their priorities, the background check could take months. And as as FYI, where most recruits wash out is in the psych exam.

Elbow_Iso31 09-07-2017 9:33 AM

Even more good stuff!

Thanks all! I started Module III and the class is full of people with Law Enforcement experience. Taking the shut up, listen and learn approach as many have way more experience than me.

Spoke with my wife and kids. They are on board. Wife is very supportive of this decision and kids think its cool that I am doing this even if daddy is away for the 15-20 hours a month additional.

Lots of the POST instructors stories start of pretty close to home for me. same age range and even situation family wise.

Spoke with the officer overlooking the reserves in my city and gave me a run down of what to do for that particular precinct. Would have to complete level 2. Once I am completed and knock on wood pass module 3, I then schedule a ride along and when I start module 2 is when I simultaneously turn in my volunteer paperwork to the city for the reserve role.

code_blue 09-10-2017 12:36 AM

A little late to the game here, but congrats to you and your decision as well as having your family's support. Good luck to you.

As others have mentioned, the program varies by agency. Some agencies pay, others are volunteer only. CA POST specifies which Module qualifies you to perform what functions. It is up to the agency whether or not the level gets to perform those functions. You want to be at least Level II as many agencies aren't even considering Level III, but it seems that you've already acknowledged that.

Module III is very basic, VERY basic and literally teaches you how to drive, park, maneuver, tie your shoes, and shoot from square one. Lifetime fitness doesn't even kick in to Module I. I think it's basically PC832 with additional hours and I don't recall shotguns being used until Module II, but I could be wrong. Night time and combat shooting for sure are not until Module II. You'll also get the rest of LD35 in Module II; the chemical agents portion so enjoy yourself once you get there!

Level II is usually arrestee transport, traffic routing, etc... something that doesn't necessarily put you in direct danger. For the most part, you are supposed to roll with a Level I or a Full-timer to supervise you.

Who knows, eventually you might want to complete Module I. Many agencies are now putting Level I's through field training. Once they've completed, they may roll solo as "designated" Level I's since you will essentially have full-time peace officer abilities, however I am unsure if you will receive your POST Basic Cert this way. Maybe another member can confirm this. This option also gives you the ability to go full-time if the position is offered to you since FT was already completed. The benefit to this route is if you fail FT, you keep your reserve role and try again later instead of getting canned.

There definitely are RO's here on CGN. They're just a bit more "reserved" and don't post often. See what I did there? :shifty: Good luck to you again.

Note for the veteran officers out there, as of 2017, POST has adopted the consolidated testing parameter similar to how colleges function. There will no longer be a test for individual LD's, but a consolidated mid-term exam along with the end of course exam and practical skill tests. Testing will be electronic via laptops and submitted immediately to POST for grading upon completion by each individual recruit. They've also added more mandated hours to specific LD's.

Elbow_Iso31 09-10-2017 8:39 PM

Thanks for Your response!

Yeah goal for me for the time being is level II. Then do my reserve work for a while before even thinking about level I.
I'd love to increase the police presence in my community as we have problems with property crimes particularly in the summer time when schools are out.

There are some high risk areas. But for the most part a presence would do enough to deter.

I was lucky enough to get a copy of the lifetime fitness LD so I can read and discipline myself with fitness.

I'm in decent shape with a tiny bit more to love. I can run and do push-ups or weight train. I also keep up with yearly doctor physicals. The pull ups is a struggle but working on it.

Learning so much and getting more excited as the course goes on. Probably sound like one of those wet behind the ears eager noobies.

code_blue 09-10-2017 9:39 PM

Just an FYI, the LD's change versions frequently and POST holds you to the latest variant regardless if it comes out 2 weeks before your exam.

patriot_man 09-11-2017 3:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elbow_Iso31 (Post 20493186)

I've recently committed to the idea of being a reserve cop and I wish I had seen this thread sooner.

It would've been awesome to be in the module with another Calgunner lol.

ronlglock 09-11-2017 4:11 PM

San Mateo County Sheriff and City of San Bruno are actively recruiting reserves after you complete POST. I am SAR with San Mateo County and we have some very happy reserves.

Elbow_Iso31 09-18-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patriot_man (Post 20634114)
I've recently committed to the idea of being a reserve cop and I wish I had seen this thread sooner.

It would've been awesome to be in the module with another Calgunner lol.

Bummer! Best of luck to you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronlglock (Post 20634325)
San Mateo County Sheriff and City of San Bruno are actively recruiting reserves after you complete POST. I am SAR with San Mateo County and we have some very happy reserves.

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. That is a little bit of a haul for me though.

230infantry 09-19-2017 3:56 PM

don't sweat the modules man. the tests were easy, at least to me. most of it is common sense type stuff. we had a test almost every week in level 2. i got my cert in may and now they're doing the test at the end. its all what you make of it.

1911_sfca 09-20-2017 1:11 AM

Yes, I have been a reserve for the last 10 years. I started as a level 2 in '07 and then went back and did the level I academy part time in 2011 and was appointed 1D. Man was that a tough year (work 5 days/wk and then academy 2 days/wk..very far away from home).

Hope you enjoy the level III classes and good luck getting hired. As others have said, I would also recommend doing at least level II for a meaningful career as a reserve.

I also recommend joining CRPOA.

aaron1984 09-20-2017 1:20 AM

Reserve status.

I was a reserve for 12 months and then I went full time. Most agencies want level 2 and level 1. Level 3 really can't do anything without being with another officers.

Riverside county sheriffs I think will take a level 3, br I don't know if many that will.

pitbuljake 09-20-2017 9:10 PM

FWIW, I spent 10 years as a RO. Six as a level II (That's because my dept moves real slow in promoting) and four as non-designated level 1. I worked solo once I promoted. I enjoyed it for sure, though there were times it was tough.

I would say look at large departments, more opportunities for advancement, special assignments and probably better training. Get as much training as possible and learn from seasoned veterans. During training ask lots of questions, know the penal and vehicle code well, plus any local codes.

Lastly, and most important. always be aware of your surroundings and know where you are at all times! Your life, your fellow officers lives and the public depend on it, I can't stress this enough. Good luck!

Jake

Elbow_Iso31 09-21-2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 230infantry (Post 20667457)
don't sweat the modules man. the tests were easy, at least to me. most of it is common sense type stuff. we had a test almost every week in level 2. i got my cert in may and now they're doing the test at the end. its all what you make of it.

Nice! Hope to be at your level by next year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911_sfca (Post 20668988)
Yes, I have been a reserve for the last 10 years. I started as a level 2 in '07 and then went back and did the level I academy part time in 2011 and was appointed 1D. Man was that a tough year (work 5 days/wk and then academy 2 days/wk..very far away from home).

Hope you enjoy the level III classes and good luck getting hired. As others have said, I would also recommend doing at least level II for a meaningful career as a reserve.

I also recommend joining CRPOA.

Looked into CRPOA. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron1984 (Post 20668990)
I was a reserve for 12 months and then I went full time. Most agencies want level 2 and level 1. Level 3 really can't do anything without being with another officers.

Riverside county sheriffs I think will take a level 3, br I don't know if many that will.

Yeah, same with the department I want to be in. They want level 2 at least.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitbuljake (Post 20672435)
FWIW, I spent 10 years as a RO. Six as a level II (That's because my dept moves real slow in promoting) and four as non-designated level 1. I worked solo once I promoted. I enjoyed it for sure, though there were times it was tough.

I would say look at large departments, more opportunities for advancement, special assignments and probably better training. Get as much training as possible and learn from seasoned veterans. During training ask lots of questions, know the penal and vehicle code well, plus any local codes.

Lastly, and most important. always be aware of your surroundings and know where you are at all times! Your life, your fellow officers lives and the public depend on it, I can't stress this enough. Good luck!

Jake

Thanks for the tips!

aaron1984 09-22-2017 7:43 PM

good luck, I'm trying to go federal. ICE or DEA. I got tired of the BS in a dept.. lots of politics. it's like high school in some agencies, make sure its what you want.

1911_sfca 09-22-2017 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron1984 (Post 20680544)
good luck, I'm trying to go federal. ICE or DEA. I got tired of the BS in a dept.. lots of politics. it's like high school in some agencies, make sure its what you want.

It's good, as long as you don't mind not making any $.

Fed job, what are you making, 60k, 80k maybe 90 if you're super lucky?

Be a LEO in the Bay Area and make 90-100k starting... it's a yuuuge difference.

sdsu619 09-24-2017 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911_sfca (Post 20681235)
It's good, as long as you don't mind not making any $.

Fed job, what are you making, 60k, 80k maybe 90 if you're super lucky?

Be a LEO in the Bay Area and make 90-100k starting... it's a yuuuge difference.

1811's go to GS-13 (100k +/- 5k depending on locaility), plus an additional 25% Auto OT.

Roughly 125k with general weekends and holidays off.

DEA has this weird rule where you have to submit a "love me packet" for you 13. Not necessarily a promotion but its an extra hoop. Other agencies dont have this requirement.

That being said, I should have stayed local or state. Federal LE can be a joke at times.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

iDog 09-24-2017 5:03 PM

quick question, if you do all three modules is it the same as doing a regular "intensive" academy? Is the certification the same?

1911_sfca 09-24-2017 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iDog (Post 20688219)
quick question, if you do all three modules is it the same as doing a regular "intensive" academy? Is the certification the same?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: the academy ("regular basic course") has two formats: standard and modular. The standard format also has two styles: intensive and extended. If you complete all three modules, it is the same as the standard/intensive format, and you receive the same course completion certificate.

The vast majority of my classmates in (modular) Level 1 intended to become full time officers (and most of them did). There are two major advantages to this tack:
1) you can maintain a job while you're going to the academy, if you need to financially support yourself and/or family.
2) if you fail one of the modules and want to move forward, you only have to repeat that module, not the entire academy.

If you are squared away, want to take your chances w.r.t failing out, and want to get working ASAP (and don't need to financially support yourself for 6 1/2+ months), then the standard intensive format is the way to go.

I don't see a reason to do the standard extended format. The modular format would make more sense due to item 2) above. But maybe there is a case where this would make sense.

Downside to the modular program is that there is some level of overlap (repeat) of learning domains between the modules. But it's not a huge deal.

1911_sfca 09-24-2017 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdsu619 (Post 20687782)
1811's go to GS-13 (100k +/- 5k depending on locaility), plus an additional 25% Auto OT.

Roughly 125k with general weekends and holidays off.

DEA has this weird rule where you have to submit a "love me packet" for you 13. Not necessarily a promotion but its an extra hoop. Other agencies dont have this requirement.

That being said, I should have stayed local or state. Federal LE can be a joke at times.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was referring more to what an entry-level person or someone with a few years on the job would earn.

I haven't looked at lifetime earnings, pension or anything else like that. And as mentioned there may be other reasons to go Fed such as work environment. But I believe in an expensive market like San Francisco, starting salary is something to consider.

We have a few Fed LE's who are Reserves in our department. I believe they joined so that they could perform a wider variety of law enforcement duties. Their Fed assignments are..very specific.

chsk9 10-01-2017 8:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911_sfca (Post 20689641)
.... We have a few Fed LE's who are Reserves in our department. I believe they joined so that they could perform a wider variety of law enforcement duties. Their Fed assignments are..very specific.

I am surprised to hear that. I know a FLEO that was not allowed to work as reserves due to legalese conflicts.

epilepticninja 10-02-2017 7:07 PM

I was a Level 1 reserve sheriff's deputy back in the '90's. I held that position while I was also on active duty with the military. It lasted for six years until I was shipped to an assignment overseas.

I had a blast doing it and have always appreciated my experiences gleaned from being in law enforcement. Especially as a Level 1 where I worked patrol by myself (after passing FTO of course.) I would highly recommend it if you are looking to serve your community. You will get an insight into the public that not many jobs can give. Good luck.

Elbow_Iso31 10-02-2017 8:21 PM

Thanks!

Going to be wrapping up module 3 in a few weeks and registered for module 2 that starts next year. I have started inquiring to various departments around me about reserve positions and trying to schedule ride alongs.

Learned a lot by listening and paying attention to instructors and others hoping to get in the field.

Luckily for me I have kept my nose clean for all my adult life and am not afraid of the polygraph and background check should I hopefully get to that point.

Credit card debt is good and my biggest balances is mortgage and student loan.

Getting thrown a lot of information and studying each night to retain the knowledge for the end of the module test.

Really hoping to get some time in as a level 2 before considering level 1.

Elbow_Iso31 10-26-2017 7:36 PM

Graduated from Module III last night. Feels good but not as satisfying as I thought. Registered for Module II that starts in February and am really hearing the call to Law Enforcement. I have applied to several agencies for entry level and in the mean time will probably apply for a reserve position.

TrailerparkTrash 10-27-2017 10:05 PM

Oh no, not this topic again. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

DCH 10-28-2017 7:02 AM

4 years as a Level 1 (did module 3,2,1..3 on my own, 2&1 as a sponsored recruit but volunteer/unpaid)
East L.A. area for a very small agency back in the early 2000’s.
Highly recommend it, as I miss the action, cameraderie, and fun of LE and serving your community..

Heck, I shoulda been paying them for all the great times in the field.

DCH

Elbow_Iso31 10-28-2017 10:17 AM

^^^Thanks! I heard that Walnut Creek PD uses their reserves a ton.

johncage 07-25-2021 1:37 AM

how easy is search and rescue? how often do i get to do it? if i do module 3 and become a level 3 reserve all i have to do is transport things around and stack boxes and paperwork, and i don't even need to go apparently i just need to attend the mandatory meetings every month and get my off roster pistols purchased before they fire me?

ldsnet 07-25-2021 4:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johncage (Post 25988859)
how easy is search and rescue? how often do i get to do it? if i do module 3 and become a level 3 reserve all i have to do is transport things around and stack boxes and paperwork, and i don't even need to go apparently i just need to attend the mandatory meetings every month and get my off roster pistols purchased before they fire me?

Depends on your county. The level III training is a full semester, and my county search and rescue training is another 5 months. Minimum county involvement is 100hr a year (just for SAR).
What you can and can't do is entirely dependent on your Sheriff and their policies.
In San Diego, we average 3 SAR callouts a month (more as the weather reaches extremes, hot or cold).
Send me a PM if you want more info.
L