Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Concealed Carry Discussion (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   CCW question in reguards to security work (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=810865)

BTAzombieHunter 08-20-2013 11:04 AM

CCW question in reguards to security work

Let me start by saying i have wanted a ccw long before i thought about going into security, but funds were not available. I currently work as an armed guard in Sac county, the company has a few openings in Executive Protection that would require me to be in plain clothes with my weapon concealed. It is my understanding that I could get my ccw for work purposes but there may be restrictions placed on it "for work purposes only." As i stated in the begging i want to carry concealed on and off duty. So the question i am asking is, would it be a bad idea not to mention the line of work i am in? If so Is there a particular way i could word my application to be able to carry concealed on and off duty? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

BTAzombieHunter 08-20-2013 11:28 AM

I also work a second job in construction that i could list as my employment verification.

allpoint 08-20-2013 11:52 AM

In San Diego Cty mine reads, "Plain Clothes security and protective services only". If your security company is going to sign off approval for you to get your ccw, it would have to show for security. I take the Plain Clothes Security statement to mean that's what the permit is for not that's why I'm carrying while not Plain clothes security. I've presented my CCW to LE while not working and nothing came of it.

Noggles 08-20-2013 11:56 AM

Shouldn't matter since Sac Co. is shall issue.

BTAzombieHunter 08-20-2013 12:02 PM

thanks allpoint that makes sence. Noggles could you explain "shall issue" in a little more detail?

bigdawg86 08-20-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BTAzombieHunter (Post 12113543)
thanks allpoint that makes sence. Noggles could you explain "shall issue" in a little more detail?

As long as you are note a prohibited person, You ask, they issue.

Noggles 08-20-2013 5:37 PM

"Shall issue" means "not discretionary issue"... That is, no good cause or good moral character crap is required. If you aren't a bum and want a permit, you apply, and after a while you get the permit. Very simple. Has nothing to do with an existing or potential job that may or may not require carrying a weapon.

Dvrjon 08-25-2013 9:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noggles (Post 12116146)
"Shall issue" means "not discretionary issue"... That is, no good cause or good moral character crap is required. If you aren't a bum and want a permit, you apply, and after a while you get the permit. Very simple. Has nothing to do with an existing or potential job that may or may not require carrying a weapon.

A little more clarity may be in order. State “shall issue laws” require state and local authorities to issue licenses to individuals authorizing the carrying of a concealed firearm as long as the individuals meet enumerated criteria. These laws are distinguishable from “may issue laws,” which require an individual to establish a compelling need to carry a concealed firearm. Shall/May Issue States can be identified here: http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...formation.html

Under California law, there is no "shall issue" authority; it is "may issue" and requires a compelling need (Good Cause). California CCW issue is all discretionary, as in "may issue" (see code, below).

Some Issuing Agencies have, however, established a review process which, if you meet the basic standards, results in issuance in the majority of cases. It cannot, under statute, be "shall issue", but creates a near "shall issue" environment by accepting the simple, straight-forward Compelling need statement of "self-Defense. (Correct, this makes very little common sense, but it is what it is).

The statute DOES require proof of good cause and moral character.

In Sacramento County, the Sheriff has determined that "good cause" is "self defense". Because of this, claiming a good cause for job-related activities is not required for application, and some have reported that their applications were modified during the interview to remove the job reference and simply reflect "self-defense". (It may be prudent to include the job-related reference on the application, just in case you have a business related shooting in the future. The Sheriff may remove it later, but at least you will be on record).

Not having a criminal or (recent) aberrant behavior background is the moral character test.

Penal Code 26150:
26150. (a) When a person applies for a license to carry a pistol,
revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the
person, the sheriff of a county may issue a license to that person
upon proof of all of the following:
(1) The applicant is of good moral character.
(2) Good cause exists for issuance of the license.
(3) The applicant is a resident of the county or a city within the
county, or the applicant's principal place of employment or business
is in the county or a city within the county and the applicant
spends a substantial period of time in that place of employment or
business.

Cheers,

JR

fizux 08-26-2013 7:58 PM

In summary, if you live in Sac County and aren't a screwup, "self defense" is sufficient good cause. That covers off-duty concealed carry, and is one of the requirements to carry concealed working security.

To work as armed security, you need a guard card AND a BSIS firearms card, in addition to the CCW to carry concealed. You also need to work for a licensed private patrol operator. If working as a plainclothes licensed private investigator doing PSD / Exec Protection, you also need the BSIS gun card in addition to the CCW.

P5Ret 08-26-2013 8:43 PM

There may be BSIS regs that you have to comply with also, I've never looked so I don't know for sure. It is better to check than to have you guard card revoked by them for violating some regulation they have.

Markinsac 08-26-2013 8:44 PM

My original cause letter stated I wished to carry for both personal protection, and that I would also be able to work plain clothes for a security company. Make copies of your guard card and firearm permit and submit them as well with your application.

Dvrjon 08-27-2013 4:11 PM

Some training organizations combine BSIS gun card with the concealed carry training (CSTI in Sac, for one). You can clear both training requirements at the same time.

JR