Calguns.net

Calguns.net (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php)
-   Concealed Carry Discussion (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Illinois CCW; non-resident (https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=880019)

LCU1670 01-15-2014 7:04 AM

Illinois CCW; non-resident

Since I am from Illinois, I thought I would see if they now offer a non-resident CCW, they do. As I read, they have a training exemption if you are from a state with simular training requirements. So I think, what can be harder than a California CCW, so we should be good to go? Illinois is like California, they do not recognize anyone elses CCW (no reciprocity).

So, I go to that part of their laws to see which states are exempt from the Illinois training requirement, and the ONLY one is Hawaii!!!

From what I read, Hawaii hasn't issued a CCW for well over twenty years!

One thing I did notice is they require 16 hours training, but if you are prior military, to include reserve and national guard, they give you 8 hours credit, so you only have to take 8 hours. Resident is $150.00, non-resident $300.00 and is good for 5 years.

WARTFROG 01-15-2014 7:34 AM

Nope. Black state.

Fate 01-17-2014 9:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WARTFROG (Post 13208499)
Nope. Black state.

Froggy been under a rock too long. IL is now issuing CC licenses due to recent court smackdown.

LCU1670 01-18-2014 9:19 AM

Funny thing, when it does happen, it will be easier than Cali, and 5 years!!

Knomad 01-19-2014 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LCU1670 (Post 13208310)
Since I am from Illinois, I thought I would see if they now offer a non-resident CCW, they do. As I read, they have a training exemption if you are from a state with simular training requirements. So I think, what can be harder than a California CCW, so we should be good to go? Illinois is like California, they do not recognize anyone elses CCW (no reciprocity).

So, I go to that part of their laws to see which states are exempt from the Illinois training requirement, and the ONLY one is Hawaii!!!

From what I read, Hawaii hasn't issued a CCW for well over twenty years!

One thing I did notice is they require 16 hours training, but if you are prior military, to include reserve and national guard, they give you 8 hours credit, so you only have to take 8 hours. Resident is $150.00, non-resident $300.00 and is good for 5 years.

I too am originally from Illinois and still work there quite a bit, so I've been following this fairly closely at illinoiscarry.com

I wouldn't worry too much just yet about the "substantially similar" requirement. ISP is probably overwhelmed with resident applications (averaging 1,700 a day being processed last I checked) and it takes a while to do the research on each states requirements. Let's give ISP the benefit of the doubt for now and assume that they're giving priority to the flood of resident applications (which is only fair, after all) and that they'll get around to reviewing more states when they can. Now if nothing happens in a few months, then maybe it's time to worry.

The "substantially similar" clause has a lot to do with mental health reporting, and California is one of the better states for that. So I think we're in a better position than many states.

There are no California instructors certified yet by ISP as of about a week ago, and there were some ambiguities in the draft rule about all instructors needing to get a permit by a certain time... so that needs to be sorted out also. Most of the noise is coming from instructors in bordering states, as one would expect. In any case I don't expect to be back in Illinois til at least April, so I'll be happy if it's sorted out by then so I can take the remaining 12 hours of training I'll need (Utah counts for 4 hours) while there and then apply.

The cooler heads I've talked to about this say that the key hurdle is getting shall issue; other midwestern states that got that far subsequently cleaned up some of the ambiguities and poorly thought out restrictions. Considering the chaos associated with the last-second passage of the IL legislation, I agree that there will need to be some refining of the regs.

So let's keep an eye on it and hope they get it worked out soon.

Jason95357 01-22-2014 6:57 PM

Marking this thread to watch. I don't want to travel for training, but if they'll accept California CCW and/or requirements, I'll consider applying. $300 up front is a bit steep, but $60/year isn't horrible. I haven't seen anything about renewal fees yet.

nicki 01-27-2014 9:13 PM

Law still could be "tweeked" by courts.

The fact that the only state to qualify for a non resident permit is a state that hasn't issued in 20 years won't go over well with the 7th circuit.
The 300 dollar fee for a non resident permit versus the 150 dollar fee is a significant burden, especially if the state police are making a profit when the permits are 150.

And why we are at it, when you add up cost of training 16hrs and the 150 dollar permit, the cost to get a CCW permit is probably at least 300 to 500 dollars.

Many of the people who need the permits the most, poor honest folks who live in Chiraq won't be able to afford the permits.

The non resident fee is high enough that I would only see people who regularly go into Illonis applying for one.

The renewal fee will be the key. The fact that you also have to have a permit from your home state means the law has built in discrimination against people who live in states where permits are rarely issued, like Hawaii.

Nicki