Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Placer (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=352775)

Gray Peterson 10-14-2010 10:22 PM

Placer

(deleted old info re CGF's old GC statements' link)

Originally Posted by Norcal_Flyfisherman:
Quote:

FYI, Placer is accepting self defense for cause now. I had a nice letter all typed out and didn't even need it.

Scarecrow Repair 10-18-2010 7:28 PM

Oh dear

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gray Peterson (Post 5129621)

Please forgive me, for I am about to sin ...

That wouldn't be a .... Placer holder .... would it?

I am planning to apply for the CCW on Thursday, if that's the equivalent of three Hail Marys.

JeffCinSac 10-19-2010 7:52 AM

I am currently licensed in Placer. Standing by to assist as directed.

VTRweasel 10-19-2010 8:10 AM

Hang Town! :patriot:

Anti-Hero 10-19-2010 7:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTRweasel (Post 5151850)
Hang Town! :patriot:

Is in El Dorado county. :D

VTRweasel 10-20-2010 6:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anti-Hero (Post 5155960)
Is in El Dorado county. :D

D'oh.

^was thinking Placerville^

Mstrty 10-20-2010 6:29 PM

So is placer issuing? "Self defense" or do you need some elaboret GS statement

hylander 10-20-2010 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombmaster (Post 5161456)

Not Elaboret, but you do need a GS statement.
"Self Defense" is not considered GS.

obeygiant 10-20-2010 8:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bombmaster (Post 5161456)

Quote:

Originally Posted by hylander (Post 5162016)
Not Elaboret, but you do need a GS statement.
"Self Defense" is not considered GS.

Did you mean "elaborate" and Good Cause? :confused:

Scarecrow Repair 10-20-2010 9:06 PM

Does "Live in the boonies and hike a lot" do the trick?

pitchbaby 10-20-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarecrow Repair (Post 5162418)
Does "Live in the boonies and hike a lot" do the trick?

That is not to far off from what my neighbor used to get his... but he tied it to his occupation and BAM... issued 2 weeks later (an actual two weeks in real world... not Calguns time.)

hylander 10-21-2010 6:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obeygiant (Post 5162174)
Did you mean "elaborate" and Good Cause? :confused:

You need good cause, but do not Elaborate it, keep it simple and to the point.
One paragraph, Placer County doen't want your Bio.
After you submit your paperwork you will get an appointment a short interwiew with the Sherriff, where he will ask you for more detail.

calgunner1 10-21-2010 10:06 AM

Does it help if you are friends with people in the PCSO. (PLACER COUNTY SHERIFF OFFICE) Both high and low on the totum? Sgt; Det; Swat Team members;ETC.
If you drop some names, help or hurt?... Any thoughts?

pitchbaby 10-21-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calgunner1 (Post 5164549)
Does it help if you are friends with people in the PCSO. (PLACER COUNTY SHERIFF OFFICE) Both high and low on the totum? Sgt; Det; Swat Team members;ETC.
If you drop some names, help or hurt?... Any thoughts?

Don't name drop, but get them to write letters of character. The interviewer there specifically said to me that such things "help".

Scarecrow Repair 10-21-2010 10:23 AM

I am holding off on my app

I tried a holster for a Glock 19, an Uncle Mike's inside the pant model 15, just to see how it would feel, and it was not what I expected. Not only did it feel awkward and uncomfortable from size alone, far more of the gun stuck out over the waistline than I had expected. I also bought a smaller holster for a Beretta Tomcat, even tho I don't have one, just to get an idea of the size difference.

The upshot is that I think I had better get this settled before I submit an app. I'd feel like a fool applying when I don't feel comfortable carrying yet. Heck, if it doesn't even feel comfortable around the house, that's not a good sign :-(

But it certainly would be handier for walking around here than slinging a rifle over my shoulder!

hylander 10-21-2010 2:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitchbaby (Post 5164645)
Don't name drop, but get them to write letters of character. The interviewer there specifically said to me that such things "help".

+1
Name dropping may hurt more than help

downfall 10-21-2010 6:29 PM

Placer Co. CCW

What is the take on Placer County Sherrifs CCW approval rate and good cause requirements?

pitchbaby 10-23-2010 2:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downfall (Post 5167444)
What is the take on Placer County Sherrifs CCW approval rate and good cause requirements?

Not sure what the approval rate actually is... but I would imagine it is on the high side. Currently, though... regardless of good cause and otherwise clean record.... if you have too many traffic citations, they won't issue on the grounds that they assume that since you can't follow simple traffic rules, you must be aggressive and/or have little regard for the law in general... even if you have never been arrested for anything at all whatsoever.

I am pretty sure that Calguns has a different take on this opinion. Perhaps in the coming weeks or months, we could be seeing things happen now that all this attention to individual counties is being paid.

pitchbaby 10-23-2010 2:49 PM

FINER POINTS IN GETTING A PERMIT IN PLACER

Having gone through this process and seeing others go through it, I thought it might be nice for those of you who are new to it to be brought up to speed on some of the finer details that are good to know when your ready to deal with the county.

The link to the official CCW page for the county is here:
http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments...ponPermit.aspx

The link to get the application is here:
http://www.placer.ca.gov/Departments...s/ccw_app.ashx

The name of the girl to speak to for making an appointment is Jessica. She can be contacted at this number:
530-889-7812

The meeting will be held at:
2929 Richardson Dr
Auburn CA 95603

The interviewer that meets with you at this present time is Retired Captain Karl Fulenwider. From what I understand, he is not on a set schedule, but does do what he can to come in regularly to keep the backlog on applicants from getting too long. It can take about a month from your call to make an appointment to the time you actually meet him. I have heard others say their meetings took longer or less. It's just luck of the draw based on when you call and how busy they are with applicants. You are usually given a number of where you are in line when you make your appointment.
Notable points about the retired captain is that he served on the SWAT team. Also, he was recently highlighted in an article being one of highest paid retiree's in the county. The article can be found here.
http://auburnjournal.com/detail/155497.html

If you are denied, you have the right to make an appeal by submitting a letter to Captain Don Hutchinson. It might even be possible to set a meeting with him according to Jessica, but I have personally not been able to confirm that he will actually take the meeting to review an appeal.

That is pretty much what I know. I hope it can help!

thatrogue 10-27-2010 3:19 PM

Jessica called and scheduled me today they are currently doing two interviews days on the 4th and 6th of November... she seemed as a matter of fact that she will do my live scan after the interview I'm excited for sure...on a separate note, I was told by Casey Mcpartland during my class that they do not do your live scan and accept your check if they are not going to accept your GC seems fair, although is this known to be true???

pitchbaby 10-27-2010 3:22 PM

What number in line are you?

Jeremy K. 10-27-2010 5:41 PM

Can a Roseville resident apply directly to the Placer Co SO?

pitchbaby 10-27-2010 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy K. (Post 5200137)
Can a Roseville resident apply directly to the Placer Co SO?

Yes

Jeremy K. 10-27-2010 6:25 PM

Sweet, and thanks for the walk through a couple of posts back pitchbaby. I'll forward the info to my coworker who wants to apply out there and report back on his progress.

pitchbaby 10-27-2010 6:33 PM

No prob Jeremy...

Thatrogue... yes, this is true... they only bill you for the goods in Placer... VERIFIED.

thatrogue 10-27-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitchbaby (Post 5200414)
No prob Jeremy...

Thatrogue... yes, this is true... they only bill you for the goods in Placer... VERIFIED.

sweet... so it's either "sorry" or "let's have Jessica Knock out your livescan"

My number in line was 3 however I turned down a Oct 5th appointment as I had a schedule conflict... total time from 1st call to 1st offer of appointment was less than 4 days... I am extremely pleased with Jessica's professionalism and follow up, cant wait to meet her and the retired captain.:cool2:

You specifically mention traffic citations which I have quite a few Speeding/red light camera/ seat belt/ towing related tickets over the years (drove around 60k miles per year for the last 10 years) and two recently... I have only 2 points currently and need advise on how to address this. On the application It ask's you to mention all citations or accidents, does this include even those that are not currently listed on a "soft pull" from DMV?

pitchbaby 10-27-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatrogue (Post 5202084)
sweet... so it's either "sorry" or "let's have Jessica Knock out your livescan"

My number in line was 3 however I turned down a Oct 5th appointment as I had a schedule conflict... total time from 1st call to 1st offer of appointment was less than 4 days... I am extremely pleased with Jessica's professionalism and follow up, cant wait to meet her and the retired captain.:cool2:

You specifically mention traffic citations which I have quite a few Speeding/red light camera/ seat belt/ towing related tickets over the years (drove around 60k miles per year for the last 10 years) and two recently... I have only 2 points currently and need advise on how to address this. On the application It ask's you to mention all citations or accidents, does this include even those that are not currently listed on a "soft pull" from DMV?

Yup... they don't waste their time or your money if you don't make the cut.

If you don't mind my asking... how is your traffic record? They have a habit of denying for just a few tickets.

thatrogue 10-29-2010 8:38 AM

Two current points one for towing with only one chain, and another for doing 65 while towing. I have another speeding ticket recently that won't hit a point as I'm doing traffic school.

2 or three other violations over the last 12 years.

pitchbaby 10-29-2010 8:48 AM

The recent ticket will still need disclosure as they will have a record of it regardless of your traffic school situation. The 65 while towing won't help either. Anything beyond the 5 to 7 year mark won't matter. I believe they have a 7 year history available to them, but the application only asks for 5 years to be disclosed.

It will be interesting to see how Capt. Fulenwider perceives your character with a couple of speeding tickets on there. There is apparently more than one time when he has denied stating that it shows a lack of character... however I would have to venture a guess to say that you are good to go because there are just 2 of them and nothing else of note to go with them. If you had a third speed or perhaps a tailgating or something like that to go with it, I think you would be toast.

Either way, I would be very interested in knowing the outcome of your interview right away. PM me if you want my number. Feel free to pick my brain before going in if you like... hehe! Just remember though... I am average "joe" citizen, so I am no better of a source than your next door neighbor except for I have been through the process before and know others who have as well and have "collected" their stories.

thatrogue 10-29-2010 11:42 PM

Pm sent PB

thatrogue 10-30-2010 2:27 PM

Good talking to you PB

pitchbaby 10-30-2010 2:30 PM

You too... check your PM's

pitchbaby 10-30-2010 2:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scarecrow Repair (Post 5149618)
Please forgive me, for I am about to sin ...

That wouldn't be a .... Placer holder .... would it?

I am planning to apply for the CCW on Thursday, if that's the equivalent of three Hail Marys.

How did it go? You get printed?

thatrogue 10-30-2010 10:23 PM

Speaking to my CHP officer buddy he states that cell and seat belt tickets are non moving violations and according to the ccw application it specifically states to list moving violations only. So.... I'm not listing these what do you and Gray think?

thebronze 10-31-2010 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTRweasel (Post 5157566)
D'oh.

^was thinking Placerville^

Placerville is still in El Dorado County.

Anti-Hero 11-04-2010 9:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatrogue (Post 5217625)
Speaking to my CHP officer buddy he states that cell and seat belt tickets are non moving violations and according to the ccw application it specifically states to list moving violations only. So.... I'm not listing these what do you and Gray think?

You should certainly disclose this. You will get asked questions that Captain Fulenwider already knows the answer too regarding traffic violations. It's a character test, don't get caught in a lie by omission.

Everyone there is very professional and friendly. Be honest, be professional and everything will be fine.

I should know in two weeks to three months if I am approved. Good luck!

thatrogue 11-07-2010 9:57 PM

I never suggested lying, I said I was not putting non moving violations on a section that specifically stated not to.

Btw I had my interview on the 6th and was giving the nod to move forward and pay my fees, live scan ect. I actually signed my completed permit!!! Jessica said the DOJ is taking for ever these days and I probably wont see my permit for at least a month.

Anti-Hero 11-08-2010 7:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatrogue (Post 5263847)
I never suggested lying, I said I was not putting non moving violations on a section that specifically stated not to.

Btw I had my interview on the 6th and was giving the nod to move forward and pay my fees, live scan ect. I actually signed my completed permit!!! Jessica said the DOJ is taking for ever these days and I probably wont see my permit for at least a month.

That's standard procedure for Placer. Everyone that applies signs their permit, pays their $210.00, and gets live scanned. I think it's just to tease you, being so close yet so far.

pitchbaby 11-08-2010 9:45 AM

Placer won't bother taking your money unless they plan on approving you pending the outcome of the livescan. This is verified.

EDIT: In the case of Thatrogue, I understand that they did plan to grant him a permit... it was an after thought apparently that he got re-reviewed and denied for traffic citations.

Anti-Hero 11-08-2010 2:42 PM

I hope that is the case.